Hot spot

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norm has a really bad hot spot on the top of his head. This is his fist one and my other Bullie never had this. Anyone ever dealt with one before? What did you do?

The vet shaved his poor head because it was all gooey with green slime. And he's on antibiotics for it. It is so weird because my hubby or I never noticed one there and we clean his face every day. LeRoy and him got into another fight and the vet thinks this may have made it flare up.

Could it be his food? He's on Fromm senior. I just bought a bag of pork and applesauce. I don't know. I feel like such a bad momma for not noticing it sooner.:*(

marshahennessey

Sep 3, 2010
Norm may very well be allergic to his food. One of my 6 bullies has skin issues and developed hot spots before we adjusted his food to include NO corn, soy or wheat products. This also must include any snacks (bones, treats, etc.) he receives. His first few hot spots were treated by our vet the way you described. It took FOREVER before his hair grew back on the shaved areas except where the actual hot spot was. The next time I was at the vet I was chatting with the vet tech, a country girl with LOTS of experience with animals. She whispered that she treats hot spots by washing them well with an antibacterial soap, dry the area and keep it coated with GOLD BOND Medicated Powder. I have tried this several times since and IT WORKS. You have to wash the area a couple of times a day for the first few days, but after that it is healing. Your pet will probably loose the hair in the affected area, but it grows back much quicker than a big area shaved by vet. The GOLD BOND medicated powder also doesn't taste good and it keeps the pet, or others in the house, from licking the area.

HOPE THIS HELPS Norm!

marshahennessey

Sep 3, 2010
Forgot to mention.....we feed our guys DIAMOND Naturals Lamb and Rice food (no corn, soy or wheat) and for treats we use NUTRO Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Rice and Lamb meal formula treats.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Hmmm... interesting. I'll have to try the Gold Bond Powder. The only treats I feed him are dehydrated animal organs- like lambs lung and beef liver. I'll check his new bag to see if it has corn, soy or wheat.

SHould I continue with the antibiotic, you think? I've been putting tritop on it also.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
So I checked his food and there aren't any of those ingredients in either of the food. It just has brown rice, yeast and barley. Could any of that cause the hot spot?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have never dealt with a hot spot, and I'm glad I haven't had to. Green slime sounds awful! I'm glad you got him in and he's being treated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tidus got a hot spot and it ended up being chicken or grains, or both. Happened about 5-6 days after I tried the Fromm 4 star chicken. No problems now that he is on Fromm 4 star beef Fritatta. Did you just recently put him on the pork and applesauce flavor?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ok so this is the hot spot you were telling me he needed the antibiotics for. Poor Norm! I would continue the antibiotics so any infection can be prevented. I have never dealt with a hot spot but all Samson's skin issues have been cleared up with a grain free and chicken free diet. Don't feel bad, these things happen and you acted when you saw it. There is nothing else you can do! And oh no, I am sorry to hear LeRoy and him got into it again :( Maybe try Fromm Surf & Turf or Beef Frittata next time, they are both grain free so that may help!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Oh! Poor bully. I would continue on the antibiotic once it has been started until it is completed. I hope it clears up soon!

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I know it may sound weird but Gold Bond Powder does work for skin irritations. I have been doing alot of reading and asking around to people who are more involved with holistic healing, etc. I found alot of people who recommend the powder for their skin and epsom salt for the cysts they may get on their toes alot.

I just recently used Gold Bond on my bulldog's hot spot (of course after cleaning it well first) and it did go away pretty quick.

I hope it helps in the future and definitely finish all antibiotics your dog is one once started. It does more harm than good for humans or animals if you do not finish all antibiotics prescribed.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] Norm is doing much better. Thanks for asking!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.