OTC skin cream for bulldogs?

thesakedoctor

Sep 3, 2014
Our Bullie has lots of dry, bald patches all over and we've tried lots of Rx skin cream from vets and they don't work well. Any OTC stuff anyone knows about, or a home remedy that works well?

--J.Haas

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You can try a good fish oil. I know many here use Salmon.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] can help more with this.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think it's a pure oil that's pumped into their food.
google "grizzly salmon oil for dogs".

Also do a search on it in this forum for more info.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would recommend using coconut oil, or Aquaphor. I use both on my boxer's nose, she has dry patches on the top. Does the vet know why your baby has the bald spots?!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, many skin issues such as dry skin, flaky skin, and hair loss can be caused to allergies to dog food or environmental factors. Most food allergies cause systemic symptoms from the inside, which affect the skin, coat, cause shedding, bald spots and itchiness. Environmental allergies cause more symptoms like runny eyes or nose. There are many natural supplements that you can add to their daily routine and kibble that will help with allergy symptoms. I add 4 supplements to my guys kibble everyday. I add 2 Tbsp of plain unsweetened or Natural yogurt to their morning kibble everyday, for the Probiotics, it is good for digestion, and also boosts the immune system, which helps to fight infections, parasites, and allergy symptoms. Allergies are caused by an abnormal response of the immune system. I add 1 Tbsp of Apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, there are many health benefits to ACV. It is a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of diseases are caused by inflammation in the body ). ACV kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. If you go to the Home page, and look on the right hand side, you will find many great articles. There is an excellent article posted by Sherry on the Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar. I also add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil to their evening kibble, this provides an excellent source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are great for the skin, coat, and brain, plus many other health. benefits. They also get 1 tsp. of Kelp in their evening kibble, Kelp provides every vitamin and mineral your dog will ever need.

The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs

by Dogs Naturally Magazine in Nutrition And Diet

Although supplements can be a confusing topic for many pet owners, most dog owners have heard of the benefits of feeding fish oils. There are however, a variety of oils that you can also use to your dogā€™s benefit, each with different actions and benefits.

Coconut oil consists of more than 90% saturated fats, with traces of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most of the saturated fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). The main component (more than 40%) of MCTs is lauric acid, followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic. Coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and about 6% oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acids).

Most of the coconut oil benefits come from the MCTs. For example, the lauric acid in coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their anti-fungal effects.

In addition, MCTs are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss. In dogs, the MCTs in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic.

According to Dr. Bruce Fife, certified nutritionist and naturopathic doctor, coconut oil gently elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects you from illness, and speeds healing. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dogā€™s skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.

Fed regularly to pets, coconut oil may have multiple benefits:

Skin Conditions

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
Digestion

Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health

Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
Helps prevent or control diabetes
Helps reduce weight, increases energy
Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
Integrative Veterinarian and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Karen Becker, says ā€œMedium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) have been shown to improve brain energy metabolism and decrease the amyloid protein buildup that results in brain lesions in older dogs. Coconut oil is a rich source of MCTs. I recommend 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily for basic MCT support.ā€

Why not give coconut oil a try and introduce it to your dog? It offers many benefits for your dog and is a more sustainable and less toxic source of oils than fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Kelp Is Great for Your Dog

Kelp has been touted as a highly beneficial supplement for humans for some time. It contains lots of vitamins and minerals, some of which are hard to get from other sources. But did you know that kelp has numerous benefits for dogs as well.
Feeding your dog kelp on a regular basis can do great things for his health. Here are some of the benefits you can expect to see:

Shinier coat and softer, healthier skin

Better digestion

Increased immune function, which means less sickness and quicker healing from injuries

Greater milk production in lactating females

Healthier puppies born to parents that were given kelp

Kelp is especially beneficial for glandular health. This results in greater balance throughout the dogā€™s system, as well as less incidence of hyperthyroidism and other glandular disorders. The thyroid and pituitary glands directly affect digestion, so this explains in part why dogs that eat kelp digest their food and absorb nutrients better. They have a more efficient metabolism, too.

Dogs also need plenty of fiber to keep their digestive systems in check, and kelp is a great source of fiber. This keeps the digestive tract clean and helps prevent absorption of toxic metals. A diet high in fiber also helps fight inflammation, rheumatism, and the development and growth of tumors.

Puppies can benefit greatly from kelp as well. It contains many of the things they need to grow up healthy and strong. Kelp given to reproducing dogs will make birthing easier and result in better health and increased survival rates for their puppies.

Kelp contains over 100 nutrients that your dog needs. It is a wonderful source of trace minerals, including iodine, magnesium, zinc, copper, gold, cobalt, and selenium. Also found in kelp are high levels of B vitamins, as well as Vitamin E and C. In addition to these vitamins and minerals, kelp is also rich in amino acids.

The easiest way to include kelp in your dogā€™s diet is to give him food that contains it each day. Kelp is also available in dried form, which preserves its nutritional benefits very well. There are also a number of kelp supplements in various forms on the market, but these vary in effectiveness.

Kelp has been called a miracle plant due to its outstanding nutritional value and ability to balance the human system. Including it in your dogā€™s diet on a regular basis can improve his overall health and help treat a number of existing health problems. Whether included as an ingredient in your dogā€™s food or given as a supplement, kelp is one of the best things you can give your best friend.

Judeanrn

Jan 7, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodacious
I use flaxseed oil on his food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mskrys

Sep 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor
My Bully had spots with alopecia and crusty areas. Vet gave him an antibiotic - but also thought it could be a food allergy, and suggested we go poultry free for a while. That did the trick. Now his protein in kibble is either beef,lamb or fish. Hair grew back and no problems since.

juanrmattos

Sep 18, 2013
Miami Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Becky
Been through the spots a few times and I realized most of the time is either the food or the heat...

If you are like me and like to share some of your food with your buddy (Within reason), you will realize that they cant deal too well with condiments, salt or pasteurized products. I use to bring her a tall cup of chicken soup from my favorite restaurant, two or three days after, she had spots in many places.... Same with my breakfast, a couple bites of Mozzarella cheese that she loves and spots right away. Once I stopped feeding her those two, or anything with salt they became very sporadic and minor, I attribute those to the high temperatures in Florida.

When she gets them I use over the counter triple antibiotic in gel, the next day the spot is hairless but totally clean and her hair comes back in a couple weeks.

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
In my situation it's a combination of environmental and heat. Every day when we get back from our walks I have to thoroughly clean her paws. During the day I have to limit her exposure to direct sunlight, (in the summer) the combination of the 2 wreaks havoc on Ki's skin. If I don't clean her paws, her face will get crusty. If she stays in the heat too long (15-20min+) her wrinkles get all red and imflammed. The trick is prevention, I do almost everything mentioned here so far, plus we use malacetic wipes.

Over cleaning can cause irritation too!

Doggemom808

Sep 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Midnight
I'm new here but I've been using bag balm on my baby's dry patches. I use it in our entire family. From babies to adults. It's awesome stuff. Also coconut oil as a previous poster suggested.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.