Anal Glands

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! Barkley had been snapping toward his butt and acting like it was bothering him for a few days so over the weekend we took him to the vet to have his anal glands expressed.

They emptied them and said they were really full but nothing else. He still seems like they are bothering him a little and his butt smells horrible still (gag!). Is this a sign that there could be something else wrong or is it normal a few days after they are expressed?

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm not sure, none of my bullies need anal gland expressed but a couple have a tail pocket. That makes them bothered in the same area as well.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Fatso got an anal sac infection after the groomer expressed his the first time we took him there..it smelled pretty bad and he developed a blood bubble that had to get drained..we don't let the groomer do that anymore only his vet

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
My Staffordshire bull terrier baileys had anal gland problems. I had to go to the vets every 6 weeks to be emptied.
I just took it at one of those things that needed doing to keep her happy

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
Both Charlei and my Shepard/collie mix have to have them expressed every 2-3 months, their butts are smelly for a day or so, but it definetly wares off. The way I understand it, is that once they are more than 3/4 full, it can start to become dangerous (gland can rupture) and infection can set in, the vet would have been able to tell if that was the case by the way the 'fluid' looked when it was expressed, but I would call the vet and see what they think.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd give him a bath, should help with that smell.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas had to go about every 5 weeks to have his glands internally expressed. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] posted a video on how to do it yourself. My husband watched it several times and took on the task, now he does it. It cost $17 every time I took him and it took literally 3 minutes to express. It does not mean anything except they don't/can't express glands on their own. Vegas has never had infections of glands or pocket. I keep both very clean.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks everyone! The smell seems to be better now, I've smelled it still just a little bit but not like it was last week. We've been busy moving into a new house so we will have to give him a bath in the next few days and hopefully that will get rid of it completely!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We are lucky that none of ours have ever had problems with their anal glands, but I would also check the tail pocket to make sure it is clean.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone! The smell seems to be better now, I've smelled it still just a little bit but not like it was last week. We've been busy moving into a new house so we will have to give him a bath in the next few days and hopefully that will get rid of it completely!

Glad the smell is gone, well almost! best of luck with the new move -- keep in mind, Barkley will be a little off his game and not himself for a few days --- OCD Bullies babies, change can impact their behavior.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

So glad the smell has improved, I'm laughing because you said you just checked it so I'm picturing you sniffing his butt. Sorry!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online