Help Needed! Sick bulldog or allergies?

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
Hi guys,

This is my first post here and unfortunately, not the way I would like to join your community. However, I could really use some help since my bulldog is not feeling very well for the past couple days. I noticed it when I could hear him up all night breathing hard trying to cool down. He then had some diarrhea and loss of appetite. Along with that, or possibly because of that, he is very lethargic. The only visual symptoms I can see is that his skin is red on his belly. I have attached some pictures to help illustrate. Today he seemed to be doing better in the morning, he drank water. Unfortunately, he throw up yellow bile when I walked in from work. I am guessing that is from not eating. He accepted the two treats I gave him, but ate them very slowly. If I could describe him currently, I would say he is almost exactly how he was when he came home from surgery 5 years ago from a toy blockage. He seems really out of it.

My thoughts are that he possibly could have eaten something that he wasn't supposed to get into? We went outside one day and he was playing in the bushes, I am guessing he could have eaten something there. Other than that, we haven't done anything out of the usual.

Here is a picture of him getting his belly rubbed, notice the yellowish crust on his nose. That is a little different than usual:

Here is a picture of the redness, I think its a little hard to see in this picture:

Here he is with a treat, normally he would have scarfed this down already:

Here he is finally eating the treat with some encouragement:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi there, welcome to EBN.

The yellow crud on his nose.. is that discharge? Because it doesn't look like it.

The rash though, you need to put something on it. It may be an allergic reaction to a plant, grass or whatnot. I know Blue sometimes gets red around his privates if he squats for too long in grass.
My vet gave me "Betagen Topical Spray" that I've used for rashes, and such. It's really helped. You can get it online too but I think it requires an Rx from your vet.

Since you said he's acting the same way as when he had a blockage, the first thing I would do is take him in for a sonogram (I don't trust x-rays). You really want to rule it out.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Since you said he's acting the same way as when he had a blockage, the first thing I would do is take him in for a sonogram (I don't trust x-rays). You really want to rule it out.
I agree @Blueberrys Mom

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby! He's beautiful and welcome to the forum!

I agree, if he's not eating as well as throwing up I would be concerned. The crusty stuff on his nose just looks like dirt embedded in his hyper keratosis. You probably want to get him to the vet if he continues to refuse to eat. Is he drinking water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also agree with Blueberrys Mom and Lynn, it could be signs of an obstruction, and he should be seen by the vet to rule it out, especially because he's not eating, and he's vomiting, you don't want him to dehydrate. I hope he's okay, and it's nothing serious. I hope he feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a handsome fella.... nose is just dried up and needs to be cleaned and treated with something like Aquaphor or Mushers secret.

everything else... i agree with the others... could be another blockage and I would have him examined by your vet.

:welcome3: to EBN

OP
L

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
He is drinking water, but I have to walk him to the bowl and point to it.

When I mentioned he is acting the same when he had the blockage, I meant how he was when he returned from surgery(lazy and what not.) Also, I can't think of what he could have swallowed to get stuck, if he chews things up, he normally leaves pieces around. I didn't take my eyes off of him for long enough for him to have grabbed something in those bushes. I will take him in though, do you guys think I can just take him in tomorrow morning or emergency vet visit tonight?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is drinking water, but I have to walk him to the bowl and point to it.

When I mentioned he is acting the same when he had the blockage, I meant how he was when he returned from surgery(lazy and what not.) Also, I can't think of what he could have swallowed to get stuck, if he chews things up, he normally leaves pieces around. I didn't take my eyes off of him for long enough for him to have grabbed something in those bushes. I will take him in though, do you guys think I can just take him in tomorrow morning or emergency vet visit tonight?

Still now eating and lethargic? How is his breathing?

OP
L

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
Still now eating and lethargic? How is his breathing?

Sorry let me add some more, I just noticed that he is drinking water. He's not eating and he's still lethargic. He accepts treats, but doesn't seem to have the energy to go after the little bits that end up on the floor. He tried to poop just now when I took him out but nothing came out. He just keeps wanting to lay on the cooler wood floor so it touches his stomach area. It's like he's trying to cool himself off?

His breathing is not great, but it's how it always has been. Basically, nothing out of the ordinary breathing-wise except that I hear him at night panting and breathing with his mouth open.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The lethargic and no eating bit scares me. If possible, I would take him in tonight. Blue swallowed a squeaker that we also had to have removed. So now, I'm paranoid and wouldn't wait the second time around.

OP
L

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
Ok, so he just started eating after he smelled me heat up my food.

Edit: he didn't eat much, but he did it on his own as well.

Edit2: It's kind of weird, but now he's acting more like himself, he's begging for my wife's donut and just went after a bug on the wall.

OP
L

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
It's really weird, literally it was like a switch was flipped and he went back to normal. Could he just have been sick with a stomach bug or something?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That could happen, but I would monitor him closely and still take him to vet for a check up if he seems sick. Panting heavily without an apparent reason could be a sign of pain or discomfort. Glad he's doing better.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
L

Leyth

Sep 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Turbo
I did take him to a bulldog vet this morning. They couldn't find any blockages. They actually aren't really sure what is wrong. They gave him a shot to stop the nausea so we can try to kick start his eating again. I brought him into work with me and he is doing pretty alright so far.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.