Help with breathing issues

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
image.jpgMy 7 year old male bulldog, Gus, has me worried. It's sort of complicated but I'll give you the details.

On 8/7 my female Bullie was humping him showing off . The following day Gus would not leave his crate and did not eat which is very unusual for him. I know he has spine issues so I figured he was sore. He perked up and then a few days later I notice he had some green
snot. I noticed then that he was gagging after eating and drinking a lot of water. Also panting. His eyes were blood red. First visit to vet she took blood and gave him antibiotics and flagyl for lose bowels
and eye ointment. I took him back about five days later cause I was worried about possibility of bloat with constant gagging so vet took X-rays and saw nothing.

Hes not gagging as much cause now he eating chicken and rice and loves it but what worries me is the breathing. It's sort of a constant shallow panting. Could he have aspirated food.
What are the signs or symptoms of pneumonia? Wouldn't the vet see it in an X-ray.

Not sure where to turn....would it help to give him mucinex?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue had the same symptoms plus a "hacking" cough that sounded like he was gagging.

Anyway, I took him to AMC (Animal Medical Center) here and they did an x-ray. He had mild Bronchitis and a slightly inflamed trach. Was diagnosed with Kennel cough and put on 250 mg of azithromycin for a week.

Was told it can take up to 30 days to clear up. We then took him to our vet after we got back from Florida because his left eye was gooey. Turns out, Canine Influenza is going around our neighborhood so that's what she thinks it was.

Did the vet mention Kennel Cough? All the symptoms you're describing is exactly what Blue had.

OP
D

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
Thanks for responding. Gus has never been in a kennel. Is it possible he could contract kennel cough at home? He does not actually cough.Stupid question but do they actually cough with kennel cough or do they gag as well?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree it does sound like kennel cough, hot steamy bathroom can help break up the mucus. Stay in there with him to make sure he doesn't get too hot. 5-10 minutes is usually sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for responding. Gus has never been in a kennel. Is it possible he could contract kennel cough at home? He does not actually cough.Stupid question but do they actually cough with kennel cough or do they gag as well?

Kennel cough is just a generic term. The dog doesn't need to be in a kennel to catch it. Has he interacted with any other dogs at all? Even on walks? It's very contagious and doesn't take much for a dog to catch it.

Regarding do they actually cough; to me it sounds more like a gagging sound. Blue would get it if he tried to play, or just being too active. Kinda like he couldn't catch his breath. I don't think it sounds like a true cough.

OP
D

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
Come to think of it...my daughter was dog sitting a frenchie and brought her to our house for a quick visit..is it possible he could have contracted it from her? Is there a test for it. He's had the boradella vacine. Isn't that suppose to prevent it?
Also, will my other bullie contract it? Sorry for so many questions. I should joined this a long time ago. Lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have heard that kennel cough is making the rounds again, it's highly contagious… Hope you baby feels better soon!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Come to think of it...my daughter was dog sitting a frenchie and brought her to our house for a quick visit..is it possible he could have contracted it from her? Is there a test for it. He's had the boradella vacine. Isn't that suppose to prevent it?
Also, will my other bullie contract it? Sorry for so many questions. I should joined this a long time ago. Lol

There's no test for it. They may do an x-ray like they did for us, then diagnose based on symptoms and what the x-ray shows.

The Bordetella vaccine only protects from one strain, the most common strain, that's it.
Blue also had the vaccine since he interacts with dogs in our neighborhood every day.. didn't seem to help though.

And yes, it's very possible he could of got it from the frenchie. Even if the Frenchie didn't show symptoms.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I have heard that kennel cough is making the rounds again, it's highly contagious… Hope you baby feels better soon!!!

Canine Influenza is making it's rounds here.. terrible.

OP
D

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
Wow. Thanks so much for your feedback!! Really appreciate the quick response

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little man.... hope he feels better soon -- I agree, need to get him to the vet and have him checked for the cold, it could get worse before better

OP
D

Dolly

Sep 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby and Gus
He has been to the vet and is on cephalexin. This morning I tried to reintroduce his dog food and he started the gagging again along with the foam. Could this be an allergy? He was doing very well with chicken and rice.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He has been to the vet and is on cephalexin. This morning I tried to reintroduce his dog food and he started the gagging again along with the foam. Could this be an allergy? He was doing very well with chicken and rice.

It's possible, you never know with our bully babies! It could be he had a lot of mucus though from sleeping all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.