Eye Problems

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
So it seems that my poor Archie is having some eye/skin issues. This morning, we noticed that the skin fold that starts at the corner of his eye & goes down his cheek is red & raw looking. His eyes have been pretty goopy in the mornings lately & we've been wiping them with a damp cloth. There's also a kind of unpleasant smell from his eyes as well. I've noticed him rubbing at his eyes occasionally with his paws & he will walk past the sofa & rub his face along it as he walks by. No sign of cherry eye yet, but I'm wondering if this is the start? His eyes definitely look pretty droopy - like he's tired most of the time. My first question would be, any advice on what we can put on the red spot on his face to help it heal? And second, would you recommend a vet visit to have his eyes looked at? He's our first bulldog & I know their eyes tend to be droopy, just not sure what is normal & what would be cause for concern.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I've been through cherry eye with my female Blossom, she developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and we had her eyes repaired and spay surgery at the same time, when she was 7 months old. She didn't have any goop coming out of her eyes when she had it, cherry eye usually causes the eye to be dry instead, and we used over the counter Refresh eye drops in her eyes until she had her surgery. Without a picture, its hard to say exactly what is going on in his eyes. Goopy eyes can be caused by allergies or an eye infection, such as Pink eye. I am thinking it's probably an eye infection of some kind, because you mention that the eye goop is smelly, that usually indicates an infection. What colour is the goop?, and is the eye red? A vet visit would be a good idea, to see if it is an infection or not, as he would need antibiotic eye drops to clear it up if it is an infection. If the goop is just happening in the morning, you could try over the counter Polysporin antibiotic eye drops from the drugstore, and see if it clears up, but if it doesn't, then it could be pink eye and he may need something prescribed from the vet. The sores on his face may be from him scratching and rubbing his eyes, and now it's irritated, you can try Polysporin ointment, but again it sounds like he should see a vet, to rule out other causes. It could be a hot spot, or bacterial infection, that would need treatment. I hope he feels better soon, and it clears up.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
image.jpg

Thanks for the quick response! I think you might be right about an infection. Everything you said makes sense & I feel kind of silly that it didn't occur to me! :blush2: I have a call into my vet's office & am going to make an appointment for this week. His eyes are definitely far from dry. They are super moist all of the time. The goop is a greenish color. It's mostly in his right eye, but I think his left is mildly irritated, too. You can see the inner lid of his eye in this picture & it's definitely red.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're welcome, it does seem like he has an infection in his eye, could be pink eye, or a bacterial infection, or just conjunctivitis, all of which only a vet can diagnose, and he needs antibiotic eye drops to clear it up. While you are waiting for a vet appointment, you can keep his eye clean using a saline solution, the kind that you use for contacts from the drug store. It is safe for human eyes, so can be used on dogs as well, also try the Polysporin antibiotic eye drops from the drug store.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=11875]amdeemer[/MENTION] Monica has you covered.... sounds like an infection to me too. Please keep us posted on how he is doing

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yep it certainly looks irritated. I always keep some Bausch and Lomb eye wash and lubricatung eye ointment in my bully kit. This will help until you can see a vet, and is something you can even do once a week to clean out their eyes. You can get them both at Walgreens or any drug store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thought I'd give an update on Archie! He ended up having an infection on his cheek which, more than likely, was caused by the discharge from his eye. He has a minor case of entropian on his bottom right eye lid so he's actually in surgery now to be neutered & to have his eyelid tacked. I know he's 6 months old & should heal relatively quickly, but I still can't help but worry. I will be happy when this is all over!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thought I'd give an update on Archie! He ended up having an infection on his cheek which, more than likely, was caused by the discharge from his eye. He has a minor case of entropian on his bottom right eye lid so he's actually in surgery now to be neutered & to have his eyelid tacked. I know he's 6 months old & should heal relatively quickly, but I still can't help but worry. I will be happy when this is all over!

So glad you found out the issue.... hugs and positive thoughts that all goes well today with the procedures.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sending prayers for the surgery to go well, keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Well, my sweet Archie is home, but he is beyond pitiful. :( They are asking us to leave a collar on him until the weekend, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. He won't lay down with the collar on. He's practically falling over sitting up. He sleeps in bed with us normally so we were thinking about taking the collar off just for sleeping. Not sure if that's a good idea or not. Ugh!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.