Any Ideas?

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
I have finally caught this on video. Holly does this from time to time and it lasted a few mins this time. She breathes in heavily through her nose and seems to be having a hard time in general. After we took this video, we gave her a benadryl, she drank some water and is laying down now.

I've never posted a vid on the web. Hope this works! https://vimeo.com/104946832

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have finally caught this on video. Holly does this from time to time and it lasted a few mins this time. She breathes in heavily through her nose and seems to be having a hard time in general. After we took this video, we gave her a benadryl, she drank some water and is laying down now.

I've never posted a vid on the web. Hope this works! https://vimeo.com/104946832

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job on the video!! It is reverse sneezing and its from allergies. You did the absolute right thing with the Benadryl that and getting her attention on to something else when she starts doing it is best.

OP
HTX Bully

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Thanks for the help [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] [MENTION=12231]Goob14[/MENTION]

Holly has done this for awhile but it's definitely happened with more regularity and severity since we switched her to Natures Logic two months ago...umm...I have no complaints about Natures Logic except she sheds profusely. Her poops and paws are great, her folds are dry as a bone and they have never been that way.

I was was smoking some chicken today with mesquite wood, I wonder if that set her off. :ponder: Anywho thanks again

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kevin and Amy, great job on the video, I don't have any experience with this, but it seems like others with experience have given you great advice and info on reverse sneezing. I've heard of this and it is caused by allergies or infections. Is the food you are feeding Holly, chicken based? Many bullies are allergic to chicken. Benadryl will help with symptoms, until you can find out what is causing her allergy symptoms.

Reverse sneezing (Pharyngeal Gag Reflex) is a sudden, rapid and extreme forcefull inhalation of air through the nose causing the dog to make repeated snorting noises, which may sound like he is choking. It sounds like the dog is trying to inhale a sneeze, and it is therefore known as reverse sneezing.

Reverse sneezing is often caused by irritation of the the palate/laryngeal area. It causes a spasm in the muscles of the pharynx. Reverse sneezing is characterized by honking, hacking or snorting sounds (gasping inwards). It primarily occurs when the dog is excited, but it can also happen after drinking, eating, running, or pulling on the leash.
A typical episode lasts only a few seconds, but some dogs may experience this for a few minutes and usually several times a day. Most of the time you can stop the spasm by gently massaging the throat of your dog, or briefly closing it's nostrils until the dog swallows.

In some cases reverse sneezing is caused by foreign bodies in the nasal passage (grass blades), irritation from allergies or irritants (pollens, smoke, perfumes), or even tooth root infections. In those cases you should always consult a vet. If the dog is having repeated attacks of reverse sneezing, your vet may prescribe antihistamines to see if that helps stop the sneezing. When reverse sneezing occurs right after the nose-inoculation against kennel-cough, it would be advisable to give the dog some antibiotics.
Most dogs that have infrequent episodes of reverse sneezing, can lead a perfectly normal life, cause reverse sneezing is a harmless condition and medical treatment is not necessary. Although it is important not to confuse reverse sneezing with a collapsing trachea or a heart problem. In case of doubt, it is important to have the dog examined by your veterinarian.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the help @dolphin @Goob14

Holly has done this for awhile but it's definitely happened with more regularity and severity since we switched her to Natures Logic two months ago...umm...I have no complaints about Natures Logic except she sheds profusely. Her poops and paws are great, her folds are dry as a bone and they have never been that way.

I was was smoking some chicken today with mesquite wood, I wonder if that set her off. :ponder: Anywho thanks again

Could be she got some smoke in her nose.

OP
HTX Bully

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
She's currently on Natures Logic Rabbit.

Holly didn't do well on Fromms Beef Frittata and Natures Logic Beef so I think beef is an allergy for us. Maybe I'll try another protein with Natures Logic before we switch again.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kevin and Amy. My female Blossom also has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We switched them to Fromm's Beef Fritatta, and they did well for 2 years , then just recently both Blossom and Bulldozer both started showing allergy signs and I switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil about a month ago, and they are doing well on this.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion does this too. My hubby always tells her to "blow out, not in". My vet confirmed it with Vegas and a video I took. Reverse sneezing.

I've never done video of Orion. Hers is much more dramatic when she does it. (go figure!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you can get them to stop by covering her nostrils with two fingers for just a few seconds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.