Thread: Chin breakouts. Tried everything.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Question Chin breakouts. Tried everything.

I've noticed in the past few weeks Kira has been breaking out with little sores on her chin. I've made sure to keep it dry, she eats/drinks out of stainless steel bowls and she eats purina pro plan. Yesterday her and her sister were wrestling and one of them opened up and bled a little. They look so uncomfortable and they're a new development, but I haven't changed anything. Any suggestions?

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chin breakouts. Tried everything.

to EBN!!!

First of all Purina is not a top rated food, so you may want to start there… here is a link to dog foods www.dogfoodadvisor.com
    You can use duoxo pads (I get mine on Amazon) to wipe the chin daily, or a cheaper alternative is to use witch hazel on a cotton pad. That should clean up her chin...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN

Tracey has you covered... Douxo pads or witch hazel on cotton pads to clean the chin . I also suggest looking into a btter food, Purina is not a great food... Lots of fillers and grains.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Constance, Tracey and Christine have already given you great advice. I agree that Purina is not a great food. On the Dog Food Ratings, it is rated as a 1 or a 2 Star food. You want to choose a food that is rated a 4 to 6 Star for quality, nutrition, and ingredients. Examples of these are Wellness, Fromm's, Arcana, Go, Orijen, and Blue Buffalo. Many of the dog food brands have chicken as their protein source, and many bullies are allergic to chicken, as well as grains and other fillers such as corn. Common causes of chin acne in dogs is from contact irritants like bowls, food and water, which cause bacteria, and from food allergies. Using stainless steel bowls instead of plastic is best, because plastic bowls hold bacteria.
    Bowls should also be washed on a daily basis, we put our bowls through the dishwasher every night. It's also important to keep the chin area clean and dry everyday, especially after eating and drinking. You can use a mild shampoo and water on a cloth, or use a mild cleanser like Phisoderm, you can also use apple cider vinegar and warm water to clean the area.
    Dietary changes will also help, a good quality food is first, adding a source of Omega 3 Fatty acids, such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, or cocnut oil will also help skin and coat. It can also help to use filtered water, and to add apple cider vinegar to the drinking water everyday.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great advice above, would love to see pictures of your baby too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like bulldog acne. You have already been given good suggestions. I have used witch hazel and occasionally Stridex medicated pads. Either work, keep the area clean and eventually they will go away but probably will return as well. It seems to be part of the growing process with changes in hormones and such

Remove Ads