Chin breakouts. Tried everything.

Constance

Aug 30, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I've noticed in the past few weeks Kira has been breaking out with little sores on her chin. I've made sure to keep it dry, she eats/drinks out of stainless steel bowls and she eats purina pro plan. Yesterday her and her sister were wrestling and one of them opened up and bled a little. They look so uncomfortable and they're a new development, but I haven't changed anything. Any suggestions?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

First of all Purina is not a top rated food, so you may want to start there… here is a link to dog foods www.dogfoodadvisor.com
You can use duoxo pads (I get mine on Amazon) to wipe the chin daily, or a cheaper alternative is to use witch hazel on a cotton pad. That should clean up her chin...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

Tracey has you covered... Douxo pads or witch hazel on cotton pads to clean the chin . I also suggest looking into a btter food, Purina is not a great food... Lots of fillers and grains.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Constance, Tracey and Christine have already given you great advice. I agree that Purina is not a great food. On the Dog Food Ratings, it is rated as a 1 or a 2 Star food. You want to choose a food that is rated a 4 to 6 Star for quality, nutrition, and ingredients. Examples of these are Wellness, Fromm's, Arcana, Go, Orijen, and Blue Buffalo. Many of the dog food brands have chicken as their protein source, and many bullies are allergic to chicken, as well as grains and other fillers such as corn. Common causes of chin acne in dogs is from contact irritants like bowls, food and water, which cause bacteria, and from food allergies. Using stainless steel bowls instead of plastic is best, because plastic bowls hold bacteria.
Bowls should also be washed on a daily basis, we put our bowls through the dishwasher every night. It's also important to keep the chin area clean and dry everyday, especially after eating and drinking. You can use a mild shampoo and water on a cloth, or use a mild cleanser like Phisoderm, you can also use apple cider vinegar and warm water to clean the area.
Dietary changes will also help, a good quality food is first, adding a source of Omega 3 Fatty acids, such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, or cocnut oil will also help skin and coat. It can also help to use filtered water, and to add apple cider vinegar to the drinking water everyday.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, would love to see pictures of your baby too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Sounds like bulldog acne. You have already been given good suggestions. I have used witch hazel and occasionally Stridex medicated pads. Either work, keep the area clean and eventually they will go away but probably will return as well. It seems to be part of the growing process with changes in hormones and such

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online