Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=1]FDA Issues Warning Letters for Unapproved Tear Stain Removers Used in Dogs and Cats[/h] August 29, 2014
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is issuing warning letters today to companies manufacturing unapproved animal drugs to remove tear stains in dogs and cats. These products, including Angels’ Eyes, Angels’ Glow, Pets’ Spark, and exported products Glow Groom and Health Glow, have not been reviewed by FDA for safety and effectiveness. These tear stain removers also contain the medically important antibiotic tylosin tartrate, which is not approved for use in dogs or cats, nor for the treatment of conditions associated with tear stains. Tear stain remover products are used to treat tear staining conditions around the eyes of animals, which, in particular, is associated with a condition called epiphora, mostly in cats and dogs.
FDA has serious concerns about unapproved animal drugs. Unapproved animal drugs are not reviewed by FDA and may not meet FDA’s strict standards for safety and effectiveness.
These tear stain drug products may be subject to additional enforcement action should the products continue to be marketed, such as seizure of violative products and/or injunction against the manufacturers and distributors of the violative products.

[h=3]Additional Information[/h]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Lynn. This is excellent information. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This is the reason I don't give our guys any treats that are store bought except for the Fruitables, they only get homemade with all natural ingredients, fresh fruits, veggies, eggs, peanut butter and yogurt. There have been too many recalls and deaths that have been linked to various treats, especially the ones made in China. I also try to use natural products and supplements as much as possible, like ACV, and Epsom salts for foot soaks, white vinegar for rinsing after a bath, Polysporin for cuts or sores, and I also make my own ear cleaner using ACV and Hydrogen Peroxide. I think that the more natural the products we use the better since they are so sensitive. I also believe that when we use natural supplements like yogurt, ACV, kelp, and coconut oil, we can be proactive and maybe prevent some problems and diseases, thereby saving on future vet bills by keeping them healthy. You can naturally prevent or reduce tear stains from the inside, by adding ACV to the drinking water, and using filtered water. Tear stains are mostly caused by allergies, inflammation, yeast and bacteria, and infections.
By feeding natural foods and treats, you can avoid or reduce allergic reactions to additives, preservatives, and chemicals. Tear stains are like a runny nose, it's an immune response of the body, to get rid of toxins. By adding ACV to the water, it changes the Ph levels of the tears, which helps fight yeast and bacteria, and inhibits the growth of yeast, also adding an Omega Fatty Acid supplement with help fight allergies as well. Some natural cleaners that you can use to remove tear stains are to make a weak saline solution or use lemon juice to clean them, be careful not to get the lemon juice in the eye itself. I also read that you can use store bought contact lens solution from the drugstore to clean tear stains. It is safe to use on dogs eyes, because it's approved and safe for peoples eyes. Contact solution is made of saline so will not hurt your dogs eyes.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW!! I'm shocked that 25 years after some of these products hit the market that the FDA is finally doing something about it!!!!! Shocking!

Angel eyes is FRAUD that has made millions on America! They should be shut down.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great info.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts