General Question Brutus Paw Licking

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I tried to do a search, but couldn't find what i was looking for. Brutus has been licking his paws constantly, they are all red and he just won't stop. I'm not sure what to do. I think since it's been so hot and humid here and the mold count is so high, it's affecting him(my personal theory). He gets a benedryl at lunch time and i'm thinking of giving him one in the mornings too, but I don't want to overdo it with him. Could i soak his paws in something to help? I feel so bad for him. He just won't stop. It could be the grass too...I'm just not sure.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I certainly think soaking would help. You could soak in beta dyne mixed with water, it has anti fungal and anti bacterial in it. Or rarett posted the "pickled paws", I think it is a sticky in the grooming section or health section.

Hope Brutus is okay, and it's just the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I certainly think soaking would help. You could soak in beta dyne mixed with water, it has anti fungal and anti bacterial in it. Or rarett posted the "pickled paws", I think it is a sticky in the grooming section or health section.

Hope Brutus is okay, and it's just the weather.

I just went to check on him and he's STILL licking them. I am going to go do the pickled paws solution on him right now :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jennie, I'm sorry Brutus is going through this, it sucks when our babies aren't feeling well. Excessive paw licking is definitely a sign of allergies, which are usually food related or can be environmental as well. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and Dozer has recently started licking his paws, and he was shedding like crazy. I had to switch foods 4 times before I found one that they both tolerated. We were feeding them Fromm's Beef Frittata for the past 2 years, but then Dozer also started showing allergy symptoms, I switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, and they've been on this for about a month. Dozer stopped shedding, they are both still licking a little, but not nearly as much as before, and no other symptoms. Which brand of food are you currently feeding Brutus? Many bullies are allergic to chicken and don't tolerate grains. It teally is trial and error to find a food that is both a good quality and they tolerate. It could also be caused by environmental factors such as grass and pollen, fortunately the summer is coming to an end, and these things won't be a factor, but things you can do are wipe his feet after being outside, give him Benadryl for the symptoms. Other things that can cause allergies are our inside environment, has anything changed in your home, such as new cleaning supplies, new laundry soap, new floor cleaners etc? These things can cause allergies in our bullies as well.

When you have a bully with allergies there are some natural supplements you can give them to help with symptoms.

These are some of the things I do:

I add 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt to their morning kibble everyday for the Probiotics, this is good for digestion, but also boosts the immune system, which helps to fight both infections and allergy symptoms. Allergies are caused by a abnormal immune response. I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory (99% of all diseases including arthritis is caused by inflammation in the body), it kills bad bacteria in the body which boosts the immune system as well, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. If you go to the Home Page, there is a great article on The Benefits of ACV. It will give you a list of all the many benefits of ACV. I also add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil to the evening kibble, it is a great source of Omega Oils, which is great for skin, coat, and brain. All of these things are natural, and inexpensive, and can help with symptoms by boosting the immune system. You can also improve his skin and skin symptoms by using equal parts of warm water and plain white vinegar to rinse him with after shampooing. This is very good for the skin and coat, it helps to keep him smelling nicer in between baths, it conditions the skin, it helps with hot spots, mange, yeast, and also helps kill fleas, ticks and other parasites.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just put this together but I used arm and hammer carpet fresh yesterday and last week. he has been licking his paws so much since i used it.....i'm throwing that away and not using it to see if that is the issue.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Jennie, I'm sorry Brutus is going through this, it sucks when our babies aren't feeling well. Excessive paw licking is definitely a sign of allergies, which are usually food related or can be environmental as well. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and Dozer has recently started licking his paws, and he was shedding like crazy. I had to switch foods 4 times before I found one that they both tolerated. We were feeding them Fromm's Beef Frittata for the past 2 years, but then Dozer also started showing allergy symptoms, I switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, and they've been on this for about a month. Dozer stopped shedding, they are both still licking a little, but not nearly as much as before, and no other symptoms. Which brand of food are you currently feeding Brutus? Many bullies are allergic to chicken and don't tolerate grains. It teally is trial and error to find a food that is both a good quality and they tolerate. It could also be caused by environmental factors such as grass and pollen, fortunately the summer is coming to an end, and these things won't be a factor, but things you can do are wipe his feet after being outside, give him Benadryl for the symptoms. Other things that can cause allergies are our inside environment, has anything changed in your home, such as new cleaning supplies, new laundry soap, new floor cleaners etc? These things can cause allergies in our bullies as well.

When you have a bully with allergies there are some natural supplements you can give them to help with symptoms.

These are some of the things I do:

I add 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt to their morning kibble everyday for the Probiotics, this is good for digestion, but also boosts the immune system, which helps to fight both infections and allergy symptoms. Allergies are caused by a abnormal immune response. I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory (99% of all diseases including arthritis is caused by inflammation in the body), it kills bad bacteria in the body which boosts the immune system as well, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. If you go to the Home Page, there is a great article on The Benefits of ACV. It will give you a list of all the many benefits of ACV. I also add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil to the evening kibble, it is a great source of Omega Oils, which is great for skin, coat, and brain. All of these things are natural, and inexpensive, and can help with symptoms by boosting the immune system. You can also improve his skin and skin symptoms by using equal parts of warm water and plain white vinegar to rinse him with after shampooing. This is very good for the skin and coat, it helps to keep him smelling nicer in between baths, it conditions the skin, it helps with hot spots, mange, yeast, and also helps kill fleas, ticks and other parasites.
Thank you for this! We have not had any issues with him since we got him. I have him and Ruthie on Fromm Pork and Peas. I have been using arm and hammer carpet fresh for about a week now and I think that might be it. It's only his paws and this just started about the same time i've used the carpet fresh. They also get yogurt and a little bit of coconut oil for a treat. I'm going to put some ACV in their water to see if that helps too. I just soaked his paws in some and gave him a benedryl...he seems to be resting now. THANK YOU!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you hit the nail on the head with the carpet stuff. I hope he stops.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Jennie, I agree that it's probably the Carpet Fresh, especially since its the only thing that has changed in your environment. It can be from the perfume in the product, or some other ingredient. Some bullies are very sensitive to these things and scents. Stop using it, and see if he improves. I'm glad he seems better, and I hope he feels better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for this! We have not had any issues with him since we got him. I have him and Ruthie on Fromm Pork and Peas. I have been using arm and hammer carpet fresh for about a week now and I think that might be it. It's only his paws and this just started about the same time i've used the carpet fresh. They also get yogurt and a little bit of coconut oil for a treat. I'm going to put some ACV in their water to see if that helps too. I just soaked his paws in some and gave him a benedryl...he seems to be resting now. THANK YOU!

I bet you are right!!! Vacuum the heck outta that rug- and if you have a shampooer you may want to run it on your rugs too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just put this together but I used arm and hammer carpet fresh yesterday and last week. he has been licking his paws so much since i used it.....i'm throwing that away and not using it to see if that is the issue.

Could totally do it

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My bully Bella broke out onetime when I used Febreeze on the couch & she jumped on it. Took awhile before we figured it out, but as soon as I stopped using it she was fine!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
After I soaked his paws yesterday and gave him a benedryl, he calmed right down and really didn't lick the rest of the day. This morning, i let him out and he came back in and laid down, he started licking but NOTHING like yesterday, I told him to stop and he did. He's snoring very loudly on the couch right now. must be the carpet fresh. Thank you everyone!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
After I soaked his paws yesterday and gave him a benedryl, he calmed right down and really didn't lick the rest of the day. This morning, i let him out and he came back in and laid down, he started licking but NOTHING like yesterday, I told him to stop and he did. He's snoring very loudly on the couch right now. must be the carpet fresh. Thank you everyone!

Good news!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I had to take brutus to the vet today, he got a lot worse than just paw licking. He broke out everywhere with little bumps and rashes. We were on vacation so could t take him until today. It's seasonal allergies. Vet gave him 2 Shots and some pills. He is doing better already. This is the first fall season we have had with him so I think we know what to expect now.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I had to take brutus to the vet today, he got a lot worse than just paw licking. He broke out everywhere with little bumps and rashes. We were on vacation so could t take him until today. It's seasonal allergies. Vet gave him 2 Shots and some pills. He is doing better already. This is the first fall season we have had with him so I think we know what to expect now.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Allergies are so tough to control.

My "newest" routine these last few months has mostly worked. But Blue's also on an Rx food and getting allergy "shots" daily (oral version).

Keep clean, make sure there's no yeast, I keep Claritin 10mg redi-tabs on hand (the non-flavored ones) when he gets hives, and I use a topical spray called Betagen. It requires an Rx but works wonders for rashes, cuts and itching for allergies. Just can't use on yeast.

Sure beats getting shots or pills.

Most Reactions