New baby from local shelter

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
We brought home a 6 year old EB today that was an owner surrender at the local shelter. He a in horrible shape !!!! We took him straight to the vet. He has dry eye, yeast in his nose rope and feet, and his ears are so infected they are swollen shut. We have meds for all that. My main concern: He walks 10 feet and gets extremely winded I mean winded to the point his tongue and gums begin to change colors. The vet is knowledgeable at EBs an said his heart and lungs sounded good ect... That he needed to loose a little weight but not much any ideas?????
e32b6d02a515d637e5c375a575bb2557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Congratulations on your new bully, [MENTION=11366]Brandie37[/MENTION]! And bless you for rescuing him from the shelter. He's such a handsome young man! Many factors can be contributing to him being "winded"--the temperature...was it hot? his weight, so losing some will help. Stress and excitement can also be causing him to perhaps be over-excited. The fact that the vet said his heart and lungs were in good shape is a great thing. Just continue to monitor him these next couple days and hopefully he just needs to feel more relaxed and he won't get as winded so quickly. Wishing you guys so much happiness and love with this little fellow!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby, I'm so glad you guys found him. There could be many reasons that he tires easily. Maybe it's because he's older, at 6 years old, or maybe because he's been neglected, he may not have had a lot of walks or exercise, so may not have the stamina. It may be that he's not in the best of health with his infections, so may not be felling well. A bully has a high pain threshold, and if he's not feeling very well, he may not show it, but still be lethargic and quiet. Do you know his health background? Was he up to date on all his vaccinations? Has he been tested for Heartworm? If he has Heartworm, it could affect his breathing as well. I hope it's nothing serious, and he improves with vet care, medication, and love and care from you. I hope he feels better soon. Please keep us posted and up to date on how he's doing.

OP
Brandie37

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Was able to get more background on him from one of the previous owners ( not the one who surrendered him) it was recommended to them a year ago he have the surgery to open up his airway. I'm a little frustrated only because the ex partner of this Pearson that surrendered him put on the paperwork he had no medical conditions or issues. I know EB are expensive and I don't care to do what ever needs to be done and none of his current issues scare me except the breathing and the procedure only because he clearly needs it and I don't have 3-4 thousand to do that. So I'm calling the vet that he used to see now that I know who it is and I'm going to see if I can get something worked out to get it done

OP
Brandie37

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
da462507beda1855a3e817c824c12c7a.jpg

He is so sweet especially given everything he's been through and the fact that he's an intact male ( which as soon as he's healthy enough that's changing:)

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We brought home a 6 year old EB today that was an owner surrender at the local shelter. He a in horrible shape !!!! We took him straight to the vet. He has dry eye, yeast in his nose rope and feet, and his ears are so infected they are swollen shut. We have meds for all that. My main concern: He walks 10 feet and gets extremely winded I mean winded to the point his tongue and gums begin to change colors. The vet is knowledgeable at EBs an said his heart and lungs sounded good ect... That he needed to loose a little weight but not much any ideas?????

weirdly enough, I just heard someone talking about this with their dog. She couldn't walk too far without becoming out of breath. The vets diagnosis was tracheal hypoplasia (short / narrow trachea). You should have the vet cheek for it. It is diagnosed with an X-ray. Unfortunately, from what I understand, it is a genetic defect and is not easily correctable.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Was able to get more background on him from one of the previous owners ( not the one who surrendered him) it was recommended to them a year ago he have the surgery to open up his airway. I'm a little frustrated only because the ex partner of this Pearson that surrendered him put on the paperwork he had no medical conditions or issues. I know EB are expensive and I don't care to do what ever needs to be done and none of his current issues scare me except the breathing and the procedure only because he clearly needs it and I don't have 3-4 thousand to do that. So I'm calling the vet that he used to see now that I know who it is and I'm going to see if I can get something worked out to get it done

Where do you live? Is there a veterinary college nearby? They may do the surgery for less. Another thing to consider is to just put him on a diet to see if it helps. Most breathing issues with brachycephalic breeds get better if the extra pounds come off. Good luck, he sure is cute! A shelter let him go home without neutering him? Thats a first.

OP
Brandie37

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Yeah they let him go because they felt so bad for him and knew he needed attention ASAP. They are giving me a voucher for the neuter

OP
Brandie37

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Thank you guys, please say a little prayer, it is trachea hypoplasia and severe.Hes not a good surgical candidate .......

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for saving this sweet boy and giving him a chance at a great new life!!

OP
Brandie37

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Unfortunately guys with it is with great sadness that i tell you guys Duncan crossed over today

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.