Phlegm?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Hi bully community! Our little guy...well, not so little anymore....has been waking up at night sounding phlegm-y and coughing a bit. It seems to happen a couple times a week and only a few times during the night, so we aren't horribly concerned. However, I wanted to see if anyone else's bully has phlegm problems and if there are any things we can do to help Frank when he is like this. Thanks!

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Bruno used to do something like this...he used to sound phlegmy and throw up quite a bit. We actually had a time when he would wake up in the middle of the night and throw up. We discovered that it was the food we were feeding him. It took us almost a year to figure out what food he could eat. It wasn't until I found this forum that we found out that a lot of the different foods we were trying weren't that great, especially for bullies. So, we put him on Fromm's Salmon a la Veg and haven't had many issues with phlegm or vomiting...unless he is super excited and panting for a long length of time...then we get the nice frothy foamy vomit :). The only other thing I can think of is it could be allergies to something??? Bullies are sometimes hard to figure out...and they definately have more quirks than the average dog!

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
We haven't had this problem yet. But I have read that a
little squirt of lemon juice will help break it up too. Hope
this helps.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Sorry, I haven't had to deal with this so I'm of no help. But I'm sure there are other members who will give you some great advise!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas does not really have a phlegm problem but he does clear his throat several times a day and he is on an very good food, I just figured it was just part of their nature being short nosed and all???

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thanks for the suggestions! Right now Frank is on the bland diet because we have had so much trouble with finding a good food for him. He was originally on Eukanuba, then we switched to Blue Buffalo (thinking that it was a good food), then most recently he was on California Natural. For all he has always had runny poo so we are hoping to find that magic food that works. He definitely does have slight allergies that have gotten better but still not away entirely. I am hoping to switch him to Fromm....just waiting for my food to arrive. I will definitely try some lemon juice and see if that helps him at all.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i agree with the food suggestion. butler had the same issues on natural balance, i switched to fromm and he hasn't had an episode yet! i keep a bottle of lime juice in the fridge, because i like it in my bacardi and diet, but also because it has no chemicals like the bottled lemon juice does, and i used to squirt butler with that when he was phlegmy.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We used lemon juice on Bentley when he was phlegmy - lime juice would work as well, anything with acid.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have this problem, not with my Bulldog, but with my PUG. I just took her to the VET because the problem has been so horrible, and listening to her "gurgle" is frightening. I thought she was going to asphixsiate. The VET reported that the "Lemon Juice" remedy is not effective at all. He indicated there are two issues with my PUG - one is she is OVERWEIGHT, and two, she may have bronchitis. So, he
put her on a Bronchodilator (AMINOPHYLLINE) and in 2-days she sounds so much better, and I don't hear the Phlegm and the gurgling in her throat. She would bring up these huge wads of Phlegm that were scary to look at. The VET reported this is a problem with many Brachycephalic dogs. When a dog is overweight, the weight around their neck/thorax/larynx/throat is also affected......and like Bulldogs, their nares are narrow and small.

tinaXcole

Jan 12, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Columbus
i agree with the food suggestion. butler had the same issues on natural balance, i switched to fromm and he hasn't had an episode yet! i keep a bottle of lime juice in the fridge, because i like it in my bacardi and diet, but also because it has no chemicals like the bottled lemon juice does, and i used to squirt butler with that when he was phlegmy.

Hi! Did you literally squirt the juice down your pup's throat? My puppy Cole is 3.5 months old and has developed a bit of a cough in the last week or so, he hacked up a little bit of clear phlegm twice yesterday. I figured out one of his chewies had been causing him some problems and it's been better since I took it away from him, but I'm curious about how this lemon/lime trick works?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes,just squirt some down his throat. No rawhide chewies at all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! Did you literally squirt the juice down your pup's throat? My puppy Cole is 3.5 months old and has developed a bit of a cough in the last week or so, he hacked up a little bit of clear phlegm twice yesterday. I figured out one of his chewies had been causing him some problems and it's been better since I took it away from him, but I'm curious about how this lemon/lime trick works?

Yes, as Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] stated, right in the throat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online