Nose fell off

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Sorta of... 9 yr old female who has had ongoing "dry" nose issues.. Have been using Snout Soother as needed, but probably not enough.. while wiping her rope, fold above the nose, a little piece of her nose came off.. She's not bothered by it, but we sure as heck are... Any experience or hearing of this?!?!?!?!?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with this, but I have heard of it. It's not actually the nose falling off, it's the layer of dry skin that sloughs or peels off. Don't worry, new skin will grow back. Have you tried any other product on her nose, like Vaseline or coconut oil?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I am actually dealing w/this… my 9 year old boxer Roxie is having issues w/the same thing. My vet told me to get a soft cloth and put warm water on it… I gently massage her nose to get the overgrowth off (looks like pieces of her nose is falling off… Lol) and then I pat it dry and put aquaphor on it. I've been doing this about once a week, and her nose looks much better. Apparently this is pretty common w/older dogs…

mo77511

Jan 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sukie and Tucker
my boy nose is awful. His nose is always "falling off" and be has knocked it off a time or 2 when running into things because he has no brakes. and is a klutz. I have tried everything under the sun and the only thing that has helped is coconut oil.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My boy Fatso is 5 and has always had a dry nose..it looked like something was growing on it..I called it barnacles but in June someone on here posted that they were using coconut oil and it worked great so I started using it on his nose because I was already putting it in his food..within 3 days his nose was so moist and shiny he looked like a puppy but when I was rubbing it on his nose pieces of the barnacles would come off in my hand and I would rub it with a wet cloth And they would all come off..his nose looks great now and I only put it on one every couple of weeks now

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My boy Fatso is 5 and has always had a dry nose..it looked like something was growing on it..I called it barnacles but in June someone on here posted that they were using coconut oil and it worked great so I started using it on his nose because I was already putting it in his food..within 3 days his nose was so moist and shiny he looked like a puppy but when I was rubbing it on his nose pieces of the barnacles would come off in my hand and I would rub it with a wet cloth And they would all come off..his nose looks great now and I only put it on one every couple of weeks now

Yep this works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
It really does!! I was so happy that something I dealt with for years was gone in 3 days..I had previously tried Vaseline, and aquafor and just rubbing it with a cloth but the coconut oil is def the thing to use plus they love the taste so they will let you put it on them..I am also using it on their paw pads too

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aquaphor is the cure all like [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am actually dealing w/this… my 9 year old boxer Roxie is having issues w/the same thing. My vet told me to get a soft cloth and put warm water on it… I gently massage her nose to get the overgrowth off (looks like pieces of her nose is falling off… Lol) and then I pat it dry and put aquaphor on it. I've been doing this about once a week, and her nose looks much better. Apparently this is pretty common w/older dogs…

^^^^ exactly --- Aquaphor will totally help and it is very common. [MENTION=8541]Daphnee[/MENTION]

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I had the same fright when we got Joey, her nose was very dry... it looked like "The Thing" from the "Fantastic four", lol. Before I knew about coconut oil I just used a damp cloth to try to clean it off:ashamed:, her nose is still dry but it's much better now:) I put some coconut oil on when I feed her cos she also gets some on her food.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The only problem I would have w/the coconut oil is that Walter would try to lick it off, or Roxie would try too as well… Lol :p

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only problem I would have w/the coconut oil is that Walter would try to lick it off, or Roxie would try too as well… Lol :p

That's what happened to mine too, but once I started applying a liberal amount (ALOT) I was able to really rub it in and the stuff literally just fell off on my fingertips while I rubbed it in. The rest I let them lick and snack on :biglaugh: I feel better about them licking that off than other products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I feel like anything you put on their noses they will lick off..at least the coconut oil is okay for them to ingest..I use aquafor on myself and it works great but I don't want them eating it..same with Vaseline

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online