Allergic reaction

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We took Belly in for her second round of puppy shots last night. We decided not to get the one with the Lepro (or whatever that one is called) since she could have an allergic reaction to it. Thought we were safe with the one we got, but about an hour after we came home from the vet I noticed her face looking puffy...then around her eye on the white side of her head got really bright pink and puffy. By then it was too late and the vet had closed.. off to the emergency vet we went. They said it was really important to take her in since she was a bully. After getting benadryl and a steroid shot we were on our way back home. Now I'm petrified to have her get any more shots! Is this normal with bully babies? Will she grow out of it or have bad reactions to shots any time we take her? I'll be a nut case when we finally have her spayed! :*(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have heard of this happening with any breed, but I can imagine how freaked out you were!! I would have a follow up with your vet and come up with a gameplan for if it happens next time. Hopefully this can be done over the phone so they won't charge you for an office visit. How old is she, and was this her first shots?

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Oh you must have been so scared...I know I would have freaked! When we brought our new bully to the vet the first time, she told us to try to schedule his vaccine shots at a time when they would be open for at least 3 hours after he got his shots. That way, if he did have an allergic reaction of some sort, we could come back to them rather than take him to animal emergency (a much heftier bill!). And just like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said, you should be able to come up with a plan with your vet....maybe they will just give you some benedryl to keep on hand at home in case it happens again? Anyhow, I think it best to talk to the vet before the next time! I am glad Belly is okay!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I've never experienced this, but my daughter has a little dog, (Maltese/poodle or something like that). She had a couple of shots, no problem. Then she had a shot and had a reaction. But since then, nothing. So I wonder if it could have been the particular shot? Glad Belly got over this and now you know what to watch for.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it's really common - scary, but common. Our vet really encouraged us to get a Benadryl shot for Truman before all of his shots because he is a bully and he'd seen more allergic reactions in them. Since it's only about $10, I faulted on the side of caution so it might be a good idea for you as well.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! Belly is going to be 10 weeks old on saturday [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] . This was her second round of puppy shots. No issues with the first that the breeder told me about. She better today, her face is still pink. I was a nut case last night..hubs kept telling me I was overreacting and looking for things that weren't there..until her got a gander at her face himself *pfft* men... no wonder they don't have babies...

She goes in again on Feb 2nd. They are going to give her a shot of benadryl and maybe steroid before her shot this time. I'm glad to hear she isn't a freak of nature and this does happen to other dogs. Thanks everyone!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just saw a post on facebook about a bully named Sophie who died from an allergic reaction!!! I freaked and came here to check on Belly!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
AWWW no :( That's so sad! Do you know if it was from a shot [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ? Belly is still doing well..just some pink which is pretty normal for running around like a nut all day >.<

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes it was from getting her shots!!! Poor sweet bully angel.... I cannot imagine going in to do something that is supposed to be good for my dog and then them dying from it. How awful!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
That's just terrible! My husband is protesting taking her back in 3 weeks. I just don't know what to do...she has to have her shots, but I couldn't take losing another bully.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes I agree, the best thing to do is talk it over with your vet. You both must be able to calm your fears.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online