Possible Allergy? Constant Scratching

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco has been scratching at his face and nose rope as of late. So bad that he bleeds on top of the nose rope by his nose and scratches the scab open so often it doesn't have time to heal. I also noticed that some blood is going into his folds and drying up and even though I clean it out every day/ every other day, he still gets it. He went to the vet yesterday (Had his annual checkup anyway) and we were told it is a possible seasonal allergy. We were given a cream to assist with healing and the Dr said to put the cone on his head if he keeps scratching. I was at work and my fiance is the one who took him so I couldn't even ask the questions I would have asked. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? What kind of allergy could it be? I have given him benadryl when he was licking his paws constantly but that has since stopped but should I be giving it to him again? I'm just at a loss as to what can be causing him to violently scratch his face every day. Thanks in advance! (sorry if this whole shpeal doesn't flow properly I'm at work and getting torn in different directions lol)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Benedryl wouldn't hurt, for a day or two to see if that helps. What food do you have him on. You might want to try a different protein source to see if that helps.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww Matt, sorry to hear about Rocco!!! I would continue w/the benadryl… it could very well be seasonal allergies. I know that mine have started up again unfortunately… Have you changed his food recently, new treats or anything new that he would be exposed to?!! Floor cleaner, detergent, bedding?!! I would keep that nose fold as clean as possible, and GOD knows they hate the CONE of shame!!! Poor baby...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sorry to hear about Rocco's discomfort.

Does Rocco's nose rope look inflamed? Brownish in color within the fold? Smell like corn chips? I am leading towards possible yeast problems just to throw this out there for discussion.

Jewel has similar pawing at ther jowls at times despite the daily maintenance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Give the Benedryl... it will help with the itching. also, as Tracey stated --- any other changes?

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake's been itchy as well but instead of giving him Benadryl, I spray him with this Hot Spot Spray. It is like turning off the itch switch. It's instant. Love this product. Won't go anywhere without it.
628f053f308dcf29ee2cda0ddf70122f.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.