xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Alight so I am back with a concerning question, Jovi has been itching like crazy (and does not have fleas) But I have notced on her chin, lip and neck she is getting ed spots where she has been itching. Also on her paws that she has been basically chewing every night its starting to lose hair. I suspect seasonal allergies as nothing has changed but the weather, which has been very rainy and muggy and it's gotten worse. Should I give her a bath and some benedryl? If so how much?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi April, it could be seasonal allergies, or it could be food allergies. Even if he's been on the same food for a while, they can develop allergies. I have been feeding my two guys Fromm's Beef Frittata for the past 2 years and 3 months, due to my female Blossoms allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. My male never showed any allergies until now. He started shedding like crazy, more than normal, he was licking his paws, and he started smelling yeasty, from his ears. I suspected allergies, and switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil about a month ago, both of them seem to be tolerating this food okay, and poops are good. I give my guys 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt on their morning kibble for the probiotics, this is great for digestion and it boosts the immune system which fights both infections and allergy symptoms. I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. I also add coconut oil to the evening kibble, for the Omega Fatty oils, which are beneficial to the skin, coat, and brain.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you suspect environmental allergies.... Wipe her with a cool wash cloth after each out side visit and dry her off. Benedryl 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Paw chewing usually means food allergies according to my dog's dermatologist. It is also possible that she has a yeast infection on her paws, ears or skin. Sometimes, dogs become allergic to the protein they have been eating for a long time. Try changing to duck protein.
If you really think it is seasonal try giving her a human Zyrtec everyday. Its safe for dogs as is Claritin. I give Lola Zyrtec (generic Kirkland brand) every day. Benadryl will help but it will make her drowsy. I only give Lola, who is 35 lbs, 2 benadryl tabs (50mg) to prevent her from having a reaction to her weekly allergy vaccines. The dermatologist told me that you have to give any allergy medicine regularly and not only after an allergic reaction to be effective as it needs to build up in the blood stream. Hope that helps.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Just to add ,check tail pocket,itching and chewing can be from a mucky / infected tail pocket,also google leaky gut syndrome as it has the same symptoms as allergies,if yeast is the problem them carbs and dairy will just grow more yeast,yeast loves sugar/ carbs

Most Reactions