Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

  1. #1
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3873

    Default We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Jewel (1 day shy of 2weeks post TPLO surgery on her R-hind quarter) had her stitches removed and Dr. P stating she is right on course. Everything looks good; the suture sites healed properly and her R-knee is very stable. He said we have been doing pretty good limiting her activity as everything is still intact. She has been on an antibiotic and pain meds. She is eating well and of course has ice cream every evening (2tbs non-fat Greek Yogurt).

    Now we must do PT (i.e. medical term for pain and torture or physical terrorism or just plain physical therapy). We need to do 10 repetitions of flexion, abduction, and adduction holding for 5-7 seconds each repetition 3 times a day. Jewel is still limited in her activity (i.e. walked on a leash, no jumping, no rough housing with her brother). We have a follow-up appointment in 4 weeks for x-rays and a reevaluation. At that time, we will be told if we can increase her walking activity.

    As I mentioned in another post, this process has been tense to see our little girl wobble and hobble. We made a litter out of a blanket for the first 96 hours to carry her to her potty area, help her up, and and assist her to let her do her business. She is in her crate while we are at work and asleep (she normally sleeps with us). We have had a couple of scares with Jewel trying to have her way to jump up on the couch and crawl up the stairs due to lack of communication. This is a no-no...no jumping and no stairs. We have a play pen for her which is much more roomier than her crate to keep her immobile.

    We would like to thank the EBN nation for all the sincere thoughts, well-wishes for a speedy recovery, and all the prayers too. I would like to especially thank @Izzy's Mom for her keenful insight. I now know what she has been/going through.

    I am writing this hopefully to keep our bullies safe and no one else has to go through this type of escapade.

    We will keep you updated on Jewel's progress.

  2. #2
    The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    schimpfy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver British Columbia
    Posts
    1,070
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)
    261

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Nice to hear everything is going as planned fingers and paws crossed that the next visit brings her more freedom and less stress for the Humans

  3. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3873

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Quote Originally Posted by schimpfy View Post
    Nice to hear everything is going as planned fingers and paws crossed that the next visit brings her more freedom and less stress for the Humans
    Thank you.

  4. #4
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11516

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    So good to see she is doing well.... very stressful time, I know - went through it twice and it was brutal. Continued prayers for all of you
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  5. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3873

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    So good to see she is doing well.... very stressful time, I know - went through it twice and it was brutal. Continued prayers for all of you
    Thank you.

  6. #6
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Thank you for the kind words!!! Hope Jewel has a speedy recovery very soon your baby will be able to run free again! PT is exactly how you described "Physical terrorism" lol... Izzy hated it! I had to start waking up at 5am to easy Izzy into her therapy... but soon this time will pass and Jewel will be 100% just like my baby!

    Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Jewel (1 day shy of 2weeks post TPLO surgery on her R-hind quarter) had her stitches removed and Dr. P stating she is right on course. Everything looks good; the suture sites healed properly and her R-knee is very stable. He said we have been doing pretty good limiting her activity as everything is still intact. She has been on an antibiotic and pain meds. She is eating well and of course has ice cream every evening (2tbs non-fat Greek Yogurt).

    Now we must do PT (i.e. medical term for pain and torture or physical terrorism or just plain physical therapy). We need to do 10 repetitions of flexion, abduction, and adduction holding for 5-7 seconds each repetition 3 times a day. Jewel is still limited in her activity (i.e. walked on a leash, no jumping, no rough housing with her brother). We have a follow-up appointment in 4 weeks for x-rays and a reevaluation. At that time, we will be told if we can increase her walking activity.

    As I mentioned in another post, this process has been tense to see our little girl wobble and hobble. We made a litter out of a blanket for the first 96 hours to carry her to her potty area, help her up, and and assist her to let her do her business. She is in her crate while we are at work and asleep (she normally sleeps with us). We have had a couple of scares with Jewel trying to have her way to jump up on the couch and crawl up the stairs due to lack of communication. This is a no-no...no jumping and no stairs. We have a play pen for her which is much more roomier than her crate to keep her immobile.

    We would like to thank the EBN nation for all the sincere thoughts, well-wishes for a speedy recovery, and all the prayers too. I would like to especially thank @Izzy's Mom for her keenful insight. I now know what she has been/going through.

    I am writing this hopefully to keep our bullies safe and no one else has to go through this type of escapade.

    We will keep you updated on Jewel's progress.

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  7. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Wow thats alot to go though for both of you, sure hope Jewel has a speedy recovery.

  8. #8
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Good to hear she's recovering in schedule. Hang in there!

  9. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3873

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Thank you for the kind words!!! Hope Jewel has a speedy recovery very soon your baby will be able to run free again! PT is exactly how you described "Physical terrorism" lol... Izzy hated it! I had to start waking up at 5am to easy Izzy into her therapy... but soon this time will pass and Jewel will be 100% just like my baby!
    We are up at 0400 hours. We go outside then back in. Rest, eat, then rest then pt. My wife is out the door at 0530 and I am on my way at 0630 after one last outing outside with the kids. My wife gets home early afternoon and has the first shift. I am home around five pm.

    Bentley is miffed why he can't play with his sister. So we spend time playing in the yard (if it is not too hot and humid). Jewel is in her pen or crate and is basically on injured reserve.

    You are most welcome for the kind words and again thanks.

  10. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3873

    Default Re: We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    Wow thats alot to go though for both of you, sure hope Jewel has a speedy recovery.
    Thank you.

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •