We Are on The Mend-2 Weeks Post TPLO

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel (1 day shy of 2weeks post TPLO surgery on her R-hind quarter) had her stitches removed and Dr. P stating she is right on course. Everything looks good; the suture sites healed properly and her R-knee is very stable. He said we have been doing pretty good limiting her activity as everything is still intact. She has been on an antibiotic and pain meds. She is eating well and of course has ice cream every evening (2tbs non-fat Greek Yogurt).

Now we must do PT (i.e. medical term for pain and torture or physical terrorism or just plain physical therapy). We need to do 10 repetitions of flexion, abduction, and adduction holding for 5-7 seconds each repetition 3 times a day. Jewel is still limited in her activity (i.e. walked on a leash, no jumping, no rough housing with her brother). We have a follow-up appointment in 4 weeks for x-rays and a reevaluation. At that time, we will be told if we can increase her walking activity.

As I mentioned in another post, this process has been tense to see our little girl wobble and hobble. We made a litter out of a blanket for the first 96 hours to carry her to her potty area, help her up, and and assist her to let her do her business. She is in her crate while we are at work and asleep (she normally sleeps with us). We have had a couple of scares with Jewel trying to have her way to jump up on the couch and crawl up the stairs due to lack of communication. This is a no-no...no jumping and no stairs. We have a play pen for her which is much more roomier than her crate to keep her immobile.

We would like to thank the EBN nation for all the sincere thoughts, well-wishes for a speedy recovery, and all the prayers too. I would like to especially thank [MENTION=6190]Izzy's Mom[/MENTION] for her keenful insight. I now know what she has been/going through.

I am writing this hopefully to keep our bullies safe and no one else has to go through this type of escapade.

We will keep you updated on Jewel's progress. :whew:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Nice to hear everything is going as planned fingers and paws crossed that the next visit brings her more freedom and less stress for the Humans

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So good to see she is doing well.... very stressful time, I know - went through it twice and it was brutal. Continued prayers for all of you

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank you for the kind words!!! Hope Jewel has a speedy recovery :) very soon your baby will be able to run free again! PT is exactly how you described "Physical terrorism" lol... Izzy hated it! I had to start waking up at 5am to easy Izzy into her therapy... but soon this time will pass and Jewel will be 100% just like my baby!

Jewel (1 day shy of 2weeks post TPLO surgery on her R-hind quarter) had her stitches removed and Dr. P stating she is right on course. Everything looks good; the suture sites healed properly and her R-knee is very stable. He said we have been doing pretty good limiting her activity as everything is still intact. She has been on an antibiotic and pain meds. She is eating well and of course has ice cream every evening (2tbs non-fat Greek Yogurt).

Now we must do PT (i.e. medical term for pain and torture or physical terrorism or just plain physical therapy). We need to do 10 repetitions of flexion, abduction, and adduction holding for 5-7 seconds each repetition 3 times a day. Jewel is still limited in her activity (i.e. walked on a leash, no jumping, no rough housing with her brother). We have a follow-up appointment in 4 weeks for x-rays and a reevaluation. At that time, we will be told if we can increase her walking activity.

As I mentioned in another post, this process has been tense to see our little girl wobble and hobble. We made a litter out of a blanket for the first 96 hours to carry her to her potty area, help her up, and and assist her to let her do her business. She is in her crate while we are at work and asleep (she normally sleeps with us). We have had a couple of scares with Jewel trying to have her way to jump up on the couch and crawl up the stairs due to lack of communication. This is a no-no...no jumping and no stairs. We have a play pen for her which is much more roomier than her crate to keep her immobile.

We would like to thank the EBN nation for all the sincere thoughts, well-wishes for a speedy recovery, and all the prayers too. I would like to especially thank @Izzy's Mom for her keenful insight. I now know what she has been/going through.

I am writing this hopefully to keep our bullies safe and no one else has to go through this type of escapade.

We will keep you updated on Jewel's progress. :whew:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good to hear she's recovering in schedule. Hang in there!

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thank you for the kind words!!! Hope Jewel has a speedy recovery :) very soon your baby will be able to run free again! PT is exactly how you described "Physical terrorism" lol... Izzy hated it! I had to start waking up at 5am to easy Izzy into her therapy... but soon this time will pass and Jewel will be 100% just like my baby!
We are up at 0400 hours. We go outside then back in. Rest, eat, then rest then pt. My wife is out the door at 0530 and I am on my way at 0630 after one last outing outside with the kids. My wife gets home early afternoon and has the first shift. I am home around five pm.

Bentley is miffed why he can't play with his sister. So we spend time playing in the yard (if it is not too hot and humid). Jewel is in her pen or crate and is basically on injured reserve.

You are most welcome for the kind words and again thanks.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.