My Gracie has cherry eye

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Have people had success with this surgery. My vet says doesn't always work. She is 7 months old and beautiful. uploadfromtaptalk1408541129606.jpg

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
From what I have been reading the operation is usually successful you just need a vet who knows bullies than things should go smoothly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... many here have had success with the surgery - there are varing degress and options related to the procedure. I will tag a few members that might be able to give some insight

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I haven't personally dealt with cherry eye but from what i have read online and from other members here is that the success of the procedure can be hit or miss depending the whether it is a a tuck, reduction or removal and on who does it. A doggie eye specalist or a regular vet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, yes she is Beautiful. My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven has cherry eye. I usually massage it back in. So far so good. It only pops sporadically. Good luck!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My Stig had cherry eye and his operation went well. We chose to partially remove it, which was what my vet recommended. If you massage it back it, I would do just that till you aren't able to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.