Thread: My Gracie has cherry eye

Default My Gracie has cherry eye

Have people had success with this surgery. My vet says doesn't always work. She is 7 months old and beautiful. -uploadfromtaptalk1408541129606-jpg

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Gracie has cherry eye

From what I have been reading the operation is usually successful you just need a vet who knows bullies than things should go smoothly

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN.... many here have had success with the surgery - there are varing degress and options related to the procedure. I will tag a few members that might be able to give some insight
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I haven't personally dealt with cherry eye but from what i have read online and from other members here is that the success of the procedure can be hit or miss depending the whether it is a a tuck, reduction or removal and on who does it. A doggie eye specalist or a regular vet.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, yes she is Beautiful. My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
    We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Raven has cherry eye. I usually massage it back in. So far so good. It only pops sporadically. Good luck!
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Our vet knew bulldogs well and did the surgery. No issues!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My Stig had cherry eye and his operation went well. We chose to partially remove it, which was what my vet recommended. If you massage it back it, I would do just that till you aren't able to.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Remove Ads