Leptovirus In Windsor Ontario

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yes. It is on the rise in our area and since we have mice, voles, moles, deer, foxes, groundhogs, possums, and raccoons in the area, we have vaccinated our kids. Although it is not 100% preventable, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Here is a link to the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/pets/index.html

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the link Roger. Great advice and information. I know there is a leptovirus vaccination for dogs, and our guys have had it, due to we live near a river and we have raccoons, squirrels, skunks, rabbits, mice and other wildlife in our area. We haven't heard of any cases in our area, but the news report mentioned that Windsor has some cases. You mentioned that your kids were vaccinated against leptovirus. Did you mean your fur kids Jewel and Bentley, or did you mean your children? I wasn't aware that there was a vaccine for humans.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks for the link Roger. Great advice and information. I know there is a leptovirus vaccination for dogs, and our guys have had it, due to we live near a river and we have raccoons, squirrels, skunks, rabbits, mice and other wildlife in our area. We haven't heard of any cases in our area, but the news report mentioned that Windsor has some cases. You mentioned that your kids were vaccinated against leptovirus. Did you mean your fur kids Jewel and Bentley, or did you mean your children? I wasn't aware that there was a vaccine for humans.

Sorry. When I refer to my kids...it is Jewel and Bentley. My real kids are grwn and gone out of the nest.

It is almost to the point that I may have to invest into plastic bubbles to put Jewel and Bentley in to ensure they don't come into contact with any nastys.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol. I figured it was your fur babies. Just making sure. I know what you mean though, there's so much out there that our babies can contract. That's why I'm always leery about taking them to the leash free parks.

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
I am in windsor. I had not heard this until now. I always gave my dog vaccinated with this each year. I do not bring him to dog parks, but still vaccinate for any areas at home or outside that may have standing water and puddles. It is not an expensive vaccine. About $20. Worth it. We all have little critters that roam our yards, raccoons, skunks, possums, squirrels, etc.better safe than sorry. I am going to read upon this incident today. Thanks I will keep u posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, we vaccinate ours for that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts