small bald spots on my iggy's head

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
I have noticed small spots of hair loss on Iggy's head. I also am noticing today while checking them that he has little bumps that I think may be the start if new spots? One looks like a little sore or possible hot spot starting. No itching that I have noticed. This is only on top of his head, any ideas? I do not believe it is food related, he has been on "go" forever. Grain free, not corn wheat or soy, very healthy otherwise. IMAG4286.jpg

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
Charlei has also had this problem with little hair loss spots on her head twice in the past... (It just started up again a few days ago AGAIN)
I did go to the vet the first time it happened, but they had no resolution for me, and the hair ended up coming back.
We have had a ton of company over the last few weeks, so ive been wondering if it's possibly stress related with the interruption of her normal routine for an extended period of time...

Interested to see if others have had the same problem..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You should go to the vet and get a scrape done… my Wally is dealing w/demodex mange. And that is how it started out… Good luck & keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post a picture for us to see the spots?

OP
iggypiggy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
We Took iggy to vet today. He does not have mange. She thinks it may be an allergy from outside. She said pollens and stuff are very high right now, and she asked me if he swims a lot. She said it looks like it was probably moist and got irritated. Not 100% sure, but at least she says it is hot spots. The hair literally was falling out when she was examining him. One was a little bloody. She gave us an antibiotic called NovoLexin it is a 500mg pill twice a day for 14 days. She also told us to take a flea comb and get as much of the hair and crust off, get some air into it, to dry it out and promote healing. Also, she said to use some Epsom salt mixed with warm water and really wash the area with this twice a day for two days. This will soothe and help heal. Benadryl is ok to give for the itching. He has not itched hardly at all. Hope this works, a d hope it's only a seasonal or one time thing!!!!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We Took iggy to vet today. He does not have mange. She thinks it may be an allergy from outside. She said pollens and stuff are very high right now, and she asked me if he swims a lot. She said it looks like it was probably moist and got irritated. Not 100% sure, but at least she says it is hot spots. The hair literally was falling out when she was examining him. One was a little bloody. She gave us an antibiotic called NovoLexin it is a 500mg pill twice a day for 14 days. She also told us to take a flea comb and get as much of the hair and crust off, get some air into it, to dry it out and promote healing. Also, she said to use some Epsom salt mixed with warm water and really wash the area with this twice a day for two days. This will soothe and help heal. Benadryl is ok to give for the itching. He has not itched hardly at all. Hope this works, a d hope it's only a seasonal or one time thing!!!!!!

Happy to hear it is not mange! Hhmm.... did she say anything about a staph infection? that is what it looks and sounds like to me

OP
iggypiggy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
She said it could be some type of bacteria, that is why she gave the antiobiotic. She was pretty confident it would clear up in a few days. She wants to see him in about ten days. If I feel it has not changed or has got worse, I need to go back sooner. He has played a lot in his pool with his fur cousin Charlie. They run around, get hot, then take a dip, rest and then start all over!!!! She said it could be from the dampness. Just to let you know, I never leave it full overnight (breeding ground for mosquitoes) and he does not use it everday. I guess i need to start drying him off better. ?????

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm glad to hear it isn't mange… it's hard to say where his allergies have originated from. Anything new that he's exposed to?!! Detergent, soap, floor cleaners?!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She said it could be some type of bacteria, that is why she gave the antiobiotic. She was pretty confident it would clear up in a few days. She wants to see him in about ten days. If I feel it has not changed or has got worse, I need to go back sooner. He has played a lot in his pool with his fur cousin Charlie. They run around, get hot, then take a dip, rest and then start all over!!!! She said it could be from the dampness. Just to let you know, I never leave it full overnight (breeding ground for mosquitoes) and he does not use it everday. I guess i need to start drying him off better. ?????

keep us posted.....

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Charlei has also had this problem with little hair loss spots on her head twice in the past... (It just started up again a few days ago AGAIN)
I did go to the vet the first time it happened, but they had no resolution for me, and the hair ended up coming back.
We have had a ton of company over the last few weeks, so ive been wondering if it's possibly stress related with the interruption of her normal routine for an extended period of time...

Interested to see if others have had the same problem..

I was thinking about the same thing too, it being stress related.

We went to Santa Barbara this weekend for camping and I noticed it literally appearing as I watched him interact with some friends and their dogs. I saw one spot and then after a few minutes, 2 came, then the 3rd. Jake was shedding so much more than he normally does. I have never seen him shed that much.

He is happy, eating normally, drinking normally, and just being happy getting all the attention.

OP
iggypiggy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
Iggy is doing just fine after the antibiotics. We just finished them a few days ago. His hair is growing back in where the spots were. All of the little bumps on his head are gone as well. He is letting us rub and scratch his head again. Everything worked out thankfully. Thanks to all who offered advice and their well wishes! Thanks for asking about him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Iggy is doing just fine after the antibiotics. We just finished them a few days ago. His hair is growing back in where the spots were. All of the little bumps on his head are gone as well. He is letting us rub and scratch his head again. Everything worked out thankfully. Thanks to all who offered advice and their well wishes! Thanks for asking about him.

Glad to hear it! Now we just need some new pics! :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions