The verdict is IN... Wally needs dips...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got back from the vet, and yepā€¦ his demodex mange is spreading :( So now I have to bring him in for a weekly dip, once a week for 6 weeks!!! I'm sure he will be fine, I just want it to be over withā€¦ On another note, is there anything I can do to help his immune system recover from all of this?!!

This has been the week from HELL :evil: NOW I get to go dig my diamond earring out of the sinkā€¦ :yell: I'm having a drink tonight, even though I'm babysitting Marcus tonightā€¦ WHO'S w/me besides [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] ?!! LOL

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Re: The verdict is INā€¦ Wally needs dips...

That sucks i hope it clears up soon. As for his immune system keep giving him probiotics.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

Bummer. poor boy, those dips can be hard on them. Are you giving him NuVet or HardyPet? That will help. Plus get him some Vitamin C, Sodium Ascorbate is the best one for dogs, it is easily absorbed by the body and is easy on the digestive system. I would start with 200 mg twice a day and in about a week go up to 500 mg twice a day. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] here is an interesting article you might be interested in.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?709-Vitamin-C-Benefit-For-Dogs

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Aww poor Walter, I'm so sorry he's going through this. I don't have any experience with Mange. Have you tried giving him warm water and vinegar rinses after shampooing him? Vinegar is a great natural anti bacterial. Demodex Mange is causes by a weak or compromised immune system, and dips can further weaken the immune system.

13 Home Remedies for Mange in Dogs
December 10, 2013 by

What is Mange?

Mange is a kind of skin disease, found in animals and is caused by parasitic mites. The effect of mange can be seen on animals, birds, reptiles, and even plants. Mange is characterized by hair loss, severe itching, and the formation of scabs and abrasions on the skin.

Mange in dogs is known as Sarcoptic mange or canine scabies, which are caused by oval, light-coloured microscopic parasites. All dogs are raised generally with demodectic mange mites, which they get while cuddling with their mother during the first few years of their life. Most dogs live in concord with these mites, without suffering from any problem.

There are two types of mange that can be seen in dogs, demodectic and Sarcoptic. The result of mange can be observed in dogs in the form of scaly bald patches, itching, etc.

Symptoms of Mange

The symptoms of mange depend upon the kind of mites, present in the dog. The demodectic mange can cause bald spots, scabs, sores, and hair loss. The bacterial infections can make demodectic mange more uncomfortable and itchy disease.

Sarcoptic mange generally causes intense itching, which causes restlessness and anxiety. It also causes hair loss, skin redness, and sores. The commonly targeted areas of mange in dogs are face, legs, elbow, and ear. However, it spreads rapidly to the entire body.

Demodectic mange cannot be transmitted to human beings, but sarcoptic mange can cause red bumps on the skin of humans, similar to that of mosquito bite.

How to Treat Mange in Dogs at Home?

The home treatment of mange depends upon the breed of the dog and the type of mange; they have developed. The medication can be given orally or via injection, dips and mange shampoos.

There are certain things that should be followed while treating your dog with the help of home remedies. Firstly, it must be acknowledged whether the dog has developed demodectic mange or sarcoptic mange. In case of sarcoptic mange, the dog should be kept isolated so that the disease does not spread to other pets and human beings. The veterinary doctor may prescribe some anti-parasitic medicines for the dog to ease its itching and inflammation, the results of which can be seen after a monthā€™s treatment.

For treating demodectic mange, besides proper medication, it is also necessary to manage physiological stress. Some infected dogs with demodectic mange require special treatments, like medicated shampoos, to prevent further skin infections. The puppies and younger dogs often get fully recovered with this disease, but, adult dogs require long-term therapy to control the disease. The treatment must be accompanied by skin scraping after every two weeks. After two consecutive scrapes, the medication is discontinued. The final scrape should be performed after a monthā€™s treatment to ensure that the disease does not re-occur.

Home Remedies for Mange Mites on Dogs

Besides appropriate medication, certain home remedies can also be applied on puppies and dogs to provide them relief from soreness and uneasiness of mange.

1. Hydrogen Peroxide and Borax

Mixture of 1% hydrogen peroxide solution in borax powder and water is an effective home remedy for mange cure. Make sure that the mixture is thoroughly dissolved before applying it to your dog. Wash your dog once in a week with this solution, but remember not to wipe dry. If you will wipe the dog dry, the treatment will not show proper effect. Continue with this treatment for at least two weeks.

Note- Borax can make your dog sick if he ingests it, so use an E-collar to prevent the dog from licking it.

2. Honey

Honey is again an excellent remedy for treating mange mites on dogs and puppies. Honey can be applied directly to the skin of the animal, but remember to wipe it off by night; otherwise, the skin of the dog will be bitten by ants.

3. Yogurt

Apply two tablespoons of pure yogurt to the ears of the dog to deal with the problem of crusting and discharge due to mange.

4. Cooking Oil

Direct application of a few drops of cooking oil is an effective measure to address the problem of itching and irritation on the skin of the dog. This alleviates the waxy deposits on the skin of the dog and kills the mites, as well.

5. Apple Cider Vinegar

A tablespoon of unpasteurized apple vinegar cider (ACV) in the petā€™s meal is a powerful cure to treat dogs, suffering with the problem of mange mites.

6. Soapy Water

Use mild soap solution on the skin of your dog as the alkaline nature of the soap prevents the spread of mange mites and kills them, as well.

7. Lemon

Slice a lemon (with a peel) and boil it in water. Soak it overnight. Rub it off with the sponge in the morning. The application of this solution on the petā€™s skin will make the skin glossy, besides treating it with mange.

10. Yellow Dock, Aloe Vera or Calendula Tea

The application of tea of any of these herbs will kill the parasites on the skin of the dog and heal the wound rapidly. It can be applied several times a day.

12. Neem Oil

Neem oil is also an effective home remedy to cure mange in dogs and puppies.

13. Lemon-Garlic Rinse

Make a mixture of 30-40 chopped cloves of garlic with six or more lemon skins and one whole chopped lemon. Add about four liters of water and bring it to boil. When the solution cools, apply it liberally on the skin of the dog. Use it daily for ten days.

Homeopathic Remedies for Curing Mange in Dogs

Homeopathic remedies also work in a natural manner for treating this troublesome condition in dogs and puppies.

Psorinum : It is used for the treatment of mange and as a prophylactic as well.

Sulphur : This remedy is used in ascending potencies.

Tellurium : It is recommended when lesions appear on both sides of the body.

Arsenicum alb : It is used for severe restlessness and itching, which gets worse at night.

Mezereum : It is an excellent remedy for pustular lesions on the face and head.

Defendex All-Natural Flea, Tick and Mange Shampoo : Itā€™s a homeopathic shampoo prevents infestations of mange, fleas and ticks.

Preventive Measures for Mange

The diet of the dog should be proper and must include a high dosage of vitamin C, vitamin A, lecithin, zinc, vitamin E and B complex. Garlic is also an essential supplement to increase the immune system of the dog.
Canned, packaged and milk products must be avoided.
Wash the dogā€™s bedding frequently.
Keep your pet clean by giving it a regular bath.
Brush and comb your pet to free it from mange. Brushing of the fur daily gives an excellent scrape to the dog, which helps in the removal of scabs and scaly skin.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Bummer. poor boy, those dips can be hard on them. Are you giving him NuVet or HardyPet? That will help. Plus get him some Vitamin C, Sodium Ascorbate is the best one for dogs, it is easily absorbed by the body and is easy on the digestive system. I would start with 200 mg twice a day and in about a week go up to 500 mg twice a day.

I've been giving him NuVet, probiotics and coconut oil. I guess I will try the Vitamin C...

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance

Hey poor Walley hope it all clears up soon and mom gets some piece of mind you know we r there 4 you and hope the earring is found Ok

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

Tracey I am so sorry you have one thing after another no wonder your going have a drink tonight maybe you need the whole bottle.

I don't know anything about this but hope the dips work good and does not bring his immunities down any ore.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)

Oh poor Wally!!!! I'm sure he's going to bounce back quickly!

and, I AM WITH YOU WOMAN!!!!! Enjoy that drink

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Poor little Wally!! Enjoy your large drink!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Ah crap... Girl you can not catch a break! Hope you enjoyed your drink and time with Marcus

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Ah crap... Girl you can not catch a break! Hope you enjoyed your drink and time with Marcus

Thanks girlā€¦
I didn't get to enjoy that drinkā€¦ NOT yetā€¦ Lol Lily, Marcus & I enjoyed pizza, lemonade and watched Toy Story 2 last night!!! :w00t:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Is there any pictures. I would like to compare.

Sure let me take some and I will post them...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

[MENTION=10517]iggypiggy[/MENTION]

Here are pics of Wally w/demodex mange. Sorry some of them are blurry, he would NOT sit stillā€¦ Lol

GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpegGetAttachment.aspx-3.jpegGetAttachment.aspx-4.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.