phlem, vomiting, i don't know

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So twice this week Mack has hacked up some stuff and I don't know if he is getting sick or not. Monday night he woke up in the middle of the night vomiting little bits of food and a little bile. I thought maybe there was something bothering him in his stomach and then he just laid down and slept rest of the morning. I watched him for a day and he ate all his food, took his bendryl as usually. He seemed fine after that evening, well last night he slept fine and then this morning he climbed off my bed and coughed/ vomiting some kinda of white substance, I don't know if it phlem or not. There was no bile or food from the stomach or anything. Around this time last year he had some drainage that messed with him that required me to go to the vet and do all these x rays because he wasn't eating and the vet had no idea what was going on. So I talked to the breeder I got him from and she just have him a penicillin shot and he was fine after that, so after all the vet bills and him not knowing what was going on, it just took a $25 dollar shot from tractor supply that fixed him all up. So I am debating on stopping by tractor supply and getting a penicillin shot for him, like the breeder did if has another spell of this.

Have yall had any experiences like this?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… well does he have clear discharge from his nose or any other sign of allergies?!! Red watery eyes, sneezing… is he coughing at all? I know that some bullies have issues overnight w/empty stomach so sometimes they will vomit up bile. Do you give him a snack before bed?

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Hmm… well does he have clear discharge from his nose or any other sign of allergies?!! Red watery eyes, sneezing… is he coughing at all? I know that some bullies have issues overnight w/empty stomach so sometimes they will vomit up bile. Do you give him a snack before bed?

He doesn't have a runny nose, he hasn't coughed any, his eyes seem a little red at times. Usually after he gets done eating, he coughs up phlem in his throat but he never coughs it out. I have been giving him a little treat before be lately, but its a small dog cookie

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He doesn't have a runny nose, he hasn't coughed any, his eyes seem a little red at times. Usually after he gets done eating, he coughs up phlem in his throat but he never coughs it out. I have been giving him a little treat before be lately, but its a small dog cookie

Is he coughing up food after he eats?!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't give him anything, it's probably just his allergies acting up. Our Buddy would hack up the white foamy stuff every once in awhile.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I wouldn't give him anything, it's probably just his allergies acting up. Our Buddy would hack up the white foamy stuff every once in awhile.

Same here. You could give him a squirt of lemon juice. My vet says it's normal for them to hack up some white foamy occasionally.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do you give him Benedryl with dinner ? If this is only happening at night, and not after eating. It is probably allergies bothering him while sleeping. Give him, two Benedryl ( 1 mg per pound of dog) with dinner and see if it makes a difference

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Do you give him Benedryl with dinner ? If this is only happening at night, and not after eating. It is probably allergies bothering him while sleeping. Give him, two Benedryl ( 1 mg per pound of dog) with dinner and see if it makes a difference

Well it has been a week and nothing has happened, I am going to say it was a allergy thing and maybe an upset stomach. I know he is feeling fine because I caught him yesterday snoozing on the kitchen table. He pulled out the chair, jumped on it and climbed on the table, it was the funniest thing and he has never done that before.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well it has been a week and nothing has happened, I am going to say it was a allergy thing and maybe an upset stomach. I know he is feeling fine because I caught him yesterday snoozing on the kitchen table. He pulled out the chair, jumped on it and climbed on the table, it was the funniest thing and he has never done that before.
I'm so happy to hear he is feeling better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

good to hear he is doing better.... keep us posted

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
My 9 yo will hack up white phlegm that will go clear across the room.. like 15 feet plus!!! it's like a cough / sneeze.. the part that concerned me was the vomiting of food AND bile. To me that sounded like a blockage. Bile would normally be empty stomach and food should be only after eating within a few hours or so.. but since things seem to be doing better, that's good

Most Reactions