White toenails and pale/pink pads

Bratati

Aug 8, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We adopted a bulldog 2 days ago. All of her nails but 3 are black- 3 (on the same paw) are white/pale and overgrown. She will not let us trim them (she let us trim the others). Also, all of her pads but the three associated with the pale nails are black. The pads with the pale nails are white/pink. When we try to clean the pads or touch them, she pulls it away as it if hurts. Any suggestions as to what the issue may be? She had a checkup with our vet yesterday, but the vet did not notice this issue.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We adopted a bulldog 2 days ago. All of her nails but 3 are black- 3 (on the same paw) are white/pale and overgrown. She will not let us trim them (she let us trim the others). Also, all of her pads but the three associated with the pale nails are black. The pads with the pale nails are white/pink. When we try to clean the pads or touch them, she pulls it away as it if hurts. Any suggestions as to what the issue may be? She had a checkup with our vet yesterday, but the vet did not notice this issue.

She probably had a bad experience getting her nails clipped if she is older or if she is a pup, she is not used to having her paws touched. Pulling the paws away is common and she just needs to be trained to trust you with her feet. Start by giving her pads little massages when pet or scratch her. Use treats like dried liver when you play with her feet and nails to get her to associate the experience with something good. I personally prefer the use of a dremmel with a sanding tip to do our dogs' nails. They tolerate it better than clipping as the clipping sensation can feel weird to some dogs. Either way, give her a treat after every nail you clip and avoid getting too close to the quick as that is painful. Pretty soon she will love getting her nails done. Lola lets us paint hers different colors.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
How old is your Baby? Elmo use to hate his nails to be cut, so I started giving him a treat before and after, now he doesn't mind because he know he gets a treat. Love My Boy Elmo, YO YO.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
She probably had a bad experience getting her nails clipped if she is older or if she is a pup, she is not used to having her paws touched. Pulling the paws away is common and she just needs to be trained to trust you with her feet. Start by giving her pads little massages when pet or scratch her. Use treats like dried liver when you play with her feet and nails to get her to associate the experience with something good. I personally prefer the use of a dremmel with a sanding tip to do our dogs' nails. They tolerate it better than clipping as the clipping sensation can feel weird to some dogs. Either way, give her a treat after every nail you clip and avoid getting too close to the quick as that is painful. Pretty soon she will love getting her nails done. Lola lets us paint hers different colors.

:goodpost:

OP
B

Bratati

Aug 8, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My girl is 4 years old. We did use a dremmel tool to cut her nails. She didn't mind it until we got to the three discolored/white nails. I think there is some sort of pain/issue with these three nails, but we'll give her treats the next time we try too to help make it more of a positive experience. Thanks!

OP
B

Bratati

Aug 8, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your advice! We spent a few days touching and playing with her paw so she was more comfortable with the idea. We tried nail trimming today with treats and a lot of affection & calmness. She let us trim her three overgrown white nails.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Wonderful Sweet Bully Baby, I am so glad that she is more comfortable with her paws. Love and Kisses to Karma.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Since these are different colored nails (which is totally common for dogs to have different color nails), she may of had a bad experience like other people have said. It's harder to see the quick with black nails. So my thoughts are that someone in her past cut her nail too low and now she's freaked out by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.