Off to the vet with Bennie again:(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Last night Bennie had a bleeding spot on his back, I washed him with Pyostat shampoo and hoped for the best, he was fine this morning and the wound looked better, but tonight he all the sudden got lots of bumps on his back and bum, they're not bleeding but he's very itchy:( I'm so sad for him, my little boy, he's so sensitive.

It's bedtime here now and he's sleeping, gonna phone the vet tomorrow and hope they have time for us in the morning. Luckily a new vet opened here in town just a while ago so I don't have to take him to Pretoria. I think this vet should be able to help him out with this...

He's been itchy for a while but his skin has looked good, nice color and no bumps or sores, I don't know if it's the season or if it's something else... it's so hard to know where to start:unsure: I'm considering trying different food for him but that has been a disaster in the past so I don't know:( maybe I should try to feed him raw...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH... sounds like hives! Could he have gotten bit by something?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] It's possible... during the day yesterday there were a big bug flying against one of the windows and Bennie was there checking it out before I could get it out. He was drooling but I couldn't see any bite marks on him, I checked his nose and it was normal color and size, not swollen or red, so I thought he just drooled out of excitement... he does that. I don't think it's the bug though, he's got a history of getting reactions to things, I think this might be staph:( It's getting warmer here now and **** like that is going around then, our other dogs don't get it luckily, it's like Bennie's immune system is weaker then theirs. He always gets **** like that, and he's very sensitive to changes in food, weather or tick bites.

He gets coconut oil on his food and when I have I give him yogurt too, but I think he needs more. Gonna look into that tomorrow depending on what the vet says... I just hope he can sleep nicely trough the night, I feel horrible when he's itchyand I don't have anything I can give him at this point:( The Pyostat bath makes him feel a little better at least:)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I hope Bennie feels better soon, certainly sounds like a bite or contact allergy :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh NO… poor Bennie!!! I hope that he feels better soon, it does sound like he got bit by something… keep us posted!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry you're going through this with Bennie. It could be hives, a bug bite, anything. You may never know what caused it. I hope the vet can give him something to clear it up. Have you tried rinsing him with ACV after his bath. ACV kills a lot of bacteria, and parasites, and is good for the skin. I hope he feels better soon.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone:) The bumps are completely gone this morning so now I'm unsure if I should bother going to the vet:unsure:. He is still itchy on that spot that was bleeding, but he gets spots like that sometimes and they go away with pyostat shampoo. I'm not worried about that spot... it occurs maybe 2-3 times a year and it's always just one spot. He doesn't scratch it so I don't think it's so bad.

I found a tick on him this morning:( I think maybe they caused the bumps? He had an allergic reaction to tick bite last year but it was much worse then... Can't believe it, it's winter here still, ticks shouldn't be awake:(

I will try rinsing him in ACV tonight if he is itchy, hopefully he will stay fine now since it went away... I have to find a natural way to keep ticks away from him, I don't want to give him any pills or use that collar since he's so sensitive. I read that if you boil rosemary and spray that water on them it will repel ticks... I'm gonna try it. Any other ideas?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks everyone:) The bumps are completely gone this morning so now I'm unsure if I should bother going to the vet:unsure:. He is still itchy on that spot that was bleeding, but he gets spots like that sometimes and they go away with pyostat shampoo. I'm not worried about that spot... it occurs maybe 2-3 times a year and it's always just one spot. He doesn't scratch it so I don't think it's so bad.

I found a tick on him this morning:( I think maybe they caused the bumps? He had an allergic reaction to tick bite last year but it was much worse then... Can't believe it, it's winter here still, ticks shouldn't be awake:(

I will try rinsing him in ACV tonight if he is itchy, hopefully he will stay fine now since it went away... I have to find a natural way to keep ticks away from him, I don't want to give him any pills or use that collar since he's so sensitive. I read that if you boil rosemary and spray that water on them it will repel ticks... I'm gonna try it. Any other ideas?

Poor baby… that is really weird that you guys have ticks in the winter. Normally here they all are gone in the winter months :unsure: I have NO idea how to prevent ticks naturally, but I will ask the experts on this [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Real Name
Monica
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Recent Bully Market Gifts

View All...

Natural Tick Repellent
I cannot tell you how excited I am to discover this ridiculously easy, natural tick repellent that really works.

But before I spill the secret, let me give you some background information:

We just moved to a property deep in the woods of Pennsylvania.

My dog and I were diagnosed at the same time with Lyme’s Disease 2 summers ago.

We caught it early, got treated and now we’re all better.

I hike and/or creek swim in the woods with my dog 5 to 6 days a week, March through October.

Where I currently live has the greatest number of confirmed Lyme’s Disease cases in the whole country.

I hate chemicals.

Before I discovered this natural tick repellent, we’ve been pulling a minimum of 3 to 4 ticks off my dog each day and usually one to two on me.

I hate ticks.

My husband told me we had to figure something out with all these ticks or else he wanted to put Frontline on my dog.

I hate Frontline.

It’s full of dangerous chemicals and not good for dogs (or for people that love to hug and cuddle their pets).

Okay, got all that?

So then a few weeks ago, my essential oil guru, Meagan from Growing Up Herbal, wrote a guest post on Primally Inspired teaching us how to make super easy homemade bug repellent oils. I tried her easy recipe since bugs are terrible where I live this time of year. Her homemade oil recipe worked like a charm! Truth be told, it even surprised me how well it worked.

In the post, she also mentioned that Rose Geranium Essential Oil was a good tick repellent for animals. So I bought some Rose Geranium oil, hoping and praying it would work or else I would have to go the Frontline route.

I put a drop of Rose Geranium Oil in between my dogs shoulder blades and a drop at the base of his tail each day before we go outside. That’s it.

I also put a drop on the insides of my wrist and a drop behind my ears.

We did our daily hike and creek swim in the woods. We came back. No ticks.

What, no ticks?! I thought this is too good to be true.

To this day (it’s been going on 4 weeks now *update 3/22/14 – it’s been going on over 8 months now and no ticks!!!!!!!), I have not pulled one single tick off my dog or me. We went from pulling 3 to 4 ticks a day off him to NONE. Zip. Zero. Nada.

This is huge!

I have no idea why Rose Geranium oil works so well, but honestly, I don’t even care. Okay, scratch that – I’m a nerd and I am kind of curious to learn why it works so well, so if you know, please enlighten me.

I’m just so happy that I don’t have to put Frontline on my dog and that I found something completely natural that costs way less than Frontline AND that really works for both me and my dog! (and it smells really, really good!)

0 Comment(s)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor baby, it's good that he's better, but isn't it frustrading not knowing where it comes from...?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], will definitely try Rose Geranium Essential oil, it would be awesome if it's that simple:)

Poor baby, it's good that he's better, but isn't it frustrading not knowing where it comes from...?

It is but I'm pretty sure the bleeding wound have nothing to do with the bumps. The wound was identified as staph, that a bird around here carries, and if a dogs immune system is low it can break out:( and since he had a bad reaction to a tick bite last year the bumps might come from that... I think the solution to the problem is to get his immune system stronger, but since he's SO sensitive changing foods have been a nightmare:fie: and we always end up going back to the original food.

We will go to the butcher this weekend and ask them if they can help us out, I want to try to feed him raw, or at least part raw with his original food. I think though he is sensitive to chicken... so we'll go for beef for him even though we don't eat it ourselves, he's a lucky bugger, I might have to steal some of his food:)

I'm gonna soak up some info from raw feeding threads first, I don't know anything about it:blush2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, dear Tracey, for that compliment *blushing happily*...as always [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION],
Monica, has got this :) Frontline nearly killed my beloved cat, Coco Chanel, the ONE and
only time I used it. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online