Blue Rocky Mountain recipe causing severe diarrhea

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Hello i am writing this to inform people that blue rocky Mountain recipe is causing my 9 month old Bulldog to have severe diarrhea. I made the switch from Blue wilderness 2 weeks ago did it gradual like one should.. He had firm stools and dew to being forced OT on Saturday was crated for way longer then he should of been. 12hrs I got home and he didn't go in his crate. I was so proud of him.. Then starting Sunday night I opened new bag of food and fed as normal and by Sunday night he has had severe diarrhea.. Can't hold it more then 5 hrs I have been getting up in the middle of night and taking him out.. My dog Walker is out of town this week so he is in there for 8 hrs while at work and it's been a daily ritual of cleaning him and the crate.. I don't have any family close by to come take him out for me. I feel so bad for him. My fiance has been out of town for work and gets back today so she is gonna go check on him and take him out at 11 when her flight gets in.

I don't want to point fingers but have a real hard time believing it's not the food.. I read online where there 670 complaints with consumer affairs rite now on the food.. Allot steaming from the last few months. I finally found a place that carries orijen and I am stopping after work and my boy is switching imeaditly to it. Also gonna grab some pre made raw tubes to feed as well. Any suggestions on how to handle this. Thanks

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

Mods if you feel this should be moved to diet nutrion feel free to do so. I wasn't sure where to post it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the post.... do the slow switch or you can do bland diet for a few days to settle his system and go to the Orijen

good luck --- hope he feels better real quick

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Ty for the link.

I talked with vet and he like so many vets wants me to switch to Hills ID.. I want to go to orijen from all the research I have done orijen is above great.. But i also thought blue was great.

I really need some solid advice here folks. Follow vet or follow instinct and my research.. The vet also said he would prescribe anti diarrhea meds.. But was thinking about using pumpkin instead of meds. Thoughts on that as well. I just need some other very well informed members to speak up and help me make the rite choice..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ty for the link.

I talked with vet and he like so many vets wants me to switch to Hills ID.. I want to go to orijen from all the research I have done orijen is above great.. But i also thought blue was great.

I really need some solid advice here folks. Follow vet or follow instinct and my research.. The vet also said he would prescribe anti diarrhea meds.. But was thinking about using pumpkin instead of meds. Thoughts on that as well. I just need some other very well informed members to speak up and help me make the rite choice..

Follow your instinct and research. Unfortunately, vets are not overly knowledgable on nutrition and foods, they just know what they sell and get a kick-back on. Orijen is a great food and to my knowledge has never had any recalls or issues.

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Ended up buying a bag of orijen some pro biotic and the meds. Pulled food for 24hrs will feed tonight when I get home. He hasn't had a bowl movement since yesterday.. So things are settling down. I'm gonna go against the rule and switch food imeaditly I'm not feeding either of my baby's the blue anymore. Started my other dog yesterday on the orijen nice solid formed stool this morning.. Tonight will be the tale of the tape I'm if it's good and solid great I expect to have some loose stools tho... Hate to transition instantly but just felt I should.. I will update again tomorrow.. Have a great day..

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Just a little update so tonight my fiance picks me up from class I look in the back seat and see she has bought a bag of Hills I immediately went to the link above cause I saw a recall on Hills on the site. It wasn't the kind it was senior but I told we are returning it anyway.. She was kinda like he haw around about it.. Cause she is not like me and done any research on dog food. Anyway I convinced her to go to the pets mart..

So we are in line returning the bag.. And a lady walks in with a bag of blue buffalo Rocky Mountain recipe so I instantly walked over and asked her why she was returning it.. She looked at me like I was nuts.. And I startled her. But low and behold her dog has got severe diarrhea and has completely stopped eating the food hasn't eating for 2 days.. I told what I had found and told the sales associate they better look into pulling the bags off the shelf. I also told them I would be bringing the bag I had.. She then went on to tell me that 3 other people have returned the same food in the last week.. So now I'm not sure what to do how I go about reporting the issue?

Since I making a a post I will update on Tyson he lived his orijen he had a small bowl movement and it had some constancy to it.. I will have better idea in the morning how the transition is doing. My pug has had 3 bowl. Movements now all firm and she made a instant transition yesterday so far so good.. I am gonna check the link that was provided on reporting the issue and see what I can do.. Thanks

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Just a little update so tonight my fiance picks me up from class I look in the back seat and see she has bought a bag of Hills I immediately went to the link above cause I saw a recall on Hills on the site. It wasn't the kind it was senior but I told we are returning it anyway.. She was kinda like he haw around about it.. Cause she is not like me and done any research on dog food. Anyway I convinced her to go to the pets mart..

So we are in line returning the bag.. And a lady walks in with a bag of blue buffalo Rocky Mountain recipe so I instantly walked over and asked her why she was returning it.. She looked at me like I was nuts.. And I startled her. But low and behold her dog has got severe diarrhea and has completely stopped eating the food hasn't eating for 2 days.. I told what I had found and told the sales associate they better look into pulling the bags off the shelf. I also told them I would be bringing the bag I had.. She then went on to tell me that 3 other people have returned the same food in the last week.. So now I'm not sure what to do how I go about reporting the issue?

Since I making a a post I will update on Tyson he lived his orijen he had a small bowl movement and it had some constancy to it.. I will have better idea in the morning how the transition is doing. My pug has had 3 bowl. Movements now all firm and she made a instant transition yesterday so far so good.. I am gonna check the link that was provided on reporting the issue and see what I can do.. Thanks

Interesting coincidence. I would most defintely get the lot number off of the food bag and render the complaint. It could help other pet owners avoid gastric distress in their loved ones. Glad to hear your guys are coming around. Thanks for the update.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok TY mama. What's your thoughts on the pumpkin over meds?

Sorry - I am just seeing this. I prefer pumkin over meds where it is due to a food issue... a tablespoon is pleanty

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Ok TY.. That's what I was gonna do. But since they prescribed metrodonzol I figured I would run it just in case of Guardia not sure if I spelled either of those words rite.. If the just would of prescribed lomitol I would of went the pumpkin route.. Lol..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.