Help Needed! Demodex mange.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus had a few spots of this when he was little. The biggest spot on his back just below his neck is still noticeable to me because I think the hair grew in differently. The vet initially have me Ivermectin for him, but it made him sick and I had to tackle him to make him take it. I started bathing him with a peroxide shampoo, supplementing his food with fish oil, and applying Goodwinol ointment 2xs per day and eventually just once per day. I would also wash just the demodex spots with the peroxide shampoo another 2 times per week, instead of giving him another bath. It takes a long time for the hair to start growing back.

OP
lcordero24

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
I've given now two hydrogen peroxide and borax baths and they're not scratching anymore. The bald spots are starting to dissappear. I've used neem oil on the spots, acv on their food and yogurt treats. So far they're improving. It's a slow process but they're recovering.

OP
lcordero24

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for all your tips, my dogs are demodex free now. The vet did two scraps in different places and no trace of demodex was found. All the work finally paid off.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad you won the battle against the Demodex Mange, and they are feeling better and healing. Keep giving them the ACV in their water everyday and the yogurt and Omega Oils, as these things will boost their immune systems on a daily basis and help them fight infections, parasites, and any allergy symptoms.

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
Hey - can someone tell me what the demodex mange looks like? My dog is thinning hair in patches on his back and the mange scraping came back negative. I still think it's mange tho!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey - can someone tell me what the demodex mange looks like? My dog is thinning hair in patches on his back and the mange scraping came back negative. I still think it's mange tho!

I saw your pics and that was my first thought too.... can you go to another vet for a second opinion or ask for the test again?

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess

Our bully had thinning hair, and it was the sure sign of Demodex mites. Luckily, we had very few hot spots or actual skin issues -- it was mostly just the thinning hair with some scratching. Unlike most on this thread, we gave Duchess Ivermectin daily (it is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine). We grew from 2-3ml daily to 6ml daily (I believe... either 6 or 7). And a weekly shampoo. This cleared her up in six months.

The dermatologist specifically said to us that the thinning hair patches was what we should look for as an indication they were coming back. Perhaps try another vet? Or even a doggie dermo... they were expensive but worth it in managing the whole process.

Good luck and hope everyone's bullies feel better soon!

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
I saw your pics and that was my first thought too.... can you go to another vet for a second opinion or ask for the test again?

We did ask for the test again. We brought him in this past Friday and they did another 5 scrape tests with nothing. I am wondering if because the hair is only thinning maybe the mites are more difficult to see? I don't know.

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
Our bully had thinning hair, and it was the sure sign of Demodex mites. Luckily, we had very few hot spots or actual skin issues -- it was mostly just the thinning hair with some scratching. Unlike most on this thread, we gave Duchess Ivermectin daily (it is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine). We grew from 2-3ml daily to 6ml daily (I believe... either 6 or 7). And a weekly shampoo. This cleared her up in six months.

The dermatologist specifically said to us that the thinning hair patches was what we should look for as an indication they were coming back. Perhaps try another vet? Or even a doggie dermo... they were expensive but worth it in managing the whole process.

Do you have any pics of what the thinning hair looked like? Did they do a scratch test or just treat him?

Also, any advice on what kind of medicated shampoo?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/46276-bully-puppy-hair-loss.html

This is my dog's thinning hair - did it look like that?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did ask for the test again. We brought him in this past Friday and they did another 5 scrape tests with nothing. I am wondering if because the hair is only thinning maybe the mites are more difficult to see? I don't know.

Not sure --- is it possible you can get us a closer picture of the skin? What are you feeding Bruce and how old is he?

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
Not sure --- is it possible you can get us a closer picture of the skin? What are you feeding Bruce and how old is he?

Brucy Brucy.JPG

Here it is

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne

He is 5 months old and he was on purina pro plan. I just switched him to Zignature (similar to Fromm) to see if that helps. It's grain, chicken and corn free.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Our Dudley has just been diagnosed with this horrible complaint, just like to say thanks to everyone who has posted treatment suggestions on this thread, we will check out all the ones we have not already looked into.

Great Forum!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is 5 months old and he was on purina pro plan. I just switched him to Zignature (similar to Fromm) to see if that helps. It's grain, chicken and corn free.

when did you do the switch and is that when the spots started?

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne

We switched him from Purina Beneful to Purina Pro Plan and that is when the hair loss started. It was like 2 weeks afterward. Although the ingredients are that different, so I am not sure how it could have been the food.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the pics look like Mange to anyone? He isn't red and itchy or scabbing. Just fur loss.

Most Reactions