Help Needed! Demodex mange.

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
Went to the vet because I saw some bald spots on the back of my bully. It was diagnosed demodex mange and they gave me a syrop and some antibiotics. After ten days took him to the vet again and they said that the mange spread. Now they gave me a medicated shampoo and conditioner (which are expensive) and more syrop and antibiotics. I am asking for any house remedy that help my dog with his mange ?? I've read about Borax and hydrogen peroxide, has anyone tried it ?? Thanks all

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Seems like you and [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] are going through kind of the same thing:( I don't know of any home remedy's but I've read that stress can trigger it, also keeping his immune system strong will suppress it from coming back. Organic coconut oil and plain yogurt is something many on here including me put on their dogs food:) I think someone with more experience will come along very soon, it's not uncommon with Demodex mange unfortunately.

Found this info but not sure if it works... might be worth reading though:) I would consult my vet before using something since he's already on medication.

[h=3]Home Remedies for Mange Mites on Dogs[/h]Besides appropriate medication, certain home remedies can also be applied on puppies and dogs to provide them relief from soreness and uneasiness of mange.
1. Hydrogen Peroxide and Borax
Mixture of 1% hydrogen peroxide solution in borax powder and water is an effective home remedy for mange cure. Make sure that the mixture is thoroughly dissolved before applying it to your dog. Wash your dog once in a week with this solution, but remember not to wipe dry. If you will wipe the dog dry, the treatment will not show proper effect. Continue with this treatment for at least two weeks.
Note- Borax can make your dog sick if he ingests it, so use an E-collar to prevent the dog from licking it.
2. Honey
Honey is again an excellent remedy for treating mange mites on dogs and puppies. Honey can be applied directly to the skin of the animal, but remember to wipe it off by night; otherwise, the skin of the dog will be bitten by ants.
3. Yogurt
Apply two tablespoons of pure yogurt to the ears of the dog to deal with the problem of crusting and discharge due to mange.
4. Cooking Oil
Direct application of a few drops of cooking oil is an effective measure to address the problem of itching and irritation on the skin of the dog. This alleviates the waxy deposits on the skin of the dog and kills the mites, as well.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
A tablespoon of unpasteurized apple vinegar cider (ACV) in the petā€™s meal is a powerful cure to treat dogs, suffering with the problem of mange mites.
6. Soapy Water
Use mild soap solution on the skin of your dog as the alkaline nature of the soap prevents the spread of mange mites and kills them, as well.
7. Lemon
Slice a lemon (with a peel) and boil it in water. Soak it overnight. Rub it off with the sponge in the morning. The application of this solution on the petā€™s skin will make the skin glossy, besides treating it with mange.
10. Yellow Dock, Aloe Vera or Calendula Tea
The application of tea of any of these herbs will kill the parasites on the skin of the dog and heal the wound rapidly. It can be applied several times a day.
12. Neem Oil
Neem oil is also an effective home remedy to cure mange in dogs and puppies.
13. Lemon-Garlic Rinse
Make a mixture of 30-40 chopped cloves of garlic with six or more lemon skins and one whole chopped lemon. Add about four liters of water and bring it to boil. When the solution cools, apply it liberally on the skin of the dog. Use it daily for ten days.
[h=3]Homeopathic Remedies for Curing Mange in Dogs[/h]Homeopathic remedies also work in a natural manner for treating this troublesome condition in dogs and puppies.
Psorinum : It is used for the treatment of mange and as a prophylactic as well.
Sulphur : This remedy is used in ascending potencies.
Tellurium : It is recommended when lesions appear on both sides of the body.
Arsenicum alb : It is used for severe restlessness and itching, which gets worse at night.
Mezereum : It is an excellent remedy for pustular lesions on the face and head.
Defendex All-Natural Flea, Tick and Mange Shampoo : Itā€™s a homeopathic shampoo prevents infestations of mange, fleas and ticks.
[h=3]Preventive Measures for Mange[/h]
  • The diet of the dog should be proper and must include a high dosage of vitamin C, vitamin A, lecithin, zinc, vitamin E and B complex. Garlic is also an essential supplement to increase the immune system of the dog.
  • Canned, packaged and milk products must be avoided.
  • Wash the dogā€™s bedding frequently.
  • Keep your pet clean by giving it a regular bath.
  • Brush and comb your pet to free it from mange. Brushing of the fur daily gives an excellent scrape to the dog, which helps in the removal of scabs and scaly skin.
  • Donā€™t allow your dog near another infected pet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with your bully. I hope he feels better soon. Petra has you covered and has given you excellent information. I was going to suggest using apple cider vinegar as well. I hope you can clear it up soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear that your baby is battling demodex mange as wellā€¦ I take Wally in for his 2 week check-up on Friday. We are using Pyoben shampoo (weekly bathes and daily spot scrubs), Rilexine meds & Goodwinol ointment. I'm giving him fat-free plain greek yogurt, and organic coconut oil daily. I'm afraid that it's spreading unfortunatelyā€¦ I have heard that it gets worse before it gets better :(

OP
lcordero24

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for all your advise. Today I bathe my bullies with a medicated shampoo I bought from the vet, but also I used hydrogen peroxide and borax after. I also added acv to their food and tomorrow I'll make a neem oil spray to use it on the bald spots. I'll keep you updated.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just posted a list of natural treatments for Demodex Mange for ddnene (Tracey) as she is going through this with her bully Walter. The treatments and dips that the vet prescribes can further weaken the immune system, and this can make the Demodex Mange worse. You want to boost the immune system, to help fight the mange. You can do this by adding probiotics, (yogurt) to the kibble everyday, apple cider vinegar to the drinking water, and also rinsing him with warm water and white vinegar after his bath. Also using omega oils such as salmon, cod liver oil or coconut oil. There are other natural methods which I listed on Tracey's page. You can look under her thread to see the list. I hope he feels better soon

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Went to the vet because I saw some bald spots on the back of my bully. It was diagnosed demodex mange and they gave me a syrop and some antibiotics. After ten days took him to the vet again and they said that the mange spread. Now they gave me a medicated shampoo and conditioner (which are expensive) and more syrop and antibiotics. I am asking for any house remedy that help my dog with his mange ?? I've read about Borax and hydrogen peroxide, has anyone tried it ?? Thanks all

Don't bother with the borax and peroxide. I did that to a poor yorkie I was fostering and the solution dried out his skin to the point of pain. Demodex mites live inside the hair follicle shaft and only come out to the surface in the evening hours to mate so shampoos are not really effective. The only shampoo that does anything is benzoyl peroxide shampoo which flushes the follicle. Even that on its own will not cure demodex that has spread from local to generalized. The best treatment is ivermectin, which is the syrup you got from your vet.
The good news it that you can get ivermectin over the counter at any feed store or on the Internet. The brand is Ivomec. It is exactly what the vet is giving you only not outrageously priced. It only costs about $35 for 50 ml. It will take several months to clear up and should be administered a full month after the second negative skin scrape.
My Leo had demodex twice so I know more than I want to know about it. PM me and I will send you the veterinary chart for dosage amounts if you end up buying the ivomec.

bellas

Aug 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
bella
MY girl has been battling demodex for about 6 months now we've tried everythin except dips, I too purchased Ivomec could you provide me with the dosage you gave your baby my girl weighs about 32lbs.

Don't bother with the borax and peroxide. I did that to a poor yorkie I was fostering and the solution dried out his skin to the point of pain. Demodex mites live inside the hair follicle shaft and only come out to the surface in the evening hours to mate so shampoos are not really effective. The only shampoo that does anything is benzoyl peroxide shampoo which flushes the follicle. Even that on its own will not cure demodex that has spread from local to generalized. The best treatment is ivermectin, which is the syrup you got from your vet.
The good news it that you can get ivermectin over the counter at any feed store or on the Internet. The brand is Ivomec. It is exactly what the vet is giving you only not outrageously priced. It only costs about $35 for 50 ml. It will take several months to clear up and should be administered a full month after the second negative skin scrape.
My Leo had demodex twice so I know more than I want to know about it. PM me and I will send you the veterinary chart for dosage amounts if you end up buying the ivomec.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
@bellas the dosage is .5cc (or .5 ml) dogs 30-36 lbs. So if you have a 1 ml/cc syringe, you would fill it half way. Do this everyday for 30 days then get a skin scrape done at the vet. Skin scrapes should be done once a month. After TWO negative skin scrapes, administer the ivomec for an additional month before stopping. I learned this the hard way after stopping immediately after one clean scrape and the mites came back. Buy some dermabenss benzoyl peroxide shampoo and wash her every week with it. It's a follicle flush that will prevent a secondary skin infection by removing all the dead mites and sebum that clog up the follicles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
It seems to me there is a epidemic of this mange crap within the forum nation. I wish all of your bullies who a plagued with this crap a safe, fast, healthy, and a speedy full recovery. Good wishes and vibes.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It seems to me there is a epidemic of this mange crap within the forum nation. I wish all of your bullies who a plagued with this crap a safe, fast, healthy, and a speedy full recovery. Good wishes and vibes.

You know I'm seeing a LOT of dogs diagnosed w/thisā€¦ or maybe I'm just more aware since Wally is going thru the dips. Wally went from localized to generalized mangeā€¦ and it's a royal PITA!!! Either route that you take stinksā€¦ they either ingest poison or you put it on their skin. I just hope that this worksā€¦ :pray:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
You know I'm seeing a LOT of dogs diagnosed w/thisā€¦ or maybe I'm just more aware since Wally is going thru the dips. Wally went from localized to generalized mangeā€¦ and it's a royal PITA!!! Either route that you take stinksā€¦ they either ingest poison or you put it on their skin. I just hope that this worksā€¦ :pray:

We hope that it works too. Wally is a pleasantly plump tubby lumpkin super trooper.:whew:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We hope that it works too. Wally is a pleasantly plump tubby lumpkin super trooper.:whew:

Aww Thank YOU!!! He's a definite handful lately, I will give him thatā€¦ LMAO!!! :p

bellas

Aug 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
bella
Thanks so much I will def start this today.

@bellas the dosage is .5cc (or .5 ml) dogs 30-36 lbs. So if you have a 1 ml/cc syringe, you would fill it half way. Do this everyday for 30 days then get a skin scrape done at the vet. Skin scrapes should be done once a month. After TWO negative skin scrapes, administer the ivomec for an additional month before stopping. I learned this the hard way after stopping immediately after one clean scrape and the mites came back. Buy some dermabenss benzoyl peroxide shampoo and wash her every week with it. It's a follicle flush that will prevent a secondary skin infection by removing all the dead mites and sebum that clog up the follicles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.