Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demodex mange.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex mange.

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    You know I'm seeing a LOT of dogs diagnosed w/this… or maybe I'm just more aware since Wally is going thru the dips. Wally went from localized to generalized mange… and it's a royal PITA!!! Either route that you take stinks… they either ingest poison or you put it on their skin. I just hope that this works…
    We hope that it works too. Wally is a pleasantly plump tubby lumpkin super trooper.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    We hope that it works too. Wally is a pleasantly plump tubby lumpkin super trooper.
    Aww Thank YOU!!! He's a definite handful lately, I will give him that… LMAO!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bella
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much I will def start this today.

Quote Originally Posted by agentbunny View Post
    @bellas the dosage is .5cc (or .5 ml) dogs 30-36 lbs. So if you have a 1 ml/cc syringe, you would fill it half way. Do this everyday for 30 days then get a skin scrape done at the vet. Skin scrapes should be done once a month. After TWO negative skin scrapes, administer the ivomec for an additional month before stopping. I learned this the hard way after stopping immediately after one clean scrape and the mites came back. Buy some dermabenss benzoyl peroxide shampoo and wash her every week with it. It's a follicle flush that will prevent a secondary skin infection by removing all the dead mites and sebum that clog up the follicles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Ruckus had a few spots of this when he was little. The biggest spot on his back just below his neck is still noticeable to me because I think the hair grew in differently. The vet initially have me Ivermectin for him, but it made him sick and I had to tackle him to make him take it. I started bathing him with a peroxide shampoo, supplementing his food with fish oil, and applying Goodwinol ointment 2xs per day and eventually just once per day. I would also wash just the demodex spots with the peroxide shampoo another 2 times per week, instead of giving him another bath. It takes a long time for the hair to start growing back.

I've given now two hydrogen peroxide and borax baths and they're not scratching anymore. The bald spots are starting to dissappear. I've used neem oil on the spots, acv on their food and yogurt treats. So far they're improving. It's a slow process but they're recovering.

Thanks for all your tips, my dogs are demodex free now. The vet did two scraps in different places and no trace of demodex was found. All the work finally paid off.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad you won the battle against the Demodex Mange, and they are feeling better and healing. Keep giving them the ACV in their water everyday and the yogurt and Omega Oils, as these things will boost their immune systems on a daily basis and help them fight infections, parasites, and any allergy symptoms.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce Wayne
    Likes (Received)

Hey - can someone tell me what the demodex mange looks like? My dog is thinning hair in patches on his back and the mange scraping came back negative. I still think it's mange tho!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kshingle View Post
    Hey - can someone tell me what the demodex mange looks like? My dog is thinning hair in patches on his back and the mange scraping came back negative. I still think it's mange tho!
    I saw your pics and that was my first thought too.... can you go to another vet for a second opinion or ask for the test again?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kshingle View Post
    Our bully had thinning hair, and it was the sure sign of Demodex mites. Luckily, we had very few hot spots or actual skin issues -- it was mostly just the thinning hair with some scratching. Unlike most on this thread, we gave Duchess Ivermectin daily (it is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine). We grew from 2-3ml daily to 6ml daily (I believe... either 6 or 7). And a weekly shampoo. This cleared her up in six months.

The dermatologist specifically said to us that the thinning hair patches was what we should look for as an indication they were coming back. Perhaps try another vet? Or even a doggie dermo... they were expensive but worth it in managing the whole process.

Good luck and hope everyone's bullies feel better soon!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce Wayne
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I saw your pics and that was my first thought too.... can you go to another vet for a second opinion or ask for the test again?
    We did ask for the test again. We brought him in this past Friday and they did another 5 scrape tests with nothing. I am wondering if because the hair is only thinning maybe the mites are more difficult to see? I don't know.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce Wayne
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post
    Our bully had thinning hair, and it was the sure sign of Demodex mites. Luckily, we had very few hot spots or actual skin issues -- it was mostly just the thinning hair with some scratching. Unlike most on this thread, we gave Duchess Ivermectin daily (it is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine). We grew from 2-3ml daily to 6ml daily (I believe... either 6 or 7). And a weekly shampoo. This cleared her up in six months.

The dermatologist specifically said to us that the thinning hair patches was what we should look for as an indication they were coming back. Perhaps try another vet? Or even a doggie dermo... they were expensive but worth it in managing the whole process.

Do you have any pics of what the thinning hair looked like? Did they do a scratch test or just treat him?

Also, any advice on what kind of medicated shampoo?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/46276-bully-puppy-hair-loss.html

This is my dog's thinning hair - did it look like that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads