brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can train Jelly so you can have a bit more time with her. I am going through this with m 12yr old lab and like Jelly she has good days and bad days. It makes it really hard to make a decision because when you see them having a good day you think ok it's not time. I guess the time will come when the answer is apparent (I hope). I will pray for you and Jelly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 75450Jelly today, she's having a good day, even though she looks a little sad! We'll take this day by day....still if anyone has any advice on how to re-train her to go on a pee pad on the back deck, that would make a huge difference for her. THANK YOU to the replies I've gotten you have no idea what that means!

She is so pretty.... I think Lisa has a good idea.... place the pads in the house where she has been goin (if she has) and just trow away after used.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I'm so sorry this part and time of Jelly's life is here. I had a similar situation with my beloved Ace. He was 12. He too was having the same health issues that Jelly is having, potting, heavy panting and not the type of panting because they've been out playing or it's hot (a health related panting). Ace's littler mate brother (Orion) had passed year before and he was never the same after that. I'm of a belief that one of the greatest and most unselfish things we can do for our pets is to know when the time is here. It's one of the most gut wrenching decisions one can make, to send our babies to Rainbow Bridge. But we do so with love and knowing it was the best for them. I don't believe in letting a pet suffer longer than they should for our own hearts. They love and love us and that's my love I can give them to back, making that decision. For Ace, I knew. Not only was it his health, he also had Cushions Disease and his personality had changed. Sure he was still Momma's baby, but he was not himself anymore. And I saw it in his eyes. Their eyes will tell it's time too. That December I made Ace's appointment to go to sleep in my arms in our home. I had a full week to spend with him before that sad sad day. Did I question my decision, yes and no. Yes because she would smile at me but no because I knew he was suffering. While that week was the incredibly hard for me, I was able to spend some solid quality time with him until the end. I was content when he passed. I will say that when that moment happened (the first shot that relaxes them), I had never known how much tension he had had in his poor body. He completely released the tension and I felt so relieved for him.

If you know within your heart that it is time, then it is time. It's the hardest thing like I said that we can do, but it's the most loving thing we can do for our babies too. My heart goes out to you. :hug:

I'm so sorry for you...I've never gone through this before, it's the hardest thing ever. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can train Jelly so you can have a bit more time with her. I am going through this with m 12yr old lab and like Jelly she has good days and bad days. It makes it really hard to make a decision because when you see them having a good day you think ok it's not time. I guess the time will come when the answer is apparent (I hope). I will pray for you and Jelly.

That's the hardest part...the good days, they are far and few between, but still, it makes it very hard.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
She is so pretty.... I think Lisa has a good idea.... place the pads in the house where she has been goin (if she has) and just trow away after used.

Yes, I agree, I will try Lisa's idea. And yes, she has started peeing in the house, she's NEVER EVER done that! Once she was house broken she always went outside! I feel so bad for her, she looks sad when I find a place she's peed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, I agree, I will try Lisa's idea. And yes, she has started peeing in the house, she's NEVER EVER done that! Once she was house broken she always went outside! I feel so bad for her, she looks sad when I find a place she's peed.

She knows she shouldn't so I am sure it bothers her too..... sweet baby -- give her a big @$$ hug from me

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@love jelly

I have been where you are many times. [MENTION=3995]Jeanne[/MENTION]Co said it best. You will know by her eyes-she will tell you when it's time. We all will pray for you and Jelly.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
THANK YOU to everyone for your comments and suggestions. This forum is awesome, I wish I had more time to read through every topic on here, and to fully figure out how to use this board! ;) (I keep looking for a "like" button).
We are working hard to train her to go potty on pee pads on the back deck, so far, she's not understanding what I want her to do, but I'll keep at it. I know if she didn't have to go up and down the stairs she would be more comfortable and I'm sure she would enjoy life a little more. Again this morning she "played" with Livi and Beck, she's always happy to see them. I agree I think/hope I can see it in her eyes when she's ready to go. I'll try to not look at her through my "mom goggles"...(The Goldbergs) ...the goggles all mom's have, they allow them to see their kid as perfect.
Again...THANK YOU! :heartsign:

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Jelly is 11 & 1/2, she has arthritis and is at that point where we need to start thinking about whether or not we need to have her put to sleep.
She has trouble getting up and down the stairs and even moving around in general, she sleeps most of the time, and pants a lot.
Her panting wakes me up during the night sometimes a couple times during the night. She has started peeing in the house, something she has NEVER done.
I had her at the vet on Thursday and he thought we should think about putting her to sleep, but said he would support whatever my decision was.
We live in Florida in a flood zone so the main living level of the house is upstairs, which means she has to go up and down the stairs to go potty.
I have a back deck (second floor) and I'm wondering if I could train her to go on some kind of pee pee pad on that deck. It's a screened in deck so it's not something I could hose off.
In my head I know it's probably time, but my heart is breaking. She's been on all the arthritis meds, and pain meds (RX) and even glucosamine chondroitin MSM with vit. D, and low dose baby aspirin and has gotten progressively worse. This is the third year she's been on meds.
For the most part I agree she doesn't have much quality of life, but when my kids come over with their kids she is so happy to see everyone and even plays with them a little, nothing like she used to, but enough to make me feel like she isn't ready.
Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get her to go potty on the back deck, and what to use so I can pick it up and throw it away. I love her so much and can't bear the thought of taking her to end her life. :( How does someone do that? :tissue:
View attachment 75436

I'm so sorry to hear about Jelly. It's very difficult to say goodbye to our friends, but to be the one to make the decision is excruciating. You will know when it is the right time. My only recomendation when you do decide to say goodbye is to have a mobile vet come to your home to do it instead of taking Jelly to the vet. It is only a little more expensive but giving your best friend the dignity of leaving in peace at home, without the fear of that last trip the vet, is the best final gift you can give. We have had many animals and have had to go through this several times and never again will we be driving to the vet when the time comes. My heart hurts for you as I know what you are going through.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
First of all, I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby Jelly. My heart just breaks for you :( I have been in your position several times, and it's not an easy situation. I had a cat that I had to put to sleep that was 18 years old, and over a year ago I had to put to sleep a 4 mos old bully puppy with terminal neurological issues. People always say that you will know when it's time… and you do!!! When they start losing their ability to live a normal life then you have to ask yourself the tough questions… what would you want for yourself in their position?!!

You ask how can somebody put down a pet that they love? And my answer to you is that you do this because you LOVE them, and you LOVE them enough to let them go so that they will not suffer any longer. It is the most unselfish act that any loving pet owner can do for their babies. Of course it hurts… it hurts VERY much, but deep down you know that you have done the right thing. And personally for me I know that someday I will be reunited w/all my babies, and that is the one thing that carries me forward.

I hope that this brings you some peace of mind regarding your decision… and we are always here for you every step of the way. Many people here have dealt w/this, and it helps to know that others have gone thru the same situation. Sending you and your family hugs & prayers at this difficult time.
How beautifully put,as i wipe tears and think of the rainbow bridge. Sure hope it helps paws and hands held in prayer

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
They make potty grassy things you can buy and I think put a tinkle pad under them. So maybe that's an idea??

So sorry you're going through this, I'll be praying

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Sorry to hear you going through this... Try some Rhus Tox for her arthritis. You can get it from a health grocery store or online.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.