Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: end of life questions

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: end of life questions

THANK YOU to everyone for your comments and suggestions. This forum is awesome, I wish I had more time to read through every topic on here, and to fully figure out how to use this board! (I keep looking for a "like" button).
    We are working hard to train her to go potty on pee pads on the back deck, so far, she's not understanding what I want her to do, but I'll keep at it. I know if she didn't have to go up and down the stairs she would be more comfortable and I'm sure she would enjoy life a little more. Again this morning she "played" with Livi and Beck, she's always happy to see them. I agree I think/hope I can see it in her eyes when she's ready to go. I'll try to not look at her through my "mom goggles"...(The Goldbergs) ...the goggles all mom's have, they allow them to see their kid as perfect.
    Again...THANK YOU!
    Cindy

https://www.facebook.com/caconiam

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by love jelly View Post
    Jelly is 11 & 1/2, she has arthritis and is at that point where we need to start thinking about whether or not we need to have her put to sleep.
    She has trouble getting up and down the stairs and even moving around in general, she sleeps most of the time, and pants a lot.
    Her panting wakes me up during the night sometimes a couple times during the night. She has started peeing in the house, something she has NEVER done.
    I had her at the vet on Thursday and he thought we should think about putting her to sleep, but said he would support whatever my decision was.
    We live in Florida in a flood zone so the main living level of the house is upstairs, which means she has to go up and down the stairs to go potty.
    I have a back deck (second floor) and I'm wondering if I could train her to go on some kind of pee pee pad on that deck. It's a screened in deck so it's not something I could hose off.
    In my head I know it's probably time, but my heart is breaking. She's been on all the arthritis meds, and pain meds (RX) and even glucosamine chondroitin MSM with vit. D, and low dose baby aspirin and has gotten progressively worse. This is the third year she's been on meds.
    For the most part I agree she doesn't have much quality of life, but when my kids come over with their kids she is so happy to see everyone and even plays with them a little, nothing like she used to, but enough to make me feel like she isn't ready.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get her to go potty on the back deck, and what to use so I can pick it up and throw it away. I love her so much and can't bear the thought of taking her to end her life. How does someone do that?
    Attachment 75436
    I'm so sorry to hear about Jelly. It's very difficult to say goodbye to our friends, but to be the one to make the decision is excruciating. You will know when it is the right time. My only recomendation when you do decide to say goodbye is to have a mobile vet come to your home to do it instead of taking Jelly to the vet. It is only a little more expensive but giving your best friend the dignity of leaving in peace at home, without the fear of that last trip the vet, is the best final gift you can give. We have had many animals and have had to go through this several times and never again will we be driving to the vet when the time comes. My heart hurts for you as I know what you are going through.

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    First of all, I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby Jelly. My heart just breaks for you I have been in your position several times, and it's not an easy situation. I had a cat that I had to put to sleep that was 18 years old, and over a year ago I had to put to sleep a 4 mos old bully puppy with terminal neurological issues. People always say that you will know when it's time… and you do!!! When they start losing their ability to live a normal life then you have to ask yourself the tough questions… what would you want for yourself in their position?!!

You ask how can somebody put down a pet that they love? And my answer to you is that you do this because you LOVE them, and you LOVE them enough to let them go so that they will not suffer any longer. It is the most unselfish act that any loving pet owner can do for their babies. Of course it hurts… it hurts VERY much, but deep down you know that you have done the right thing. And personally for me I know that someday I will be reunited w/all my babies, and that is the one thing that carries me forward.

I hope that this brings you some peace of mind regarding your decision… and we are always here for you every step of the way. Many people here have dealt w/this, and it helps to know that others have gone thru the same situation. Sending you and your family hugs & prayers at this difficult time.
    How beautifully put,as i wipe tears and think of the rainbow bridge. Sure hope it helps paws and hands held in prayer

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastian
    Likes (Received)

Prayers

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

They make potty grassy things you can buy and I think put a tinkle pad under them. So maybe that's an idea??

So sorry you're going through this, I'll be praying

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear you going through this... Try some Rhus Tox for her arthritis. You can get it from a health grocery store or online.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

I've been down this road with two bullies. I do agree that when the time comes a mobile vet would be best. My heart breaks for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tyree213 View Post
    Sorry to hear you going through this... Try some Rhus Tox for her arthritis. You can get it from a health grocery store or online.
    I missed this comment, I just ordered it at Amazon. THANKS! She's still hanging in there, I made a "sling" to put around her to help her up and down the stairs. She could not get the idea to pee on the back deck, she's been a good dog about NEVER peeing anywhere except outside in the grass....she has some really good days, and some really bad ones...but I think it's still not time. :/
    Cindy

https://www.facebook.com/caconiam

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I missed this comment, I just ordered it at Amazon. THANKS! She's still hanging in there, I made a "sling" to put around her to help her up and down the stairs. She could not get the idea to pee on the back deck, she's been a good dog about NEVER peeing anywhere except outside in the grass....she has some really good days, and some really bad ones...but I think it's still not time. :/

enjoy her.... hugs to you both
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

thanku for updating us on Jelly. I know i don't need to tell u this but keep showering her with lots of hugs 'n kisses

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

Just saw this thread now. I am crying because Jelly looks so sweet. Prayers for you and your baby. The sling is a great idea! Petunia and i send our love. <3

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

My Mickey - who is 10-11 years old too - has severe arthritis in his spine and hips. I have recently put him on Tramadol and it seems to be helping him. I was having trouble with him sleeping at night - he was up and down all night. Now he sleeps most of the night. I had to put my Lilly down two years ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but she had lymphoma and she stayed with me as long as she could, but one day I knew it was time. She knew it was hard for me and like the trooper she was she tried her best not to make it too hard for me. My prayers are with you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads