Thread: end of life questions

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: end of life questions

I'm so sorry this part and time of Jelly's life is here. I had a similar situation with my beloved Ace. He was 12. He too was having the same health issues that Jelly is having, potting, heavy panting and not the type of panting because they've been out playing or it's hot (a health related panting). Ace's littler mate brother (Orion) had passed year before and he was never the same after that. I'm of a belief that one of the greatest and most unselfish things we can do for our pets is to know when the time is here. It's one of the most gut wrenching decisions one can make, to send our babies to Rainbow Bridge. But we do so with love and knowing it was the best for them. I don't believe in letting a pet suffer longer than they should for our own hearts. They love and love us and that's my love I can give them to back, making that decision. For Ace, I knew. Not only was it his health, he also had Cushions Disease and his personality had changed. Sure he was still Momma's baby, but he was not himself anymore. And I saw it in his eyes. Their eyes will tell it's time too. That December I made Ace's appointment to go to sleep in my arms in our home. I had a full week to spend with him before that sad sad day. Did I question my decision, yes and no. Yes because he would smile at me but no because I knew he was suffering. While that week was the incredibly hard for me, I was able to spend some solid quality time with him until the end. I was content when he passed. I will say that when that moment happened (the first shot that relaxes them), I had never known how much tension he had had in his poor body. He completely released the tension and I felt so relieved for him.

If you know within your heart that it is time, then it is time. It's the hardest thing like I said that we can do, but it's the most loving thing we can do for our babies too. My heart goes out to you.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default end of life questions

Quote Originally Posted by love jelly View Post
    Thank you, I don't want her to suffer. You're right, it will be a very unselfish act, but oh so hard.
    I feel like if I can get her to go potty on the back deck, she will be ok for a while, it's the stairs that are so hard on her and of course she's too heavy to carry up and down the stairs.
    Reading the above responses brings tears to my eyes, they are right, you will know when it's time. I'm so sorry, I do think you could try to train her on the pads. You can also get the human pads (Assurance incontinent pads) and put them in places in the house she's already been going. Peed pads on the trash and poo down the toilet, and you can take more time to make the decision and see if it helps her pain with not having to go up and down the stairs.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

-img_0825-jpgJelly today, she's having a good day, even though she looks a little sad! We'll take this day by day....still if anyone has any advice on how to re-train her to go on a pee pad on the back deck, that would make a huge difference for her. THANK YOU to the replies I've gotten you have no idea what that means!
    Cindy

https://www.facebook.com/caconiam

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can train Jelly so you can have a bit more time with her. I am going through this with m 12yr old lab and like Jelly she has good days and bad days. It makes it really hard to make a decision because when you see them having a good day you think ok it's not time. I guess the time will come when the answer is apparent (I hope). I will pray for you and Jelly.
    My smooshy face boy!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

That made me cry, but thank you, I will remember that!
    I didn't mean to make you cry, i just know how hard the decision is. Sending you lots of love!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

-img_0825-jpgJelly today, she's having a good day, even though she looks a little sad! We'll take this day by day....still if anyone has any advice on how to re-train her to go on a pee pad on the back deck, that would make a huge difference for her. THANK YOU to the replies I've gotten you have no idea what that means!
    She is so pretty.... I think Lisa has a good idea.... place the pads in the house where she has been goin (if she has) and just trow away after used.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I'm so sorry this part and time of Jelly's life is here. I had a similar situation with my beloved Ace. He was 12. He too was having the same health issues that Jelly is having, potting, heavy panting and not the type of panting because they've been out playing or it's hot (a health related panting). Ace's littler mate brother (Orion) had passed year before and he was never the same after that. I'm of a belief that one of the greatest and most unselfish things we can do for our pets is to know when the time is here. It's one of the most gut wrenching decisions one can make, to send our babies to Rainbow Bridge. But we do so with love and knowing it was the best for them. I don't believe in letting a pet suffer longer than they should for our own hearts. They love and love us and that's my love I can give them to back, making that decision. For Ace, I knew. Not only was it his health, he also had Cushions Disease and his personality had changed. Sure he was still Momma's baby, but he was not himself anymore. And I saw it in his eyes. Their eyes will tell it's time too. That December I made Ace's appointment to go to sleep in my arms in our home. I had a full week to spend with him before that sad sad day. Did I question my decision, yes and no. Yes because she would smile at me but no because I knew he was suffering. While that week was the incredibly hard for me, I was able to spend some solid quality time with him until the end. I was content when he passed. I will say that when that moment happened (the first shot that relaxes them), I had never known how much tension he had had in his poor body. He completely released the tension and I felt so relieved for him.

If you know within your heart that it is time, then it is time. It's the hardest thing like I said that we can do, but it's the most loving thing we can do for our babies too. My heart goes out to you.
    I'm so sorry for you...I've never gone through this before, it's the hardest thing ever. Thank you for sharing your story with me.
    Cindy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can train Jelly so you can have a bit more time with her. I am going through this with m 12yr old lab and like Jelly she has good days and bad days. It makes it really hard to make a decision because when you see them having a good day you think ok it's not time. I guess the time will come when the answer is apparent (I hope). I will pray for you and Jelly.
    That's the hardest part...the good days, they are far and few between, but still, it makes it very hard.
    Cindy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angelica (aka JELLY)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    She is so pretty.... I think Lisa has a good idea.... place the pads in the house where she has been goin (if she has) and just trow away after used.
    Yes, I agree, I will try Lisa's idea. And yes, she has started peeing in the house, she's NEVER EVER done that! Once she was house broken she always went outside! I feel so bad for her, she looks sad when I find a place she's peed.
    Cindy

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I agree, I will try Lisa's idea. And yes, she has started peeing in the house, she's NEVER EVER done that! Once she was house broken she always went outside! I feel so bad for her, she looks sad when I find a place she's peed.
    She knows she shouldn't so I am sure it bothers her too..... sweet baby -- give her a big @$$ hug from me
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@love jelly

I have been where you are many times. @JeanneCo said it best. You will know by her eyes-she will tell you when it's time. We all will pray for you and Jelly.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry for you...I've never gone through this before, it's the hardest thing ever. Thank you for sharing your story with me.
    My heart goes out to you. This is one of the most difficult decision to make and it's a painful one.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads