Bella Back Leg Problems

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello, how's everybody doing? It's been a while but I'm posting on here because my dog Bella is acting funny when she walks. I just noticed this this morning when I took her out of her crate that her back leg was kind of wobbly and she wasn't putting any pressure on it. I didn't think anything of this because I thought maybe since I woke her up in the middle of the night to come sleep in my room she was just tired. This morning however, we took her outside and we noticed that her leg was still like that. It seems she won't put any pressure on her back leg and hobbles a little bit. I know she shouldn't be overweight as the vets weighed her and she was only 53 pounds last we took her. She is only 11 months years old and we feed her Fromm's and she seems to be a healthy dog they say.

I have scheduled an appointment today to go see the vet and that is at four. It is 9 AM here so we have a few hours and right now she is just laying down on the bed with me taking a nap. Not putting any pressure on her injured leg. I'm not what sure what to do as I have not experienced this before with Bella. Any suggestions or thoughts on what might have happened would be amazing right now as I am really worried as you can imagine.

Thanks,
Bryan
6y6e4u2u.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww Bella is a beautiful baby :luv: What she is experiencing is pretty common from what I've read on EBN… Wally went thru a spell of this, he wouldn't use his back leg and hobbled on it for days. He just happened to be going to the vets for shots and she pretty much chalked it up to "growing pains". Their joints are very unstable as pups so sometimes they favor their legs for awhile. Wally's went away, but some days he will hobble around again. I wouldn't worry too much about it… especially if she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Let us know what the vet tells you this afternoon...

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Okay. And thank you very much for putting my mind a little at ease! You're right when it comes to she seems to not be in any pain. Every time we touch the leg or she tries to put weight on it a little she does not whimper or act funny so that is a good sign. But as far as growing pains in dogs I have not heard of this before but then again this is my first dog I've ever owned. She's doing great now and laying on the bed and after playing around with her leg she seems to not be in any pain. I'm hoping at the very least it's a sprained or even better nothing and she's just having those growing pains. I'm really hoping for the best because right now I'm finishing up my college degree and am at that stage where I'm just a poor college kid and can barely afford regular vet check ups! I really hope there's nothing to this and I am hoping x-rays will not cost a fortune if needed. Thank you again for putting my mind at ease but if anybody else has any experience with this please post! The more input on the situation the better.

Thanks,
Bryan

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
She might have just strained something. When Frank was a puppy, he pulled a muscle or strained it a bit and was limping for a while. We just limited his activity and kept an eye on it. You might just want to make sure she isn't doing too much activity like jumping or stairs and just watch her and make sure it doesn't get worse.

She is so adorable! That is such a great picture of Bella!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Okay. And thank you very much for putting my mind a little at ease! You're right when it comes to she seems to not be in any pain. Every time we touch the leg or she tries to put weight on it a little she does not whimper or act funny so that is a good sign. But as far as growing pains in dogs I have not heard of this before but then again this is my first dog I've ever owned. She's doing great now and laying on the bed and after playing around with her leg she seems to not be in any pain. I'm hoping at the very least it's a sprained or even better nothing and she's just having those growing pains. I'm really hoping for the best because right now I'm finishing up my college degree and am at that stage where I'm just a poor college kid and can barely afford regular vet check ups! I really hope there's nothing to this and I am hoping x-rays will not cost a fortune if needed. Thank you again for putting my mind at ease but if anybody else has any experience with this please post! The more input on the situation the better.

Thanks,
Bryan

My vet could totally move around Wally's kneecap… it's extremely normal. That's why it's best to NOT allow them to jump too much (on furniture especially) so they don't injure themselves during these growth years. Wally injured his leg because my crazy boxer Roxie mowed him over outside playing :blink: As long as she's acting normal otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it...

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks Biogirl and thanks again ddnene. I'm really hoping you guys are both right because we are really worried right now. She's taking a nap and looks pretty adorable and I don't want anything happening to her healthwise! Especially this early in her stages of life. I'm hoping it's nothing but we will find out later today. Thanks for the feedback again. I really hope nothing will ever happen to her...

usu9u2eb.jpg

(Bella just a few weeks ago ^)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Biogirl and thanks again ddnene. I'm really hoping you guys are both rate because we are really worried right now. She's taking a nap and looks pretty adorable and I don't want anything happening to her healthwise! Especially this early in her stages of life. I'm hoping it's nothing but we will find out later that day. Thanks for the feedback again. I really hope nothing will ever happen to her...

usu9u2eb.jpg

(Bella just a few weeks ago ^)

OMG that face!!! :heartsign:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beauty Bella has grown into.... I agree with Tracy and Erin.... could be growing pains or a sprain - especially since she is letting you touch and move it around.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=10634]Bryan4Bella7[/MENTION] Another possibility is a subluxating kneecap. It could show up, since she is weighing more now. I hope it is just growing pains as all have said. Best of luck at the vets.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Update on Bella. Just got back from the vet. The veterinarian said that she maybe sprained it and it's nothing serious! (Thank Goodness!). She did say that she needs to take it easy for a week and she got prescribed seven pills to be taken daily for her pain and inflammation. I'm just glad she's okay and it's nothing serious after all! Here are a couple goofy pics just taken a little bit ago at the vets office and at home...

u3apyheh.jpg

gu4esupe.jpg

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yep! Hopefully this nagging injury is gone by the weekend! She seems to be doing better already though!!! Pretty relieved after this mornings scare!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update on Bella. Just got back from the vet. The veterinarian said that she maybe sprained it and it's nothing serious! (Thank Goodness!). She did say that she needs to take it easy for a week and she got prescribed seven pills to be taken daily for her pain and inflammation. I'm just glad she's okay and it's nothing serious after all! Here are a couple goofy pics just taken a little bit ago at the vets office and at home...

u3apyheh.jpg

gu4esupe.jpg

LOVE these shots and the comments are fitting!! she is a beauty! Happy to hear it is nothing serious

Most Reactions