Update on Walter's Mange...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just wanted you to know that it isn't that bad :) I can relate, I am allergic to everything too..........I even get hives/rash on my arms and wrists when I pet Mayhem. For some reason this only happens with Boxers and Bulldogs. The great news is, it doesn't stop me from petting him :)

I'm allergic to everything… I've been getting shots for 3 years now!!! I'm also allergic to dogs, but I don't break out when I pet them… Lol My biggest issues lately have been the perfumes and cleaners… I've had to go all organic (which is better for the environment anyway) and anything that I put on my body. Lotions, soap, shampoos… it's expensive and exhausting :whew:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I'm allergic to everything… I've been getting shots for 3 years now!!! I'm also allergic to dogs, but I don't break out when I pet them… Lol My biggest issues lately have been the perfumes and cleaners… I've had to go all organic (which is better for the environment anyway) and anything that I put on my body. Lotions, soap, shampoos… it's expensive and exhausting :whew:

Poor thing :( My daughter has to do the same thing.....all organic household cleaners too; and yes, it is extremely expensive :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
If Walter is just a puppy then the best thing is to do nothing,feed a good probiotic such as primal defense ultra,feed lots of fresh tripe,keep him as stress free as possible with just gentle excersize ,raw feed him if you can,all dogs have mites usually stress or compromised immune system will activate the mites,if it's just localized spots then it should resolve itself on it's own ,if it's generalized then dips are the only answer,you could use fuciderm on the spots ,I know this as Hilda got demodex at 5 months ,just 2 spots ,the vet wanted me to start the dips immediately ,I dipped her once but the side effects were terrible so I upped the tripe,fed probiotics and put fuciderm on the spots,within 3 weeks the mites were inactive,she's 8 months old now and just had her first season and is totally up to full health ,dips and antibiotics can cause the immune system to be even more compromised than before,please do a lot of research and don't let your vet dictate to you,stand your ground and try to do it naturally

Oh WOW… Thanks for all the info. I've never used primal defense ultra or given him fresh tripe. I have seriously thought about going raw… we have a pet store here that sells the raw patties, and I've notice that several members are doing just that. That's so crazy that your vet wanted you to do dips for just 2 spots?!! Our vet is just having us treat the localized spots for now, not sure what he's going to say on Thursday. I agree w/you that it's best to do things naturally, it seems that most vets just want to sell meds and do surgeries. Our new vet office seems to be more conservative on their approach to things, so I'm happy about that. I'm glad that your baby is healthy now!!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Unfortunatly most vets here in the uk just want to medicate ,my knee jerk reaction was a dip,but I only gave her the 1 ,it was supposed to be 5 !!,thank goodness I didn't ,I had never dealt with demodex before and it's a frightening thing to deal with,now I'm so relaxed,I know not to worry as most puppy's grow out of it ,hope Walter comes through this ok and yes raw is the best way to feed any dog

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Tracey, I am sure your Baby Wally is going to be fine, you are doing everything right for him, it will take a little time, but Wally will be all Better. Love to You and Wally.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Sorry to hear that it's spreading but don't stress too bad..I'm sure you will find a treatment that works and he will be just fine!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.