ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It will be 2 weeks on Thursday since Walter was diagnosed w/demondex mange. I've been giving him his antibiotics, weekly medicated baths, and cleaning his spots twice a day plus putting ointment on them. Yesterday I noticed he has a couple more spots cropping up on his head :yell: Guess this isn't localized anymore… Ugh!!! I'm taking him to the vets on Thursday for a check-up… I'm afraid his next step may be the dips.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Jeez that's so frustrating..you're doing everything you can to treat it and it still spreads after medicated baths and antibiotics? Its never easy with these guys is it? Good luck tracey..hope the vet can do something that gets rid of it.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jeez that's so frustrating..you're doing everything you can to treat it and it still spreads after medicated baths and antibiotics? Its never easy with these guys is it? Good luck tracey..hope the vet can do something that gets rid of it.

It's in the hair follicle, so I'm not really sure if I CAN stop it from spreading unfortunately :( It's really frustrating...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
what causes it? I don't know much about it.

All dogs carry these mites that cause demodex mange. But for some unknown reasons… it could be stress or autoimmune related they can have an outbreak where they get spots of hair loss, scabs and itchy skin. Remember when Wally had that puppy strangles a few months back?!! I think his immune system has been low since that happened, and then of course we went to Florida. He seemed fine w/Ms. Susan, but I'm sure that he was stressed out about the changes in his routine. Remember that dog Pearl?!! She had a SEVERE case of demodex mange that went untreated...

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
well i hope wally starts improving soon...yes I remember Pearl...shes looking much better now right?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh poor Wally! Give him lots of kisses from me and the boys. I hope it clears up soon.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
well i hope wally starts improving soon...yes I remember Pearl...shes looking much better now right?

Yep, she looks fantastic!!! All of her hair came back :w00t:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Tracey, that sucks! However, Mayhem had to have the dips, which weren't really dips, when he had demodectic mange. I took him to the vet once a week and it was actually "a bath" with a special medication that was left on them for xx minutes. They said that I could do it at home, but you had to be careful about getting it in the eyes and make sure to get it into all of the creases and wrinkles, so I opted for them to do it. He loved going every week and basically dragged me into the vets office, he was so eager (before the dips started, he hid when we got the vets office and hated going). My vet said in his 20+ years, he had only 1 dog that had a recurrence of the mange after the dips and other medications and that dogs owner did not follow his direction and complete the oral medications.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
He will be fine Tracey:hug: the dip isn't fun but it will sort it out if it comes to that. But really, I've heard that it might get worse before it goes away, the mites are protesting now, they will give up in time I'm sure of it:)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He will be fine Tracey:hug: the dip isn't fun but it will sort it out if it comes to that. But really, I've heard that it might get worse before it goes away, the mites are protesting now, they will give up in time I'm sure of it:)

I will fight till the death… and I WILL WIN!!! Lol :fencing:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, that sucks! However, Mayhem had to have the dips, which weren't really dips, when he had demodectic mange. I took him to the vet once a week and it was actually "a bath" with a special medication that was left on them for xx minutes. They said that I could do it at home, but you had to be careful about getting it in the eyes and make sure to get it into all of the creases and wrinkles, so I opted for them to do it. He loved going every week and basically dragged me into the vets office, he was so eager (before the dips started, he hid when we got the vets office and hated going). My vet said in his 20+ years, he had only 1 dog that had a recurrence of the mange after the dips and other medications and that dogs owner did not follow his direction and complete the oral medications.

The vet has told me the dips were the next stage, and I would have to take him there for that. I'm allergic to everything… I've been wearing gloves w/his benadryl peroxide shampoo because whenever I have used it I had a reaction to it :blink:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
The vet has told me the dips were the next stage, and I would have to take him there for that. I'm allergic to everything… I've been wearing gloves w/his benadryl peroxide shampoo because whenever I have used it I had a reaction to it :blink:

I just wanted you to know that it isn't that bad :) I can relate, I am allergic to everything too..........I even get hives/rash on my arms and wrists when I pet Mayhem. For some reason this only happens with Boxers and Bulldogs. The great news is, it doesn't stop me from petting him :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
If Walter is just a puppy then the best thing is to do nothing,feed a good probiotic such as primal defense ultra,feed lots of fresh tripe,keep him as stress free as possible with just gentle excersize ,raw feed him if you can,all dogs have mites usually stress or compromised immune system will activate the mites,if it's just localized spots then it should resolve itself on it's own ,if it's generalized then dips are the only answer,you could use fuciderm on the spots ,I know this as Hilda got demodex at 5 months ,just 2 spots ,the vet wanted me to start the dips immediately ,I dipped her once but the side effects were terrible so I upped the tripe,fed probiotics and put fuciderm on the spots,within 3 weeks the mites were inactive,she's 8 months old now and just had her first season and is totally up to full health ,dips and antibiotics can cause the immune system to be even more compromised than before,please do a lot of research and don't let your vet dictate to you,stand your ground and try to do it naturally

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.