URGENT!!! Vomiting for 24 hrs can't hold down water

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi everyone! It's been too long and I am so sorry for disappearing :( I have had so much crap over the last couple months! I need help and had no where else to go! We are very scared and don't know what to do!!!

Brutus has been getting I to the babies pacifiers and luckily they all came out! He also has been tearing toilet paper and everything else you can imagine!!! Well yesterday morning he started vomiting and got worse through the day :( At around 11 pm we decided we couldn't wait and went to ER :( 450$ later and we still don't know what is wrong! They did X-ray as I thought obstruction and they said it looks suspious but not guaranteed there is soemhing in there! We we're give an option for exploratory surgery to see if there is something! Not only am I broke but Brutus didn't handle his last surgery well at all and it lead to seizures :(

He hasn't vomited today yet but I also haven't given m water or food :( Please help

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh no honey, I'm so sorry to hear about Brutus!!! Gosh this happens so many times w/bullies… I haven't experienced a blockage yet, but I will tag the ones that have. Can he hold down anything? Did they do the barium x-ray yet?!! I know that Lisa always say to have that done just to check and be sure.

We have missed you here, and I'm so sorry that this is happening… you can't seem to catch a break :( Sending you lots of hugs & prayers and please keep us posted on Brutus :pray:

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
image.jpgHi sweete!!! I haven't given him anything since yesterday around 10pm I am an idiot and gave him water all day yesterday just for him to throw it up :( Today I am wondering if I should wait or give hi. Some water!

They didn't mention anything about barium?? I didn't like this ER vet at all as they just wanted to cut him open not even sure there is something he can't pass :( they want us to back for another $200 X-ray to see if they get a good result

Here is the X-ray from last night

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
View attachment 75402Hi sweete!!! I haven't given him anything since yesterday around 10pm I am an idiot and gave him water all day yesterday just for him to throw it up :( Today I am wondering if I should wait or give hi. Some water!

They didn't mention anything about barium?? I didn't like this ER vet at all as they just wanted to cut him open not even sure there is something he can't pass :( they want us to back for another $200 X-ray to see if they get a good result

Here is the X-ray from last night

I can't tell from that x-ray, but it does look like a shadow in there. Is he having diarrhea too?!! I know Monica has said that they gave her one of her dogs meds to help expel an obstruction out one time… I would insist on that barium x-ray before going into surgery. Especially if he was having seizures the last time...

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't tell from that x-ray, but it does look like a shadow in there. Is he having diarrhea too?!! I know Monica has said that they gave her one of her dogs meds to help expel an obstruction out one time… I would insist on that barium x-ray before going into surgery. Especially if he was having seizures the last time...

He hasn't tried to poop since Friday :( He also didn't eat yesterday bc of vomiting! Our vet who we trust and love isn't open until Monday so we have to go back to the bad vet we saw last night :( I am at a loss as to what to do! Do I give him a little water or some bland chicken? I feel helpless

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He hasn't tried to poop since Friday :( He also didn't eat yesterday bc of vomiting! Our vet who we trust and love isn't open until Monday so we have to go back to the bad vet we saw last night :( I am at a loss as to what to do! Do I give him a little water or some bland chicken? I feel helpless

I would say at least give him small amounts of water so he's not dehydrated, or ice chips… not pooping to me is a sign that something is blocking his intestines :( I sent a text to Christine & Lisa… I'm sorry I'm not much help on this. I would say to NOT give him food because he will just throw it up, but I've never dealt w/a blockage before.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
He just drank a little and so far he is holding it down! I really hope we can wait until our vet is open bc I am not fond of the ER vet!!! He is sleeping now!

I don't know what do to for him!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi honey! Miss you like crazy! I've also heard that vomiting can happen because of no food in the tummy. Barium is important to determine blockage. I believe it's the only way to determine a blockage for sure. I know you probably want to wait until Monday....but a blockage is serious stuff. Give that baby boy (both of them) hugs and kisses from our gang!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did the ER vet give you any advice on what to do? Like give pepto bismol? You really probably shouldn't rush into surgery if you don't know if he has a blockage yet. Especially since he had the seizure activity after the last one. I would listen to his tummy, take his temperature, offer him water only and at dinner maybe make him a small portion of bland diet or a couple of spoonfuls of canned pumpkin. Whatever is bothering him may still be in his stomach or he may have vomited it out.

It does sound like an obstruction especially if the X-rays are suspicious. Did they run any blood tests?

And so nice to see you, big hugs to all of you!!

Last edited:
OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi honey! Miss you like crazy! I've also heard that vomiting can happen because of no food in the tummy. Barium is important to determine blockage. I believe it's the only way to determine a blockage for sure. I know you probably want to wait until Monday....but a blockage is serious stuff. Give that baby boy (both of them) hugs and kisses from our gang!

Miss you guys!!! This vet seems like they just want money and don't really care :( They never even mentioned that about barium! Hubby is going to go track today for the other X-ray and I will tell them I want barium :) It looks like something is there but they aren't sure! I am so scared to do surgey unless necessary bc of what happend last time :(

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
They didn't mention pepto but they gave him Pepcid last night! He will drink but won't eat anything (totally not normal for him) I am so scared and hate the fact I can't trust this vet :( He doesn't have pain when I touch his belly and is still trying to chase the squirrels lol I am on the phone with the vet now

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my, so sorry this is happening, but it does sound serious. He definedly needs some water at least, blocked or not. I have to say that I don't know if I could wait. And I also don't trust all vets, but if there's a blockage every hour can count. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] had something like this happen, so maybe she has some advice on what to do.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Rosemarie. I'm so sorry you're going through this with Buster. I agree with Tracey, the X-ray does look like there is a shadow, it looks like the X-ray they they took of Dozer when he swallowed a sock. ( Things like socks, toilet paper, paper towel, cloths, and other soft textiles won't show up on an X-ray, it will show as a shadow. The only thing that will show these things is either a barium X-ray or a scope, but he would need to be put under anesthesia to do the procedure). Dozer was throwing up, had diarrhea, and became lethargic. I took him to the vet and they gave him IV fluids, pain medication, and a laxative to help move his bowels. After being on IV for a few hours, they sent us home with a High Fibre dog food, it was a Prescription Food from the vet. I believe it was made by Science Diet. We were told to feed him 1 Tbsp of the food every one to two hours to help move the object down. Later that night he pooped out the sock. I wouldn't give him food for right now, because he's vomiting, but I would continue to give him water, otherwise he could dehydrate. If this continues I would definitely take him back to the vets. It definitely sounds like he's swallowed something, and I hope he can pass it on his own. Crossing my fingers and toes. Sending hugs and prayers he's okay. Please keep us posted.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi. My Brutus had a partial obsrtuction that he passed on his own. He had the same thing, constant vomiting and no appetite. He did not have diarrhea so maybe that would be the last thing I would look for. Keep an eye open for lethargy. I would also try to see if he would eat boiled sirloin and rice. Maybe this will initiate a bowel movement and whatever it is will pass. Good luck. I will pray for you and Brutus.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet Roe roe... Love and miss you honey! The gang has you cover sorry i am late but i agree get the barium done -- many here had issues that dis not show up in regular xrays

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.