Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vomiting for 24 hrs can't hold down water

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Vomiting for 24 hrs can't hold down water

Hi everyone! It's been too long and I am so sorry for disappearing I have had so much crap over the last couple months! I need help and had no where else to go! We are very scared and don't know what to do!!!

Brutus has been getting I to the babies pacifiers and luckily they all came out! He also has been tearing toilet paper and everything else you can imagine!!! Well yesterday morning he started vomiting and got worse through the day At around 11 pm we decided we couldn't wait and went to ER 450$ later and we still don't know what is wrong! They did X-ray as I thought obstruction and they said it looks suspious but not guaranteed there is soemhing in there! We we're give an option for exploratory surgery to see if there is something! Not only am I broke but Brutus didn't handle his last surgery well at all and it lead to seizures

He hasn't vomited today yet but I also haven't given m water or food Please help
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vomiting for 24 hrs can't hold down water

Oh no honey, I'm so sorry to hear about Brutus!!! Gosh this happens so many times w/bullies… I haven't experienced a blockage yet, but I will tag the ones that have. Can he hold down anything? Did they do the barium x-ray yet?!! I know that Lisa always say to have that done just to check and be sure.

We have missed you here, and I'm so sorry that this is happening… you can't seem to catch a break Sending you lots of hugs & prayers and please keep us posted on Brutus

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpgHi sweete!!! I haven't given him anything since yesterday around 10pm I am an idiot and gave him water all day yesterday just for him to throw it up Today I am wondering if I should wait or give hi. Some water!

They didn't mention anything about barium?? I didn't like this ER vet at all as they just wanted to cut him open not even sure there is something he can't pass they want us to back for another $200 X-ray to see if they get a good result

Here is the X-ray from last night

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    -image-jpgHi sweete!!! I haven't given him anything since yesterday around 10pm I am an idiot and gave him water all day yesterday just for him to throw it up Today I am wondering if I should wait or give hi. Some water!

They didn't mention anything about barium?? I didn't like this ER vet at all as they just wanted to cut him open not even sure there is something he can't pass they want us to back for another $200 X-ray to see if they get a good result

Here is the X-ray from last night
    I can't tell from that x-ray, but it does look like a shadow in there. Is he having diarrhea too?!! I know Monica has said that they gave her one of her dogs meds to help expel an obstruction out one time… I would insist on that barium x-ray before going into surgery. Especially if he was having seizures the last time...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I can't tell from that x-ray, but it does look like a shadow in there. Is he having diarrhea too?!! I know Monica has said that they gave her one of her dogs meds to help expel an obstruction out one time… I would insist on that barium x-ray before going into surgery. Especially if he was having seizures the last time...
    He hasn't tried to poop since Friday He also didn't eat yesterday bc of vomiting! Our vet who we trust and love isn't open until Monday so we have to go back to the bad vet we saw last night I am at a loss as to what to do! Do I give him a little water or some bland chicken? I feel helpless

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    He hasn't tried to poop since Friday He also didn't eat yesterday bc of vomiting! Our vet who we trust and love isn't open until Monday so we have to go back to the bad vet we saw last night I am at a loss as to what to do! Do I give him a little water or some bland chicken? I feel helpless
    I would say at least give him small amounts of water so he's not dehydrated, or ice chips… not pooping to me is a sign that something is blocking his intestines I sent a text to Christine & Lisa… I'm sorry I'm not much help on this. I would say to NOT give him food because he will just throw it up, but I've never dealt w/a blockage before.

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

He just drank a little and so far he is holding it down! I really hope we can wait until our vet is open bc I am not fond of the ER vet!!! He is sleeping now!

I don't know what do to for him!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi honey! Miss you like crazy! I've also heard that vomiting can happen because of no food in the tummy. Barium is important to determine blockage. I believe it's the only way to determine a blockage for sure. I know you probably want to wait until Monday....but a blockage is serious stuff. Give that baby boy (both of them) hugs and kisses from our gang!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Vomiting for 24 hrs can't hold down water

Did the ER vet give you any advice on what to do? Like give pepto bismol? You really probably shouldn't rush into surgery if you don't know if he has a blockage yet. Especially since he had the seizure activity after the last one. I would listen to his tummy, take his temperature, offer him water only and at dinner maybe make him a small portion of bland diet or a couple of spoonfuls of canned pumpkin. Whatever is bothering him may still be in his stomach or he may have vomited it out.

It does sound like an obstruction especially if the X-rays are suspicious. Did they run any blood tests?

And so nice to see you, big hugs to all of you!!
    Last edited by bullmama; 08-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Hi honey! Miss you like crazy! I've also heard that vomiting can happen because of no food in the tummy. Barium is important to determine blockage. I believe it's the only way to determine a blockage for sure. I know you probably want to wait until Monday....but a blockage is serious stuff. Give that baby boy (both of them) hugs and kisses from our gang!
    Miss you guys!!! This vet seems like they just want money and don't really care They never even mentioned that about barium! Hubby is going to go track today for the other X-ray and I will tell them I want barium It looks like something is there but they aren't sure! I am so scared to do surgey unless necessary bc of what happend last time

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

They didn't mention pepto but they gave him Pepcid last night! He will drink but won't eat anything (totally not normal for him) I am so scared and hate the fact I can't trust this vet He doesn't have pain when I touch his belly and is still trying to chase the squirrels lol I am on the phone with the vet now

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Oh my, so sorry this is happening, but it does sound serious. He definedly needs some water at least, blocked or not. I have to say that I don't know if I could wait. And I also don't trust all vets, but if there's a blockage every hour can count. @bullmama had something like this happen, so maybe she has some advice on what to do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads