New Puppy. Diarrhea

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
We have a new puppy in our home. He was born mid April. He's been in our home for 5 days.
For the past 3 days he's had diarrhea. There has been some blood in it...small amount.
He is not on the same food as the breeder gave him. I am feeding him Fromm Puppy.
His 1st stool when we brought him home was fine. It got increasingly runny and now it
very runny.

I assumed this was the change in food but its been 3 days now. I gave him a small
dose of Pepto Bismal last night. His 1st stool this morning was much improved (not where it should be though) but now its
right back to very runny this afternoon.

We are going to the vet tomorrow for shots and 1st checkup since bringing him home. He came from a good breeder.
I'm sure the vet will prescribe something but I'd love to hear from experienced bully owners their ideas.

PS--He seems happy, active & playful.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Could be his change of scenery or coccidia (sp).This is parasites transmitted through moms milk..the vet will be able to tell you right away when you go.Congrats on your new baby...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, if after the vet clears him of having any worms or parasites ( I would bring a stool sample with you for him to check), then Rockys diarrhea can be caused from many different reasons, it could be as simple as his new surroundings, he's only been with you for 5 days, and he could just be settling in, it could be from the food change. Did you do a slow transition over two weeks or did you just do a complete change of food all at once? Changing his food too quickly will cause stomach upset and diarrhea. The food itself could be causing allergies, as Fromm's Puppy is a chicken based food. Many bullies including my own are allergic to chicken. The Fromm's foods are an excellent food, but we had to switch from the Puppy formula to Fromm's Beef Fritatta, and now we feed Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. These foods are also grain free, which many bullies are also sensitive to grains and other fillers. It can take up to a month to see any benefits or changes from a food change, as it can take that long for the old food to leave the system. Pepto Bismal is fine to use, and will help settle his tummy, and you can also add so e pure pumpkin to his kibble ( not the pumpkin pie filling) I bought my can from Ren Pet Depot. Pumpkin can help firm up loose stools, and can also be used when they are constipated, so is a good thing to keep in the house. I wouldn't worry too much about the blood in the stool, it's most likely just because he has diarrhea, and his bowel is irritated. I hope he feels better soon, and the vet and you can figure it out. Please keep us posted on what the vet says, and how Rocky is doing. Also make sure he has access to lots of fresh water to avoid dehydration caused by the diarrhea.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any chance he's getting too much food? Especially in combination with not doing a slow switch. It could take a week to get his system normal, and giving him smaller portions will help his tummy settle

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's from the change. We always suggest doing a slow change for about 7 days. Mostly their old food and gradually increasing the new food and less of the old. Give some more pepto and see what the vet gives you. He should also check for parasites too just to rule that out. FROMM Puppy gold is a good food, that is what we feed our pups and suggest people to leave them on that until they are about 7 months old, then switch to the FROMM 4 star grain free adult.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN....... seems like it could e the food change if you did not do a slow transition. Also, you can use a little pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to help firm up the :poo:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Curios as to how Rocky is doing and :hiii::welcome:to EBN hope you found the answers and all is well look forward to seeing some pics and hearing some stories about your new baby.

OP
H

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Rocky is doing fine. He is on a bland diet of chicken, rice & pumpkin per the vet's suggestion. Shocked at how quickly his stools improved. He was born mid April and weighed yesterday at 25 lbs. Sounds about right don't you think?
10547774_10204534566226891_393278270148363911_o.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rocky is doing fine. He is on a bland diet of chicken, rice & pumpkin per the vet's suggestion. Shocked at how quickly his stools improved. He was born mid April and weighed yesterday at 25 lbs. Sounds about right don't you think?
10547774_10204534566226891_393278270148363911_o.jpg

What at a beauty he is.... Love that freckled ear!!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
so glad to hear he is doing better and what a beautiful bully he is. Weight sounds perfect, Give him a scratch from us and love each other fiercely

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Rocky is Beautiful Baby Bully, I am so glad he is doing Better now. Love to Rocky.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.