JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I went to give Sally her eye drops tonight and when I touched her chin and jerked away from me and she never does that. When I looked to see why I noticed a large section (more than half) of her chin is quite swollen. I'm not sure what could have caused this to my sweet angel. I'll call her vet tomorrow and in the meantime I gave her 1 baby aspirin. It could be tooth related (she had all that dental work done before we rescued her) or she's hit in on something and I didn't see what she did. :(

Here's a couple of pics but it's hard to really see the swelling since she's sleeping.

image.jpgimage.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor sweet Sally. I hope she feels better soon and it's nothing serious. Give her lots of kisses

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh no... I hope Sally feels better soon. Keep us posted...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my, that does look very swollen poor baby!

Rosco

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco Pico Train Elkins
Poor Sally! If the irritation continues before you can speak with the vet, try to see if a cold washcloth will help ease it. She might not like it, and if so, you may want to try wrapping a bit of ice in a paper towel. I hope she gets better! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet angel, tippy tongue .... I so hope it is nothing and she just bumped her chin playing. Is it hard or soft, can you tell?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm taking Sally in at 8:30 this morning. The swelling's gone down considerable except for an isolated area right under her canine tooth. @2bullymamma the swelling is firm, not soft, not rock solid. Poor thing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm taking Sally in at 8:30 this morning. The swelling's gone down considerable except for an isolated area right under her canine tooth. @2bullymamma the swelling is firm, not soft, not rock solid. Poor thing.

wonder if it is an abcess... it there any swelling in her mouth?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We hope she was not bitten by any reptile. The chin/mug is usually the first place. We hope she heals fast.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She may have been bitten by a spider, or stung by a wasp. There are more than ever this summer. Hope all will be well, and it is on the mend.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Swollen & painful chin - Sally

She may have been bitten by a spider, or stung by a wasp. There are more than ever this summer. Hope all will be well, and it is on the mend.

Back from the vet and that's the first thing he thought too. Because she has some very red gums in that area, he gave her a prescription of Clavamox for 7 days for gum/tissue infection. He's having me follow up that with Benadyrl twice a day just in case it was a bee sting. I've seen my share of yellow jackets/hornets recently so I'm guessing the way it came on so fast that it's a sting. He ruled out any fracture/break thank goodness.

Thanks everyone. I feel much better now. :whew:

- - - Updated - - -

wonder if it is an abcess... it there any swelling in her mouth?
All's good in the tooth section. :)

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We hope she was not bitten by any reptile. The chin/mug is usually the first place. We hope she heals fast.
Thank goodness that wasn't it, but that was a very good thought too. We have our occasional snake from time to time in the yard, mostly garders.

Most Reactions