Are these issues connected?

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Hi yall. Have a couple of health questions if I may, for my Lily.

We allowed a family friend to watch Lily for us when we went on vacation, to keep from boarding her in a kennel. The friends love her, and treat her like she was their own. Problem is they had a cat, and Lily came back with fleas. I've never had an issue with fleas on my dogs because they are on a garlic yeast pill regimen. Either way, the yeast didn't work this time and she had fleas.

We called the vet, but they were overbooked and we couldn't get her in right away. While we waited on an appointment, we gave her a bath in Dawn and that didn't work. That didn't work. The next morning, we woke up and she had sores on her. We called the vet and said that we were going to drive down there and wait 'til they could work her in, because she was breaking out in sores.

So they took her in and said that the scratching from the fleas caused a bacterial infection. They put her on antibiotics, and also gave us a medicated shampoo for the sores. We also bypassed our regular yeast pill regimen and put her on the once a month flea treatment.

OK. We get her home and by day 2, she is pooping, like alot. Now the vet told me that the antibiotics might affect her stomach, so we figured that was part of it. By day 3, she is pooping like 10 or 12 times a day. Again, we figured it was normal and just went on with it for a couple more days. Well it didn't get any better so we called the vet and asked them if she had to take ALL the antibiotics, because Lily was pooping so much, and we didn't think it was healthy for her.

They told us to stop giving her the antibiotics, so we did. It has only been about a day and a half, so I don't think the antibiotics are out of her system yet, and she's still pooping alot. For instance, last night, she pooped for like 5 minutes, and kept repositioning herself to poop more. She's a prima donna and hates going out in the rain, but she was out there all this time, in a torrential downpour, pooping like this.

Also - the poop is small. I hate to be gross here, but her poop is normally about the size of a cigar. Now it's the size of a pencil.

Now - she seems to either be in heat, or be getting ready to go into heat, because her vulva is very swollen. I have read on here that heat causes peeing and pooping issues, but to this degree? She hasn't had any other issues, other than the weird pooping. She seems healthy, and loves to run and play. It's just weird, with the poop.

Oh, and she has an odor. The vet said it was from the bacterial infection, but that is pretty much gone, and the odor only comes when she rolls over. Could it be from the medicated shampoo? From her being in heat?

Any ideas?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh boy… poor baby, she has a lot going on!!!

First of all YES going to heat can cause her to poop a lot, it may even become loose. This is to be expected, and yes her vulva will become swollen and red. She also may sleep more and become irritable and cranky… Antibiotics can make her poop more as well. I would make sure to give her a probiotic (we use fat-free plain greek yogurt). You can give her pure pumpkin to help firm things up, NOT the pie filling. I would give her just a teaspoon at first to see if her stomach can handle it. Did they give you anything to take care of the fleas?!! We use Frontline or Advantix to deal w/fleas in our area.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would be giving her some plain active culture yogurt,to replace the good bacteria as the meds kill the good bacteria in the gut.You can give it alone, or on her food. One or two tbsp every day. When they are in heat, they do get an odor, that is how the males from "afar' can find them, by scent. If her vulva is very swollen, then she probably has been in heat for at least a week. Do not let her outside alone!

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Thanks, guys. Yeah at the vet there were a couple of male dogs were going nuts when we were there. :lol: Thankfully we have a fenced in back yard. I'm just surprised - I thought the scent that the female gave off was only noticed by male dogs. I didn't realize it was so strong that we could smell it, too. Man, I can deal with her farts or anything - not this! LOL

I do actually have a quart of yogurt in he fridge. I'll go give her a couple of spoons.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tracy and Lynn...gave you great info... My girl gets the runs whenever she is on antibiotics too, pumpkin helps firm it up.
We use Sentential and Vectra 3D for fleas

good luck... Hope she is better soon.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Lily is so Beautiful, Prayers are coming your way for your Sweet Girl, Give her Kisses and Hugs from me and Elmo.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.