Help Needed! pemphigus

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
My 8 year old bulldog has been treated for allergies for 2 years. The vet was never sure what the allergy was so we went through numerous visits and medications. I decided to see another vet since we were not making any progress. My dog was getting worse-itiching, red raw spots all over her body with blisters and red bumps. This vet sent me to a dermatologists who diagnosed her with an autoimmune disease called pemphigus. She is prednisone for a limited time and atopica. For a short while she was getting better- no more raw bald spots, no more crusty ears, no more shedding. But now after about a week of looking normal she is starting up again. Has anyone else dealt with this disease? I am at my breaking point!! Mentally and financially.:(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have no experience with this-but it is an auto immune disease, that may be genetic, but not necessarily close up in pedigree. They should not be out in the sun for much time, which is not good for a bulldog anyway. It is something very difficult to manage, and I am sorry that I have nothing encouraging for you. It will be ongoing, and probably take just trying meds that might help control it. So sorry to hear about your poor baby-and you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... I have never heard of this, but just read up on it via PetMd... did your vet say which of the four types Sopiebell has?

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
I have a cat with this disease. The problem with it, it seems like as soon as its under controll it's flairing again.
We have a permanent script for prednisone and antibiotics that we give ONLY when needed, but I have had some success with finding the right food to help boost her immune system. Most foods cause terrible breakouts but Blue with immune boosting bits has helped a lot. Winters tend to be much worse than summer for her so she's has a lot of ups and downs. I keep the crust cleaned on the feet and ears daily with moist warm cloth and apply neosporin or other safe ointments.

Pootie Cakes has been living with this for 5 years now and she still has a happy life. I'm sorry your going through this, I know it's very scary, but with a good doctor And extra care I'd bet your pup will be just fine.

good luck Nina

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.