Help Needed! Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Demodectic mange is common in young dogs as their immune system are still developing, these mites are naturally passed to pup from mother at birth and they never usually cause an issue unless something triggers a breakout such as a new environment, duke started to have a breakout at about 6months , I never figured out the trigger but he had a scraping and did a 30 day treatment of ivermectin which cleared it right up- the dips and shampoos can be very harsh for a young dog. I also suggest you add a probiotic and salmon oil to his food if you don't already.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Demodectic mange is common in young dogs as their immune system are still developing, these mites are naturally passed to pup from mother at birth and they never usually cause an issue unless something triggers a breakout such as a new environment, duke started to have a breakout at about 6months , I never figured out the trigger but he had a scraping and did a 30 day treatment of ivermectin which cleared it right up- the dips and shampoos can be very harsh for a young dog. I also suggest you add a probiotic and salmon oil to his food if you don't already.

Thanks for your input… my vet suggested to delay the dips for now he believes it's localized so we just have a benzoyl peroxide shampoo to use once a week and on the spots. I give him greek yogurt, but I haven't started w/salmon oil yet… I will order some today!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
From what I understand mange is an immune system response, and the #1 cause of a lowered immune system is stress. Think about it from Wally's point of view, all the changes that has been going on lately in his life and routine. Bulldogs are the worst when it comes to disturbing that fine balance if their daily routine! Daddy came home, you went on vacation..... And although Wally was very happy with daddy coming home and having playmates for the week even excited and happy stress is stress. His world has been rocked the past month.

His diet is great, but you could probably add an oil to it, oils are so good for the skin.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
From what I understand mange is an immune system response, and the #1 cause of a lowered immune system is stress. Think about it from Wally's point of view, all the changes that has been going on lately in his life and routine. Bulldogs are the worst when it comes to disturbing that fine balance if their daily routine! Daddy came home, you went on vacation..... And although Wally was very happy with daddy coming home and having playmates for the week even excited and happy stress is stress. His world has been rocked the past month.

His diet is great, but you could probably add an oil to it, oils are so good for the skin.

I have some coconut oil already… should I just use that instead of getting the salmon oil?!! I had gotten salmon oil before, but the dogs didn't seem to like the taste of it.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Poor little Walter :( Mayhem had demodectic mange when he was young. The vet prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that was administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). After just a couple of weeks the fur started growing back. We have no other signs of the mange since his treatment.

:hug: I know it sounds gross, but it really wasn't that bad and Mayhem was back to normal quickly :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor little Walter :( Mayhem had demodectic mange when he was young. The vet prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that was administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). After just a couple of weeks the fur started growing back. We have no other signs of the mange since his treatment.

:hug: I know it sounds gross, but it really wasn't that bad and Mayhem was back to normal quickly :)

Thanks Cyndi… I'm really surprised how many bullies have had this, we have never dealt w/this before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have some coconut oil already… should I just use that instead of getting the salmon oil?!! I had gotten salmon oil before, but the dogs didn't seem to like the taste of it.

Sure! I'm using coconut right now and my kids really love it, plus it seems to help with their breath lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@ddnene Demodex is on every dog. As others have said, it's when the immune system is low or the dog is stressed, that it can show it's ugly head. Don't fret, it will pass with the shampoo and antibiotics. I read an interesting article yesterday about the benefits of vitamin C in dogs. For dogs that do have a lot of stress in their lives or have been sick lately, they recommend giving extra vitamin C. Sodium Ascorbate is the best one to give dogs, as it is easily absorbed by the body. Start out slow, as it can cause diarrhea until their system get used to it. Then for skin allergies for a medium size dog give up to 750 mg. twice daily. If the diarrhea comes back on the higher dose, just back the dosage down until the stools get normal.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene Demodex is on every dog. As others have said, it's when the immune system is low or the dog is stressed, that it can show it's ugly head. Don't fret, it will pass with the shampoo and antibiotics. I read an interesting article yesterday about the benefits of vitamin C in dogs. For dogs that do have a lot of stress in their lives or have been sick lately, they recommend giving extra vitamin C. Sodium Ascorbate is the best one to give dogs, as it is easily absorbed by the body. Start out slow, as it can cause diarrhea until their system get used to it. Then for skin allergies for a medium size dog give up to 750 mg. twice daily. If the diarrhea comes back on the higher dose, just back the dosage down until the stools get normal.

Thanks for the info David, I will have to try that w/Walter ;)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I thought I would post an update on Walter's mange...

We've been doing the antibiotics, weekly baths and putting rub on his spots. Now it looks like he has another spot coming :( UGH… I just can't seem to win… :gloom:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh no:( How long have you been treating him now? I think I read somewhere it will take about a month before you'll see results of the treatment. Hope you'll get rid of it sooner than later:hug:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no:( How long have you been treating him now? I think I read somewhere it will take about a month before you'll see results of the treatment. Hope you'll get rid of it sooner than later:hug:

It will be 2 weeks on Thurs, he has a check-up w/the vet. I was just hoping to NOT see anymore spots...

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Sorry your going though this Tracey, was thinking of Walter yesterday that I need to ask how he is.I hope you are doing ok with all of this.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.