Help Needed! Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got back from the vet… he did 2 scrapes one on each spots. Demodex mange, I honestly can't believe it :( Dr. Lewis believes this is localized NOT generalized and w/aggressive treatment we can stop this from spreading. He gave us a benzoyl peroxide shampoo, goodwinol ointment, rilexine 600mg (antibiotic) and wants me to use advantage multi for his parasite treatment. We discussed the fact that because Wally had that puppy strangles a couple months ago that his immune system may not be working properly. I feed him Fromm's Puppy Gold (switching to the Beef Fromm's soon) greek yogurt, and NuVet supplements. If anybody has any suggestions on boosting his immune system more, I'm all ears...

I'm very worried about my baby boy :*( I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now…

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I have a friend who has a French Bulldog. Her dog was diagnosed with Demodex when she was about 6 mos. old. She has gotten a shot of Ivermectin at the vet's once every month. I am not sure if anything else is added to the shot, but I think it's just the Ivermectin. She is 7 years old, and has had no problems with it all these years. I could find out for you-and the dosage-if you need.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene I have a friend who has a French Bulldog. Her dog was diagnosed with Demodex when she was about 6 mos. old. She has gotten a shot of Ivermectin at the vet's once every month. I am not sure if anything else is added to the shot, but I think it's just the Ivermectin. She is 7 years old, and has had no problems with it all these years. I could find out for you-and the dosage-if you need.

Thanks Lynn… the vet mentioned that this was used for the long term management of mange. As of right now we don't know if Walter's is going to be general of it's it localized...

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Tracey I am so sorry this is now happening oh boy you have had more than your share to last you a lifetime. I hope you get it all under control sending a big :hug: to you

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My Romeo had demodectic mange pretty bad when we first brought him home image.jpg My vet thought I was crazy for bringing home this puppy that had so many problems..his got worse before it got better..he would scratch so hard that he would tear his skin open..his whole neck was matted with scabs..he was put on ivermectin orally for almost 8 months until his scrapings came up clear..he was a mess!! He is 3 now and it hasn't come back but I still worry about it..hopefully you caught it in time and it clears up quickly..I think with Romeo it got so bad because of stress..he had just gotten nuetered and had a double cherry eye surgery and then his eyes were both infected and he had fleas and worms then add that to the stress of going to a new home with another bulldog that wasn't that happy to see him..but he is happy and healthy now!!image.jpg I give them fish oil capsules, and melatonin every day and also yogurt in the am and coconut oil in the pm..and they are on a grain free diet..I have been thinking about trying nu vet..but I just changed their food again so I will wait to see how they are doing before I try anything else

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 147
OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=11611]Julzz9170[/MENTION]

Thank you for sharing your story… I'm so sorry to hear about your baby Romeo, but I'm glad that he's doing well now. Both of your babies are adorable… did you rescue Romeo?!!

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
No [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] my husband found him in the local classifieds..when we went to see him it was such a set up..there were bulldogs coming out from under trucks and behind bushes on this farm..it was like a puppy mill/ backyard breeder..she had 6 female adults and Romeo was the last puppy from a litter of 12 but he had cherry eye so she couldn't sell him until he was old enough to get surgery..she basically gave him to us because she didn't want to put out anymore money..my vet refused to treat him until I went home and discussed the treatment with my husband because of how expensive it was going to be..the vet later told me he thought I was going to cry at that appt but he was glad we decided to keep him..there was no way I could have taken him back to that place and he has turned out to be such a good dog.we love him so much!! The girl also had a barn full of poodles and jack Russell's..it was a sad place and I reported her to all of the local agencies but as long as she is providing food and shelter they cannot do anything apparently..she has a Facebook business page and I go on every once in awhile and write comments but she deletes them right away

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tracey, Julie and others have given you great advice.

I have just discovered Kelp is another great supplement for dogs, and it has many benefits, one of which is increased immune function.

Benefits of Kelp

Kelp is a recognized food supplement for humans. Now vets and advocates of an holistic approach to pet health recommend it for dogs and other animals. This seaweed is rich in natural salts and minerals, and it has a number of benefits for your dog's health.

Natural Dog Arthritis Fix

Thyroid, Adrenal and Pituitary Glands

Kelp is known for being iodine-rich. Thyroid problems are often associated with an iodine deficiency, and kelp as a natural source of iodine is a long-standing medical treatment for people with thyroid problems. The rich mix of iodine and other minerals in kelp makes it an ideal supplement to keep your pup's entire glandular system, particularly the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands, in healthy working order. This in turn ensures your dog's metabolism works efficiently, which is an important element in maintaining a healthy weight. If your pet has hypothyroidism, where the thyroid function slows down, kelp is recommended as a supplement to the standard thyroxine treatment usually prescribed by vets.

Allergies and Fleas

Anything which helps flea control is good news for dog owners. Diane Stein, in her book "The Natural Remedy Book for Dogs and Cats," says after three weeks of kelp supplementation there is a noticeable reduction in fleas on animals who have an infestation. This suggests that kelp repulses fleas and that using the supplement regularly is a useful addition to chemical flea treatments. Kelp also reduces itchiness in those dogs with skin allergies and improves the overall condition of your dog's skin and coat.

General Health

Kelp also supports many of your dog's other body functions. It cleanses the digestive system and keeps its juices balanced. Because it is high in iron it fortifies the blood, which then helps the heart to pump more efficiently. In older dogs especially it is recommended for strengthening the immune system, which can protect them from a range of diseases. Also, dogs on kelp supplements are thought to heal faster from surgery, because the amino acids in the seaweed support tissue repair. And it could help you and your dog to live longer. The Japanese have long maintained that eating seaweed is a source of their longevity.

Dosage

In her book "The Pet Lover's Guide to Natural Healing for Cats and Dogs," Barbara Fougere warns that levels of iodine in kelp are not always consistent. Too much iodine can give your dog iodine toxicity with symptoms such as watery eyes and nose, stomach upsets and lethargy. She says that kelp must be given in measured doses and not freely added to your dog's food. The dosage should be according to your dog's size. Maximum daily doses by size are 1/4 teaspoon for small dogs, 1/2 teaspoon for medium-sized dogs and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Avoid kelp harvested along the U.S. coastline as it probably contaminated with industrial pollutants. Deep ocean kelp and Norwegian kelp are considered the best sources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Kelp Is Great for Your Dog

Kelp has been touted as a highly beneficial supplement for humans for some time. It contains lots of vitamins and minerals, some of which are hard to get from other sources. But did you know that kelp has numerous benefits for dogs as well.
Feeding your dog kelp on a regular basis can do great things for his health. Here are some of the benefits you can expect to see:

Shinier coat and softer, healthier skin

Better digestion

Increased immune function, which means less sickness and quicker healing from injuries

Greater milk production in lactating females

Healthier puppies born to parents that were given kelp

Kelp is especially beneficial for glandular health. This results in greater balance throughout the dog’s system, as well as less incidence of hyperthyroidism and other glandular disorders. The thyroid and pituitary glands directly affect digestion, so this explains in part why dogs that eat kelp digest their food and absorb nutrients better. They have a more efficient metabolism, too.

Dogs also need plenty of fiber to keep their digestive systems in check, and kelp is a great source of fiber. This keeps the digestive tract clean and helps prevent absorption of toxic metals. A diet high in fiber also helps fight inflammation, rheumatism, and the development and growth of tumors.

Puppies can benefit greatly from kelp as well. It contains many of the things they need to grow up healthy and strong. Kelp given to reproducing dogs will make birthing easier and result in better health and increased survival rates for their puppies.

Kelp contains over 100 nutrients that your dog needs. It is a wonderful source of trace minerals, including iodine, magnesium, zinc, copper, gold, cobalt, and selenium. Also found in kelp are high levels of B vitamins, as well as Vitamin E and C. In addition to these vitamins and minerals, kelp is also rich in amino acids.

The easiest way to include kelp in your dog’s diet is to give him food that contains it each day. Kelp is also available in dried form, which preserves its nutritional benefits very well. There are also a number of kelp supplements in various forms on the market, but these vary in effectiveness.

Kelp has been called a miracle plant due to its outstanding nutritional value and ability to balance the human system. Including it in your dog’s diet on a regular basis can improve his overall health and help treat a number of existing health problems. Whether included as an ingredient in your dog’s food or given as a supplement, kelp is one of the best things you can give your best friend

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas had this about a year ago, first of all it made me feel dirty, LOL, until I posted and found it to be quite normal. I did the same exact thing as your vet told you to do and that's when I started the NuVet. Thank goodness it stayed localized and did not spread!! I had to bath him 3x a week with the special shampoo, antibiotics etc. His was on his left thigh. Hopefully you got it early as I did and will get rid of it soon, I am thinking within 2 weeks his was pretty much gone. He did have bald spots for a while. Your doing the right thing good mama!!!! I was worried too, but it passed pretty quickly. And NO it has NOTHING to do with being dirty, LOL. I was afraid that's what everyone would think. I am very clean and was just shocked :w00t: when my vet told me he had mange!!

Oh and P.S. the antibiotic did give him the runs/gas, so be watching for that, I called the vet and he said very normal, since he was on such a high dose.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas had this about a year ago, first of all it made me feel dirty, LOL, until I posted and found it to be quite normal. I did the same exact thing as your vet told you to do and that's when I started the NuVet. Thank goodness it stayed localized and did not spread!! I had to bath him 3x a week with the special shampoo, antibiotics etc. His was on his left thigh. Hopefully you got it early as I did and will get rid of it soon, I am thinking within 2 weeks his was pretty much gone. He did have bald spots for a while. Your doing the right thing good mama!!!! I was worried too, but it passed pretty quickly. And NO it has NOTHING to do with being dirty, LOL. I was afraid that's what everyone would think. I am very clean and was just shocked :w00t: when my vet told me he had mange!!

Oh and P.S. the antibiotic did give him the runs/gas, so be watching for that, I called the vet and he said very normal, since he was on such a high dose.

Oh Thanks Kelly… I almost had a stroke this morning, I thought it was just going to be a HOT SPOT!!! Lol Mange DOES sound dirty, and of course I was worried that Roxie or Charlie were going to get it. Luckily it will just be Mr. Wally...

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im sorry he got it but am happy the vet identified it and is starting treatment. Poor little Wally, I hope it goes away soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I so hope this clears up quick.... I have no experience with either

:hug:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Aww, poor Wally. I hope he feels better soon. Hopefully you caught it early.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys… we gave him a bath yesterday, and started the meds. I just pray that it doesn't spread and he has to do dips… it NEVER frigging ends!!! :begging:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online