Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    @ddnene Demodex is on every dog. As others have said, it's when the immune system is low or the dog is stressed, that it can show it's ugly head. Don't fret, it will pass with the shampoo and antibiotics. I read an interesting article yesterday about the benefits of vitamin C in dogs. For dogs that do have a lot of stress in their lives or have been sick lately, they recommend giving extra vitamin C. Sodium Ascorbate is the best one to give dogs, as it is easily absorbed by the body. Start out slow, as it can cause diarrhea until their system get used to it. Then for skin allergies for a medium size dog give up to 750 mg. twice daily. If the diarrhea comes back on the higher dose, just back the dosage down until the stools get normal.
    Thanks for the info David, I will have to try that w/Walter

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Tracey, I will Pray for Walter to get all better. Love You Tracey and Walter.

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Well I thought I would post an update on Walter's mange...

We've been doing the antibiotics, weekly baths and putting rub on his spots. Now it looks like he has another spot coming UGH… I just can't seem to win…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Oh no How long have you been treating him now? I think I read somewhere it will take about a month before you'll see results of the treatment. Hope you'll get rid of it sooner than later
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Oh no How long have you been treating him now? I think I read somewhere it will take about a month before you'll see results of the treatment. Hope you'll get rid of it sooner than later
    It will be 2 weeks on Thurs, he has a check-up w/the vet. I was just hoping to NOT see anymore spots...

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)

Sorry your going though this Tracey, was thinking of Walter yesterday that I need to ask how he is.I hope you are doing ok with all of this.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Ja of course, I totally get that new spots makes you feel down I think it will all be fine though, it hasn't been long since you started the treatment so I'm sure things are normal and right on track
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Tracey, @ddnene Go to the feed store -or order online. NuStock will give money back if it does not cure mange. I have used it for many things!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maruko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Well I thought I would post an update on Walter's mange...

We've been doing the antibiotics, weekly baths and putting rub on his spots. Now it looks like he has another spot coming UGH… I just can't seem to win…

Maruko had Mange when she was about 4 mos old. It stayed localized, but the vet prescribed three rounds of Ivermectin taking orally. It took us about two months to finally see good result. It's a long fighting process for Demodex Mange, but it will get better! I have done some researches when she had mange, and read that Ivermectin is the best medicine that really helps mange, if the situation is not bad enough, avoid dips or medicated bath because it could actually hurt their delicate skins and lower their immune system. Our vet never supported us to bath her with benzoyl peroxide, it will make their skin really dry. I insisted to use them as I read good results online, so I was recommended to bath her with regular shampoo and use medicated shampoo in between.

I still remember how worried I was and everyday I would google all kinds of articles about mange, but my vet was very confident that he will get this problem under controlled by just Ivermectin, and it did! I used Douxo pad to clean the bold and red area for Maruko everyday and kept the area clean and dry at all times. Try to make Walter to ignore these spots to avoid secondary infection.

I started to give her Nuvet when mange was found, also took her out more for exercising and getting some sunlight everyday, but avoided getting in contact with grass except potty time. We kept her happy and avoided stressed situations. I also started adding fish oil to her food.

I hope Walter gets better soon, dealing with mange is very stressful! Good luck!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole

Nice to meet everyone! Wanna see more pictures of me? --> Please check out them @missmarukojiang via Instagram : ]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads