Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone familiar w/Demodex Mange?!! Walter was just diagnosed...

I so hope this clears up quick.... I have no experience with either

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Aww, poor Wally. I hope he feels better soon. Hopefully you caught it early.
    My smooshy face boy!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys… we gave him a bath yesterday, and started the meds. I just pray that it doesn't spread and he has to do dips… it NEVER frigging ends!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Demodectic mange is common in young dogs as their immune system are still developing, these mites are naturally passed to pup from mother at birth and they never usually cause an issue unless something triggers a breakout such as a new environment, duke started to have a breakout at about 6months , I never figured out the trigger but he had a scraping and did a 30 day treatment of ivermectin which cleared it right up- the dips and shampoos can be very harsh for a young dog. I also suggest you add a probiotic and salmon oil to his food if you don't already.

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Demodectic mange is common in young dogs as their immune system are still developing, these mites are naturally passed to pup from mother at birth and they never usually cause an issue unless something triggers a breakout such as a new environment, duke started to have a breakout at about 6months , I never figured out the trigger but he had a scraping and did a 30 day treatment of ivermectin which cleared it right up- the dips and shampoos can be very harsh for a young dog. I also suggest you add a probiotic and salmon oil to his food if you don't already.
    Thanks for your input… my vet suggested to delay the dips for now he believes it's localized so we just have a benzoyl peroxide shampoo to use once a week and on the spots. I give him greek yogurt, but I haven't started w/salmon oil yet… I will order some today!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

From what I understand mange is an immune system response, and the #1 cause of a lowered immune system is stress. Think about it from Wally's point of view, all the changes that has been going on lately in his life and routine. Bulldogs are the worst when it comes to disturbing that fine balance if their daily routine! Daddy came home, you went on vacation..... And although Wally was very happy with daddy coming home and having playmates for the week even excited and happy stress is stress. His world has been rocked the past month.

His diet is great, but you could probably add an oil to it, oils are so good for the skin.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    From what I understand mange is an immune system response, and the #1 cause of a lowered immune system is stress. Think about it from Wally's point of view, all the changes that has been going on lately in his life and routine. Bulldogs are the worst when it comes to disturbing that fine balance if their daily routine! Daddy came home, you went on vacation..... And although Wally was very happy with daddy coming home and having playmates for the week even excited and happy stress is stress. His world has been rocked the past month.

His diet is great, but you could probably add an oil to it, oils are so good for the skin.
    I have some coconut oil already… should I just use that instead of getting the salmon oil?!! I had gotten salmon oil before, but the dogs didn't seem to like the taste of it.

Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

Poor little Walter Mayhem had demodectic mange when he was young. The vet prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that was administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). After just a couple of weeks the fur started growing back. We have no other signs of the mange since his treatment.

I know it sounds gross, but it really wasn't that bad and Mayhem was back to normal quickly

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan4life View Post
    Poor little Walter Mayhem had demodectic mange when he was young. The vet prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that was administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). After just a couple of weeks the fur started growing back. We have no other signs of the mange since his treatment.

I know it sounds gross, but it really wasn't that bad and Mayhem was back to normal quickly
    Thanks Cyndi… I'm really surprised how many bullies have had this, we have never dealt w/this before.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I have some coconut oil already… should I just use that instead of getting the salmon oil?!! I had gotten salmon oil before, but the dogs didn't seem to like the taste of it.
    Sure! I'm using coconut right now and my kids really love it, plus it seems to help with their breath lol

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Aww, what a mission I hope he gets better real quick<3 Good thing it was caught early, you're such a good mom
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@ddnene Demodex is on every dog. As others have said, it's when the immune system is low or the dog is stressed, that it can show it's ugly head. Don't fret, it will pass with the shampoo and antibiotics. I read an interesting article yesterday about the benefits of vitamin C in dogs. For dogs that do have a lot of stress in their lives or have been sick lately, they recommend giving extra vitamin C. Sodium Ascorbate is the best one to give dogs, as it is easily absorbed by the body. Start out slow, as it can cause diarrhea until their system get used to it. Then for skin allergies for a medium size dog give up to 750 mg. twice daily. If the diarrhea comes back on the higher dose, just back the dosage down until the stools get normal.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads