General Question Neutering or not? And what age?

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Sorry I have read through the other threads about this. And didn't want to hijack someone else's thread. I rescued a male Bulldog last Friday and one of the stipulations was he needed to be clipped So I made him a appointment for tomorrow.. But after reading I'm having second thoughts. I have him set up for obedience classes starting the 16th so wanted to get it done ASAP.. He is 9 months and the breeder kept him crated 95% of the time cause she wasn't gonna use him cause his tail was a little to long.. Makes me sick. He is raging with hormones when I brought him home a week ago I couldn't get him to go through doorways he was skittish of everything. I have worked very hard with him for the last 6 days and he is making major improvement he is now walking on lead going in and out of the house with no issues and has only had one accident in the house my fault he told me he had to go. But i was cooking dinner and waited a little to long. Anyway I'm just not sure what to do..

I had bought a male from this breeder back in 07 to breed with a female I had purchased in 05 paid big money for her came from Ch sire and dam bloodlines.. She ended up being dog aggressive and killed my pug one day when my 15 yo kid was home with them. I never understood why cause she wasn't always like that. She just changed one day..

punejuqa.jpg

Long story short I have always blamed myself for this incident.. But needless to say I did not ever breed her and placed the male with my brother dew to the fact she would attack him.. My Panda passed away April 10th from cancer and I swore I wouldn't own another Bulldog again.. Not because I dont love them but because having to put her down almost killed me. And 8 years wasn't long enough... Sorry for babbling and getting off topic but wanted to give a little history on me and bullie experience.

Then this breeder called me and asked if I could take her male I was very reluctant but new from previous experience that her dogs were breed well.. Well when I got there and saw the dog I couldn't leave him. I don't know what the hell she was thinking but I couldn't believe she could keep him crated like that and had to take him..

The problem well not really a problem but I had already purchased another pug she is only 16 weeks old. Like I said had no intention on owning another dog other than her especially not a Bulldog.. I have since I got him let my fiance take my pug for the time being while I work with him and get him trained..

One last question I feed blue wilderness is this kibble top shelf for my Bulldog?

I could really use any advice and suggestions from very knowledgeable people on this forum..

Thanks so much..

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Greetings phishphan,

First, i can relate to your pups being in a crate 95% of the time. Bentley was as well 100% of the time for 8 months until my wife and i essentially rescued him. We have now had him 5 weeks and is still a work in progress. He was afraid to go out in the dark and stayed by the sliding glass door where he hunkered down in the light from the family room. i had to carry him out in the yard for him to do his business. This issue has been resolved. Bentley did not know what a toy or treat was. Loud sounds frightens him (espeically thunderstorms). And he does not eat from his bowl until last night which surprised the heck out of the wife and I. We now have him sitting and laying down on command. I could go on but I wanted to share this with you. As I mentioned, Bentley is a work in progress. We love him very much and he knows this and we are very patient with him.

Second, the link below is to the ASPCA on neutering. I hope this helps. In addition, you will find much information on this website on the home page links to information. Further, I have found members of this forum will chime in on discussions.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/how-will-neutering-change-my-dog

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Ty for quick reply.. I will read that on my lunch HR. Tyson has made huge improvements I mean I can't express how well he has changed. Last night a guy from my church brought his male Bulldog with him when stopped by to give me some things. Didn't realize I had took on another Bulldog cause like I said I had no plans on doing so. But anyway his dog is 4 and very well mannered and docile so we decided to let them meet and Tyson was so good with him just wagged his tail a 100mph and sniffed and licked on him. It was very reassuring to see his temperament a little with another dog.. I'm sure he is gonna turn out wonderful he plays fetch with me and does allot stuff he is not used too. Gaining confidence daily. About the only thing that hasn't changed is he won't really relax till I crate him up at night.. But he is definitely a work in progress just got him signed up for obedience manners 1 class and am not gonna introduce the pug till he is complete and gonna do it very slowly. My fiance does stay with me on the weekends so we are just gonna keep them separated and rub some towels on both dogs and put in the rooms with each of them and let them smell each other under the door. Just so we can start the process of Introduction.. The hardest part is for my fiance to understand that Tyson needs to be addressed first since he will be pack leader.. She wants to do like so many people do and love in the little girl first. Not good but she is learning as well. I'm trying to explain to her that dogs are not humans and there is a hierarchy that needs to be followed.. Again sorry for babbling I love to talk.. Again thanks for your response..

Here a few pics of Tyson

a7e7yhar.jpg

mu3aty8e.jpg

7ytyty6y.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Ty for quick reply.. I will read that on my lunch HR. Tyson has made huge improvements I mean I can't express how well he has changed. Last night a guy from my church brought his male Bulldog with him when stopped by to give me some things. Didn't realize I had took on another Bulldog cause like I said I had no plans on doing so. But anyway his dog is 4 and very well mannered and docile so we decided to let them meet and Tyson was so good with him just wagged his tail a 100mph and sniffed and licked on him. It was very reassuring to see his temperament a little with another dog.. I'm sure he is gonna turn out wonderful he plays fetch with me and does allot stuff he is not used too. Gaining confidence daily. About the only thing that hasn't changed is he won't really relax till I crate him up at night.. But he is definitely a work in progress just got him signed up for obedience manners 1 class and am not gonna introduce the pug till he is complete and gonna do it very slowly. My fiance does stay with me on the weekends so we are just gonna keep them separated and rub some towels on both dogs and put in the rooms with each of them and let them smell each other under the door. Just so we can start the process of Introduction.. The hardest part is for my fiance to understand that Tyson needs to be addressed first since he will be pack leader.. She wants to do like so many people do and love in the little girl first. Not good but she is learning as well. I'm trying to explain to her that dogs are not humans and there is a hierarchy that needs to be followed.. Again sorry for babbling I love to talk.. Again thanks for your response..

Tyson is a handsome young bully.

As far as dog food is concerned...please check this link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings . Also see the forum on nutrition http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?97-English-Bulldog-Dog-Food-and-Nutrition

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Ok TY will do.. Sorry I haven't had time to explore this site. Just joined today and am at work. But i will definitely be reading up tonight and this weekend..

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Well atleast I know I'm feeding a 6 star food. I did quit of bit of research on kibble and blue wilderness was my 3rd choice but was the easiest for me to get.. So I choose it. At 60.00 a bag it better be great.. Orijin and acana were first 2 choices.. But would have to order online and pay shipping

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Sorry to hear your story regarding you losing your dog to the big C. Most of us can relate to that.
Your bully is a cracker and how his found you he ll flourish.
Welcome to the site, keep posting pictures.
I am not getting diesel fixed but I use him sometimes to help a breeder out.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Neutering is one of those debated topics. It's a personal choice. If he's not able to roam free and get into trouble I don't think there is any harm in not neutering him. We've decided not to neuter Hulk, he turns 1 year on Saturday. He's also always with us and on a leash when out, and he never is around females that aren't spayed. I think if an owner is responsible then not neutering is fine. But as I mentioned everyone has their own opinion and debates the pros/cons. You just need to make the decision about what you feel is best for you and your bully :-)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN!

So sorry for the loss of your Panda and your first Pug. You seem very knowledgeable about dogs and behavior so all you are doing with Tyson are great things to get him acclimated to the surroundings and new home... you should allow him to meet your new Pug so he gets to know him just be sure to keep them on leads or have one of them in a crate. Tyson sure is a beautiful bot ... love the photos!

as for the neutering/spaying... it is a personal decision, but one i always choose to do anytime after 6 months of age. I have no intentions of breeding or showing and there are many health risks in not doing it that I prefer to not take a chance with.

Blue is a great food, but if you still wanted to get your #1 or 2 choice... use Petflow as there is free shipping using the EBN code.

And, your Pitty is beautiful!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses… and you seem to care very much for your babies. I've never really dealt w/aggressive dogs, but I do agree that they have a hierarchy that only dogs seem to understand. Have you thought about having a trainer come in to help you? I take my dogs as pups to at least get the training started… I think w/plenty of love & patience your new bully will come around.

We debate neutering on here quite a bit… it's a personal decision. I don't know if I'm going to neuter my baby or not, we've lost 2 bullies to surgery so it's NOT something that I want to think about again. For females I believe it's essential, but I'm defiantly on the fence w/the males.

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN!

So sorry for the loss of your Panda and your first Pug. You seem very knowledgeable about dogs and behavior so all you are doing with Tyson are great things to get him acclimated to the surroundings and new home... you should allow him to meet your new Pug so he gets to know him just be sure to keep them on leads or have one of them in a crate. Tyson sure is a beautiful bot ... love the photos!

as for the neutering/spaying... it is a personal decision, but one i always choose to do anytime after 6 months of age. I have no intentions of breeding or showing and there are many health risks in not doing it that I prefer to not take a chance with.

Blue is a great food, but if you still wanted to get your #1 or 2 choice... use Petflow as there is free shipping using the EBN code.

And, your Pitty is beautiful!
Thanks for the kind words. The picture taken was from 09 my ex wife took my pitbull when we got divorced.. cause my Panda ended up being aggressive with him as well.. And she was definitely out matched.. I'm still dumb founded why she turned out like that. I will always blame myself for doing something wrong with the pack. After countless hours of reading the only thing I can come up with was the fact that Panda was my baby and I think by showing her allot of love and attention it made her think I didn't care about the other dogs so why should she and she was doing her job.. Sounds crazy even to me but from what I have read if you shower one dog with attention in a multi dog home things like that can happen.

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses… and you seem to care very much for your babies. I've never really dealt w/aggressive dogs, but I do agree that they have a hierarchy that only dogs seem to understand. Have you thought about having a trainer come in to help you? I take my dogs as pups to at least get the training started… I think w/plenty of love & patience your new bully will come around.

We debate neutering on here quite a bit… it's a personal decision. I don't know if I'm going to neuter my baby or not, we've lost 2 bullies to surgery so it's NOT something that I want to think about again. For females I believe it's essential, but I'm defiantly on the fence w/the males.
Tyson is not a aggressive from what I have seen so far. My last BD was. I have him set for classes starting the 26th of this month with certified trainer and behavioral trainer. She is the best in my area.. I plan on learning allot from her..

I also canceled Tyson appointment today as I need more time to be sure.. I'm making the rite choice.

I'm adding a few more photos from the 09 to 2010 years and then just one day she changed want people to understand I had no warning signs and these dogs had been buddies for quit some time.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And by all means I always to love here what people have to say.

The pit and the BD on the left are both males and got along fine. It was only my female I had issues with. I will. Never own another female BD. Dogs tend to really get attached to me cause I am such a dog lover and females seem to be the worst this is the only reason for my choice..

Also the male BD is from the same breeder that I took Tyson from. It still baffles me why she did what she did with Tyson. When I dealt with her before she had her stuff together and now it seems she is just in it for the money.

aga2ymuq.jpg

ga4yqu2e.jpg

y4y8umeb.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the kind words. The picture taken was from 09 my ex wife took my pitbull when we got divorced.. cause my Panda ended up being aggressive with him as well.. And she was definitely out matched.. I'm still dumb founded why she turned out like that. I will always blame myself for doing something wrong with the pack. After countless hours of reading the only thing I can come up with was the fact that Panda was my baby and I think by showing her allot of love and attention it made her think I didn't care about the other dogs so why should she and she was doing her job.. Sounds crazy even to me but from what I have read if you shower one dog with attention in a multi dog home things like that can happen.

What beautiful babies. When panda began the aggression was it near the time she was diagnosed or shortly before? Also, I think some females just tend to be more of an 'only dog' personality (not all, but a good amount) I have a female bulldog, Banks... she is brutally dominate, does not like other dogs, but loves people especially children. She will be 9 next month and her training from 11 weeks old has never waivered, we have to keep her in line at all times, give her a quarter of an inch and she will take 10 miles!

OP
phishphan1995

phishphan1995

Jul 31, 2014
It was way before she was 4 when she became and she passed at 7 years 5 months and 4 days old. Panda was exactly the same way loved everything but other animals.. My family hated her for what she did to the pug and they were all upset I didn't get rid of her. There was no way I was getting rid of her she was my response ability.. And after a couple years she won them back over just because she was so sweet to people..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.