The Verdict is TPLO

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thanks for the follow-up. Jewel is now 5-days post-op and hobbling much stronger now. We made a make-shift litter and carried her to her potty area in the yard. We have her in her crate most of the time. We moved family activities to the same room so she is not alone while we are home. We don't want her to feel punished since she has to be in her crate and her brother Bentley has roam of the house (i.e. for the most part). Jewel will have a follow-up for suture removal next week. Again thanks. If you can think of anything else...do not hesitate to drop a line.

Just let her heal. It takes time... I rushed my baby because I used to feel guilty and bad seeing her in that crate all day. So I started taking her on longer walks and to the park within 8 weeks post op then she needed surgery all over again. Then I felt REALLY BAD and realized I needed to be strong and follow her vet's instructions.

She is a little over 12 weeks post-op now. We have been going on long walks and back to off leash park. Since her right leg is SO STRONG when she is sore she will try to limp (maybe for 5 seconds!) then she puts her left leg down and walks normally. I am sure it will take few more months for both legs to be just as strong. Hang in there my friend! It's a long process but it will be for the best! Give her lots of love and kisses!

I did spoiled Izzy a lot during this time... she would get fresh bones daily in her crate! :) I became a regular at the feed store here in Houston!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad she is doing well, and hope she has a speedy recovery.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Just let her heal. It takes time... I rushed my baby because I used to feel guilty and bad seeing her in that crate all day. So I started taking her on longer walks and to the park within 8 weeks post op then she needed surgery all over again. Then I felt REALLY BAD and realized I needed to be strong and follow her vet's instructions.

She is a little over 12 weeks post-op now. We have been going on long walks and back to off leash park. Since her right leg is SO STRONG when she is sore she will try to limp (maybe for 5 seconds!) then she puts her left leg down and walks normally. I am sure it will take few more months for both legs to be just as strong. Hang in there my friend! It's a long process but it will be for the best! Give her lots of love and kisses!

I did spoiled Izzy a lot during this time... she would get fresh bones daily in her crate! :) I became a regular at the feed store here in Houston!

Thank you for your comments. We too have been reluctant to have her in her crate 24/7. We let he out in the evenings and limit her to the couch. On Saturday morning and after we brought her in from potty, she went into the bedroom to hide in order to stay out of her crate. We had a stern talking for which I received the royal stink eye. I told her she must remain immobile for her to heal. She stayed on the couch and was not allowed off except to eat and go potty. She complied for the most part and slept both Saturday and Sunday.

Again thanks for your keenful insight. We are glad to hear that Izzy is doing well and almost healed.
8180efe4f171034e882ef041659291f6.jpg

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
It does help. I think we are going to end up getting the surgery. I was jsut hoping there was slim chance Koozer didn't need it.

annaclarice

Oct 25, 2014
Slidell, La
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Anna Clarice
I am further along than you. My baby Annie has had the surgery and recovered however 6 weeks later she is still not using the leg. Trying to find info on rehab for her.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I am further along than you. My baby Annie has had the surgery and recovered however 6 weeks later she is still not using the leg. Trying to find info on rehab for her.[/QUOTE

I am sorry to hear that. Jewel is using her leg. She hobbles when she first gets up and then walks normal after she has been on it for a while. @Izzy's Mom might be able to shed some light....she has been through this as well. I would most def see your vet who did the surgery as there might be something else going on. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has been through this as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am further along than you. My baby Annie has had the surgery and recovered however 6 weeks later she is still not using the leg. Trying to find info on rehab for her.

My boy had to have his repaired a second time... First surgery, we did the repair with , I think fishing line... It snapped about two or three months later... And we did a second surgery with a thicker line which was the key, he had to use line for larger dogs like mastiffs for it to hold. Get the vet that did the work to look at it, may need to be done again

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=13082]annaclarice[/MENTION] what has her vet said as far as feedback? Are you doing the therapy and massages at home? taking her on slow short walks to make sure she uses the leg? I guess it is uncomfortable but they need to start using the leg at some point. I heard water therapy can help a lot....

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My boy had to have his repaired a second time... First surgery, we did the repair with , I think fishing line... It snapped about two or three months later... And we did a second surgery with a thicker line which was the key, he had to use line for larger dogs like mastiffs for it to hold. Get the vet that did the work to look at it, may need to be done again

I didn't know they offered different thickness on the fishing line.... good to know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I didn't know they offered different thickness on the fishing line.... good to know!

Heck, I never knew it was fishing line till he told us after the first line snapped... I have no idea what I thought they would use, but when he said 'I need to use a thicker fishing line.' -- I looked at our vet and said, why do you need fishing line? DUH!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.