The Verdict is TPLO

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel had her puppy ortho appt yesterday and she has a torn Cranial Cruciate Ligament. So much for when puppies suddenly have lameness with a limp when playing. Should have had her sedated for the Vet to check for a positive or negative drawer sign when she first injured her leg. This would have saved time and maybe a few dollars. But nonetheless, Jewel is scheduled for TPLO surgery a week from today and then a long rehab period.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor Jewel :(. Praying for a smooth surgery and recovery :pray:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
im sorry to hear that! Hoping everything goes well for Jewel and shes up and around and running and playing again soon..Keep us posted .

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Oh no! So sorry to hear about Jewel. How old is she? Rumble had TPLO surgery in May. We are still working on the road to recovery although he thinks he feels just fine! Keeping them quiet is definitely the hardest part. We bought rugs down to put over our tile floors and bought a play pen that we take turns sitting in him with. We also invested in a large number of chew toys to keep him occupied. We will keep Jewel in our thoughts!

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
im sorry to hear that! Hoping everything goes well for Jewel and shes up and around and running and playing again soon..Keep us posted .

Thank you, sir. We will most definitely post updates.
y7eruvut.jpg

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no! So sorry to hear about Jewel. How old is she? Rumble had TPLO surgery in May. We are still working on the road to recovery although he thinks he feels just fine! Keeping them quiet is definitely the hardest part. We bought rugs down to put over our tile floors and bought a play pen that we take turns sitting in him with. We also invested in a large number of chew toys to keep him occupied. We will keep Jewel in our thoughts!

Thank you. Jewel is now 15 months old.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor baby!!! I am on week 9 of recovery! Long process.... good luck to you both!

Greetings Michelle. Thank you. Did Izzy have the same surgery? What are the first 72 hours post-op and home like? Jewel will spend her first night at the vet's office.

BTW. I lived in Houston many moons ago on the west side of town that was outside of the city limits at the time. When we passed through last year, I see the city limits is passed Addicks Dam. We have family in Round Rock, Yoakum, and Corpus Christi.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and recovery! keep us posted on everything

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Greetings Michelle. Thank you. Did Izzy have the same surgery? What are the first 72 hours post-op and home like? Jewel will spend her first night at the vet's office.

BTW. I lived in Houston many moons ago on the west side of town that was outside of the city limits at the time. When we passed through last year, I see the city limits is passed Addicks Dam. We have family in Round Rock, Yoakum, and Corpus Christi.

Rumble also spent the first night at the vet. After that we brought him home and he was an angel to begin with! In fact, as long as he was on pain meds he really just slept most of the time. We could cuddle with him so he did not feel left out. Our biggest problem was he wanted to get to the incision so we bought one of the inflatable soft cones for him to wear.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rumble also spent the first night at the vet. After that we brought him home and he was an angel to begin with! In fact, as long as he was on pain meds he really just slept most of the time. We could cuddle with him so he did not feel left out. Our biggest problem was he wanted to get to the incision so we bought one of the inflatable soft cones for him to wear.

Michelle, Thank you. We have a Kong collar for Jewel instead of the plastic cone. With it, we think she should be more comfortable. Again thanks for your comments.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy

Sorry for the delay replying. First 72 hours were fine, bulldogs are strong more than us!!! I think she was so sedated from all the pain meds that she slept all day long! Had to carry her to go potty, she would move very slow but everything was fine. Week 10-11 today and she is doing great, her muscle started to develop again which means she is back to using her left leg! Yay and very soon we will be able to go back to the off leash dog parks :)

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry for the delay replying. First 72 hours were fine, bulldogs are strong more than us!!! I think she was so sedated from all the pain meds that she slept all day long! Had to carry her to go potty, she would move very slow but everything was fine. Week 10-11 today and she is doing great, her muscle started to develop again which means she is back to using her left leg! Yay and very soon we will be able to go back to the off leash dog parks :)

Thanks for the follow-up. Jewel is now 5-days post-op and hobbling much stronger now. We made a make-shift litter and carried her to her potty area in the yard. We have her in her crate most of the time. We moved family activities to the same room so she is not alone while we are home. We don't want her to feel punished since she has to be in her crate and her brother Bentley has roam of the house (i.e. for the most part). Jewel will have a follow-up for suture removal next week. Again thanks. If you can think of anything else...do not hesitate to drop a line.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hoping for speedy and full recovery!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.